King Coilover Maintenance

SFNick

I received my used King coilovers Tuesday & finally had some time to clean them up today. I opened the box & I was surprised by how neglected these things were. After about an hour of scrubbing with steel wool & a rubbing compound I was able to get most of the rust off. The shafts look great with no dimples & the seals don't seem to have any leaks. Now I just need to find something I can coat them with so they won't rust again? I'm think of a spray on clear coat. Also, while I had them apart I initially order a set of AGM sliders but decided to order the new King sliders instead. We will see how they do. Does anyone know if it's best to mount the sliders with the longer end up or down?

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429820468.161134.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429820400.594670.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429820418.652023.jpg

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429820486.047338.jpg

utiadam

LOSER
You did a pretty good job cleaning those up! Those look like the updated sliders that Mel posted a video about. Do you have the equipment to check/adjust nitrogen pressures? You can probably go to an off road shop and have them check them.

SFNick

You did a pretty good job cleaning those up! Those look like the updated sliders that Mel posted a video about. Do you have the equipment to check/adjust nitrogen pressures? You can probably go to an off road shop and have them check them.

Thanks! I had the pressure checked earlier today only cost $7 but I don't think they had to add any nitrogen. Now I need to fab up some 1/2" pacers to get them mounted.

SFNick

All mounted up! Nice & shiny guess we will see how long they stay that way. After switching the new sliders there is finally no more coilover noises!

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429920681.446501.jpg

Yup, Spherical Bearing spacers. I just took a 1" bolt spacer & cut it in half with a hack saw.

My rears had an awesome snap together set that stayed in the eyelets perfectly. I'm thinking I will order a couple as spares....:rock::rock: You will love the new set up. It has made my rig more that capable for me.

SFNick

My rears had an awesome snap together set that stayed in the eyelets perfectly. I'm thinking I will order a couple as spares....:rock::rock: You will love the new set up. It has made my rig more that capable for me.

Would of been nice to have some that stayed in. Took me forever to get those things to line up. Lol

JT Bone

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430025188.303007.jpg ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1430025276.701465.jpg

Did this today and got mad at myself. I got lazy about checking nitrogen in my shocks and I noticed the ride getting really soft in the rear. Haven't check psi in months. The right rear was dead empty and the rest were about 50 psi. I have really been beating these coilovers with high speed desert runs lately. And noticed the rear bottoming out on the hydraulic bump stops a lot. Need to step up my game to once a month and check for 150 psi if I flog the Jeep. If the shocks run a while with no nitrogen, oil can sneak past the seals and they not only start leaking but it can get past the piston and create a dead spot with no dampening in the first few inches of shock travel.

Just a heads up if you wheel a lot. Your jeep is looking good and nice job finding used Kings online. Pretty rare.

SFNick

View attachment 139403 View attachment 139404

Did this today and got mad at myself. I got lazy about checking nitrogen in my shocks and I noticed the ride getting really soft in the rear. Haven't check psi in months. The right rear was dead empty and the rest were about 50 psi. I have really been beating these coilovers with high speed desert runs lately. And noticed the rear bottoming out on the hydraulic bump stops a lot. Need to step up my game to once a month and check for 150 psi if I flog the Jeep. If the shocks run a while with no nitrogen, oil can sneak past the seals and they not only start leaking but it can get past the piston and create a dead spot with no dampening in the first few inches of shock travel.

Just a heads up if you wheel a lot. Your jeep is looking good and nice job finding used Kings online. Pretty rare.

Thanks for the heads up. Now you got me worried! Lol I need to get a little nitrogen bottle set up like you got.

Top Bottom