JL diesel sighting

MudVayne

Caught the Bug
Excited to get these out..I have a 3 year waiting rule on new powertrains before I’ll consider buying one. Usually takes that long for all the kinks to get worked out. Probably the most anticipated powerplant ever in a wrangler.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Exodus 4x4

Excited to get these out..I have a 3 year waiting rule on new powertrains before I’ll consider buying one. Usually takes that long for all the kinks to get worked out. Probably the most anticipated powerplant ever in a wrangler.

I think the most anticipated power plant in a Wrangler will remain the V8.

I’m anxious to see how this pans out but I really don’t see it as cost effective. After the initial price tag and then all the aftermarket delete work to make it “fun”, it seems it would be costly.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi

I’m anxious to see how this pans out but I really don’t see it as cost effective. After the initial price tag and then all the aftermarket delete work to make it “fun”, it seems it would be costly.

It’s an interesting engine, but I really can’t see myself purchasing one. Ditto on the 2.0 L turbo. With the new transmission options, the 3.6 is plenty. I don’t see a v8 happening from the factory. That means swaps.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Disagree. Having a diesel on a wrangler, with its tasty low end torque, mileage (tank not mpg) and the ability to twist big tires and not be too affected with armor/weight, IMHO, it makes it the perfect engine for the wrangler, and one I've been hoping they put in since I got my first JK. I would gladly pay a $5000 premium for the 3.0L turbo diesel.

fiend

Caught the Bug
I can’t see them putting a factory V8 in a wrangler. Everything’s heading to lighter weight and better gas mileage. Aside from expensive high performance ones, V8s don’t qualify. I think we’ll see more turbo 4s and maybe small clean diesels replace even V6s soon.

Exodus 4x4

I can’t see them putting a factory V8 in a wrangler. Everything’s heading to lighter weight and better gas mileage. Aside from expensive high performance ones, V8s don’t qualify. I think we’ll see more turbo 4s and maybe small clean diesels replace even V6s soon.

Yeah it’ll never happen, and I’m ok with that. Keeps me busy putting them in there!

trailraider

Yeah it’ll never happen, and I’m ok with that. Keeps me busy putting them in there!

it really is a shock FCA hasn't gone the V8 direction with Wrangler. (not that I want to see the conversions for you disappear) FCA seems to be the only manufacturer that is continually uping horse power and no signs of any hybrid/electric vehicle for production.Why not just go for broke and give the consumers what they want already. the diesel has had its issues with emissions continually bumping production back year over year, they at least have the hemi emissions in check.

just my $.02

nmwranglerx

Caught the Bug

I agree. I had a conversation with a non jeeper friend of mine and he couldn't understand why they don't offer a V8 option. I didn't know how to explain why they don't other than it would be bad fuel economy. He said that didn't make sense to him when there are plenty of trucks and other vehicles out there that still offer V8s. Then I said, well, it would make wranglers too expensive to which he replied people who want the option would probably be willing to pay it. In the end, I couldn't properly justify Chrysler's decision to not offer a V8 option. I'm guessing the beefed up drive train components in combination with the engine would just make the price tag to hefty, not to mention EPA regulations. It still seems to me that it would be possible to make it work.

dillard09

It sounded nice, like a 335d I had. Not very loud but very distinctive. I walked behind it to see if I could hear the turbo like I could on some other diesels but I couldn’t. I peeked under at the muffler and saw what looked like a DEF tank, it looked like a prototype more than a final product. They were also testing a Dodge truck

Did the rear by the muffler look like this?

Attachments

• 20170908_140237.jpg
    20170908_140237.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 105

dillard09

The muffler looked a little wider and was black, it didn’t stand out as much as that. The DEF (?) tank was on the other side and hung as low as that. I don’t see that in your picture.

Gotcha. Seen that guy on the road a little while ago and noticed the muffler looked funny and it had a black box beside it. This was a jk but it had the big red button on the dash. And when we got up beside him to take pics he seen us and he stepped on it. We were going around 100 and he was pulling away from us.

Top Bottom