Just changed ball Joints now death wobble is there.

I didn’t read everything cuz I’m lazy, did you scrape a wheel weight off on accident taking the tires off/on? Can normally tell there’s a clean spot where it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Wethy

I didn’t read everything cuz I’m lazy, did you scrape a wheel weight off on accident taking the tires off/on? Can normally tell there’s a clean spot where it used to be.

Not that i know of..... and maybe ill just dig my nittos out of storage and try them if ot comes down to tires.. but really it doesnt make sense that i had no death wobble with bad ball joints and then have death wobble after installing new OEM ball joints.

Not that i know of..... and maybe ill just dig my nittos out of storage and try them if ot comes down to tires.. but really it doesnt make sense that i had no death wobble with bad ball joints and then have death wobble after installing new OEM ball joints.

You measure your alignment as well?

cpefy3

This is my issue....

This came about as a result of installing brand new mopar ball joints; upper and lower. And i just installed a brand new passenger side bearing. And the drivers was changed before my moab trip in august. And the death wobble cMe about after installing the new parts this past weekend.

Are you sure you torqued the unit bearing you replaced to the correct spec?

Wethy

I usually just put it in gear and 4hi then tighten it. But i did use loctite also. Ive had it off a few times before to do Ujoints and such. So its just par for the course now doing it ha ha

Wethy

Bumpin this thread as im still trying to sort this out.

Real quick how much play should my tie rods have. Theyre tight horizontally and it rotates freely but im urious about vertically(if i try to compress the cup into the stem of the TRE)?

Thanks in advance

WJCO

Meme King
Real quick how much play should my tie rods have. Theyre tight horizontally and it rotates freely but im urious about vertically(if i try to compress the cup into the stem of the TRE)?

If they 'pop' visually while someone else is turning the steering wheel, they're bad. But if you were to put channel locks on them and compress the ball/socket joint, I've seen some move like 1/16" and it's fine.

Having someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch the tie rod is the best way to see if there is excessive play.

Wethy

If they 'pop' visually while someone else is turning the steering wheel, they're bad. But if you were to put channel locks on them and compress the ball/socket joint, I've seen some move like 1/16" and it's fine.

Having someone turn the wheel back and forth while you watch the tie rod is the best way to see if there is excessive play.
I did that. I dont hear anything while someone else turns the wheel however while driving at slow speeds sometimes theres a pop. But mine definitely have more like a 1/4" probably. Ill try to upload a video

WJCO

Meme King
Heres a video of the movement

https://youtu.be/4DUaKj-vJWM

I just went out to the garage and did that same test on our 2011 JK and our 2020 Jeep Gladiator. I don't recall when we changed the tie rod on the JK, but it's got over 200k on it. Neither of them move like yours does. I could only get about 1/16" out of movement on each Jeep. Looks like yours is bad.

Wethy

I just went out to the garage and did that same test on our 2011 JK and our 2020 Jeep Gladiator. I don't recall when we changed the tie rod on the JK, but it's got over 200k on it. Neither of them move like yours does. I could only get about 1/16" out of movement on each Jeep. Looks like yours is bad.
Thats kind of what i figured this is the original tierod so it has over 340,000 KM and both sides are like that. Ive ordered a new tie rod this evening and i just thought id get some other opinions while i wait for it to show up ha ha

Bierpower

Hooked
Thats kind of what i figured this is the original tierod so it has over 340,000 KM and both sides are like that. Ive ordered a new tie rod this evening and i just thought id get some other opinions while i wait for it to show up ha ha
You meant tie rod ends correct? Just want to make sure you didn't spend a bunch of money on something not needed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Wethy

What brand did you order?

Sent from my SM-G986U using WAYALIFE mobile app
I just got the crown tie rod. Mostly because of the Canadian dollar right now i seriously considered getting bubbas but i could get the crown one for a third of the price by three time id get his shipped up here and converted to cad$ so that will be next time most likely
You meant tie rod ends correct? Just want to make sure you didn't spend a bunch of money on something not needed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app
Correct. Im replacing the whole tie rod assembly because both TRE's have that much play in them.

Top Bottom