JKU Show your Cage - Opinions

Here's mine many will hate because I made my myself custom.. I like it does what i need it is made from 1.75" DOM .120wall and tied into the frame using poly mounts and DOM in 8 spots fully welded

2c7bd89a5b9efe85ec845c4f23bde3ed.jpg

ea6732692598bf83ead5bebcc81997b0.jpg

8206bea423d023ff94a13c21ab317a17.jpg

cae80ff67cd2f5aebb45f253c8f94053.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GCM 2

Here's mine many will hate because I made my myself custom.. I like it does what i need it is made from 1.75" DOM .120wall and tied into the frame using poly mounts and DOM in 8 spots fully welded Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That came out really cool, I think it looks great. Although I would end eating that sharp point at the rear right in my forehead getting gear out of from the back ;)

jmatta33

Here's mine many will hate because I made my myself custom.. I like it does what i need it is made from 1.75" DOM .120wall and tied into the frame using poly mounts and DOM in 8 spots fully welded

ea6732692598bf83ead5bebcc81997b0.jpg

8206bea423d023ff94a13c21ab317a17.jpg

cae80ff67cd2f5aebb45f253c8f94053.jpg

I think it looks really good minus the little curved half heart pieces on the back. If I had the tools/know how I would have done this instead of the Genright Full Cage.

RLTW!!!

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy

I think that cage is pretty cool. It looks beefy as @@@@! I realy like that you were able to keep the sound bar above the front seats.

Thanks guys! It's still a work in progress I get lazy and have to build other peoples jeeps for them as well so mine sits for a while at a time haha still need suspension seats installed and harness want to build a basket into the back for storage and crap maybe a gun rack as well who knows it's easy to modify and change :)

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door

i dont think anyone is going to hate on you for this cage at all! its badass!

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug

Great work. It's fantastic that you were able to keep it compatible with the factory sound bar when so many big name aftermarket companies have not made that accommodation. Well done.

SoK66

Self-Banned
Lol! I just got finished with a six week exerise in utter exasperation & frustration trying to get Rockhard's cage properly installed in my '09 JKUR. Without a blow-by-blow recanting of the sordid details, the issue was that their dash & overhead bars were about 1/8" - 1/4" too short for my JK. If I tried to force the issue the dash warped and the tension on the bolts was so great it stripped the bolt threads. After a lot of jacking around with e-mails & photos Rockhard sent me a custom made longer dash bar and it all came together fine. The upper bar was also too narrow, but I came up with some workarounds that let me live with it. Because it's too short, it pulled the factory side bars inward, throwing off the indexing for the Freedom Top panels, which were then pulled towards the center of the rig and wouldn't seat or seal. (They also neglect to mention in their, ahem, "sparse" instructions that the inner panels of the tops have to be cut to clear the clamps on the overhead bar.) I resolved this all by clearancing the top panels with a Dremel, and using same to oblong the tops' pin index holes in the factory bars. After all the jacking around, about a dozen installs & removals, etc. I finally got the SOB back from the powder coater this past Monday, put it in and said screw it. There is still a slight warp in the dash but I just ignore it. I can sum it up by saying "more engineering needed". I guess it looks OK now, but I'm still cursing the thing every time I get in the Jeep.

A cage has been on my list of things to do for several years now but always got put off by something sexier. Eddie did a nice, very accurate write up of the Rock Hard cage install several years ago. If you're considering one check it out.

I have a RockHard cage waiting to be installed, but have gotten busy with other things so I can't comment on it yet.

I can however comment on the ORF:

I recently purchased a second JK for my wife. It had an ORF cage in it. I knew there was some issues with the fitment because the tops didn't fit right. I had hoped that this would be a simple adjust to correct, but once I dove into it I ended up pulling the whole thing out and have returned to a stock configuration. In all honesty, I trust the minimal stock structure more than the ORF cage (as it was installed).

While many of the issues were compounded by the installer, the biggest mistake they made was continuing the install the cage after encountering so many issues. There is literally not one piece of the cage that was manufactured completely correct. The windshield piece was manufactured without the holes to bolt it in so the previous owner had it tack welded into place. The windshield uprights were not bent/made correctly and was the main reason the tops wouldn't fit right. The windshield header bar was missing the holes to bolt the header tubes into place so they was just slid on and left loose. Finally, one of the header tube was welded off-line so it had to be opened to install it onto the windshield top tube. Even if the cage had all gone together correctly I am not convinced that the factory pieces that are removed are replaced with more structurally sound ones. (There is some gusseting in the B-pillar that is lost).

This cage now sits in a corner of my shop waiting the next scrap run I make. This Jeep also had an ORF tramp stamp and even it doesn't fit right. (Seriously, it's some holes in a flat piece of steel.) If they can't pull that off I have no desire to try, or even consider their other products. If I was the original purchaser I would've demanded my money back.

Based on Eddie's review of this cage It sounds like I may have an isolated incident, but I don't intend to try again...

Last edited:

sean.m.adams33

I had a rock hard cage in my last rig and when I can I will be installing one on my new rig. It was difficult to install for me but mostly because I was doing it alone (well, with my brother who isn't mechanically inclined). Overall it wasn't that bad when I think of it and all the pieces fit together just fine.

SoK66

Self-Banned
I have a RockHard cage waiting to be installed, but have gotten busy with other things so I can't comment on it yet.

I can however comment on the ORF:

I recently purchased a second JK for my wife. It had an ORF cage in it. I knew there was some issues with the fitment because the tops didn't fit right. I had hoped that this would be a simple adjust to correct, but once I dove into it I ended up pulling the whole thing out and have returned to a stock configuration. In all honesty, I trust the minimal stock structure more than the ORF cage (as it was installed).

While many of the issues were compounded by the installer, the biggest mistake they made was continuing the install the cage after encountering so many issues. There is literally not one piece of the cage that was manufactured completely correct. The windshield piece was manufactured without the holes to bolt it in so the previous owner had it tack welded into place. The windshield uprights were not bent/made correctly and was the main reason the tops wouldn't fit right. The windshield header bar was missing the holes to bolt the header tubes into place so they was just slid on and left loose. Finally, one of the header tube was welded off-line so it had to be opened to install it onto the windshield top tube. Even if the cage had all gone together correctly I am not convinced that the factory pieces that are removed are replaced with more structurally sound ones. (There is some gusseting in the B-pillar that is lost).

This cage now sits in a corner of my shop waiting the next scrap run I make. This Jeep also had an ORF tramp stamp and even it doesn't fit right. (Seriously, it's some holes in a flat piece of steel.) If they can't pull that off I have no desire to try, or even consider their other products. If I was the original purchaser I would've demanded my money back.

Based on Eddie's review of this cage It sounds like I may have an isolated incident, but I don't intend to try again...

From what I can tell ORF is officially out of the cage business. Another lawsuit apparenly.

jkugeza

Looking for pics and comments of those who have JKU installed cages - many options but I've narrowed it down to:

Rock Hard, seems they went through some transition QC issues but they appeared to stand behind their work and they may be back on proper QC, only front section - rear center bar extra

Smittybilt - I know China made but the tube specs look no different than any other and I'm not sure but doesn't most the tubing used come from China anyways? Includes front and rear center bars.

Poison Spyder, I like that their front side support goes all the way to the floor, don't like that there is an upcharge for grab handles and they are the most expensive of the others, tubing sections are fitted (no clamps) like the clean look, front and rear center sections included.

I am going through the same debate, and it seems the longer I think about it the closer I get to Rock Hard. Yes ill have to paint it, but I have heard many stories of the RH cage saving lives. Just my 2 cents

Kpalas

I have a RH cage for my 2014 JKU that is at powder coat but I pre-fitted it before sending it out. I didn't see any QC issues and everything seem to line up ok. The install video they have on their website was a help also. My 2c.

jkugeza

I have a RH cage for my 2014 JKU that is at powder coat but I pre-fitted it before sending it out. I didn't see any QC issues and everything seem to line up ok. The install video they have on their website was a help also. My 2c.

I watch that viedo you talk of yesterday, im probally 90% going with the RH cage, flat black it with a rattle can of black and install it then touch it up. My second thought is a smittybilt src cage, but then I want quality of price.:beer:

Kpalas

Ya, if all you wanted was a street jeep then Smitybilt might be ok but personally I wouldn't trust it on the trail.

mastrcruse

OP, I looked at the cages you note. I struggled with all the opinions and slight differences, read all the threads, etc.

For me, I really wanted some strong tie ins from the cage to the tub or preferably, the frame. My son wheels with me all the time and actually drives as much as I do, he has been driving off-road since he was 14, just turned 16 last week. He is a very good driver but we all know that things can happen on the trail and I wanted the strength of frame tie ins. I ended up going with Synergy's full weld in cage. I felt it was nice compromise between the sport cages and a full tilt custom cage. For me, I am very, very happy with it.

GOPR0027_zps2464b031.jpg

GOPR0026_zps3122fb95.jpg

GOPR0025_zpsb80ed9c6.jpg

GOPR0024_zps86c1ce7a.jpg

GOPR0023_zpsff3c50d2.jpg

I've been looking into getting the synergy kit and wanted to get your feedback after having it for a while. My rig is a DD so I'm also interested in if the jeep got louder or anything I should consider before putting it in. Any thoughts on things you'd add/change ect.? I'm thinking I'd install the clamps so that the 2 harness bars were removable and also put additional triangulation in the B pillar range.

Would like to get your thoughts or anyone else's thoughts on experiences with the synergy kit.

Thanks!

Top Bottom