King Of The Hammers 2015 official thread

rubicrawl

Well, even though it is the desert southwest, it does get really f'ing cold out there at night. It is not uncommon to have temps easily slide into the mid 20's through the night and then when you combine that with the temps that can get into the mid 60's to low 70's through the day, the 40 degree temperature shift from day to night makes it rough to deal with. There is always a chance of rain, and you can see the snow covered peaks of Big Bear mountain across the valley. Not many people are wearing shorts at KOH....

Even if you only come out for the final race day on Friday, it really is a pretty cool to be a part of.

Luckily for you KOH is in a new year, which resets my allotted number of yearly PB&J sandwiches. Vegas to Reno had me max out my limit of 5 PB&J's all in one day, and at one pit stop.

I might have to just go there Friday I want to be there the week but it's getting harder for me to do stuff on my own cause of wife and my 2 boys but we will see

jesse3638

Hooked
Is there talk of having an official Wayalife camp site? Could make for some entertaining nights..:)

Sent from my 831C using WAYALIFE mobile app

I better see you next year!!!!
Missed you this year.
As you know it is crazy how busy all the teams are during race week.

DSC06303_zps3b5be865.jpg

DSC05359_zps29798980.jpg

DSC05309_zps02a95523.jpg

CJBrian

As long as my kid shows up on or before the 1/23 due date I will be there racing under the evo banner. In the process of selling my utv so I won't have one built by koh but I got a loaner.:D

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
As long as my kid shows up on or before the 1/23 due date I will be there racing under the evo banner. In the process of selling my utv so I won't have one built by koh but I got a loaner.:D

Are you going to build a 1000 or a car this time around?

CJBrian

Will be building a 1000 as soon as my 900 sells. Will be ready for the rest of the Ultra4 series that starts in may. If I'm able to to race koh it will be in a loaner utv provided by a teammate.

David1tontj

Ok- my wife is awesome and wants me to take a couple friends down from oregon for this years race!
I'm super excited to hang out with wayalifers, and watch Mel and Greg take first place!

I have a couple possible options, and I'm trying to figure out what's best. Any input from experiences KOH attendees would be appreciated.

Option 1- fly down to Vegas, get a hotel for duration, rent a car to drive the 3 hours to the race on Friday. Camp Friday night, hang out Saturday, and fly back Sunday..

Opt 2- make the 17 hour drive and camp the whole time. (Thursday night-Sunday morning due to work)
Probably be in a chevy Colorado.

Opt 3- bring the Tj! It's a long drive, and we will have a lot of crap, so I think I would trailer it.

Questions-

- is it worth the money to get my jeep down there?
- would we be able to get to the camp spot and the good spots of the race in a rental car? Or the Colorado? We aren't pansies, and I'm not afraid to wheel a rental car harder than that guy in his LR3!
- will people be doing trail runs on Saturday?
- Is there anything else I need to know?

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
Was there last year for the first time. You can easily get to hammertown / camping areas in any kind of rental car. Now getting out to the good viewing spots you are going to want something with 4wd if possible. We got close to chocolate thunder last yr in the goofy rental before being stuck in the sand. The rest of the time we left the car and rode with our friends that had a Tahoe. Had no issues getting around in that to any of the good spots. Would have loved to have my Jeep out there but just wasn't possible.

Definitely plan for all weather conditions. Last year it rained some, was in low 30s / high 20s at night and then 60s in day. Just layer up is the best way. Can't make it this year unfortunately.

13_gecko_rubi

Caught the Bug
One other thing I'd add for your plans. Look into renting RV. We flew into LA and rented an RV and stayed at JV Wed-Sat. I think it was 600-700ish total. I think it was El Monte we rented from if I remember right. Was about same cost as hotels etc and the experience of staying there is great. Was great to have somewhere to go back to get out of the wind, grab some grub, etc.

CJBrian

I say get there mon watch back door challenge, tues 4400 qualifies, wed utv (evo will have 2 or 3 racing this year) thurs stock, mod, spec and legends race (2 evo jeeps racing), fri big race (evo1 races), sat trails and sun haul ass home.

I say camp at hammertown that's part of the fun. Rental car will make it to hammertown but little tricky for a car to make it to back door or chocolate thunder but I've seen people do it.

If you want to fly there you might want to try Ontario it's closer and stay in hotel in surrounding towns like yucca valley, apple valley, Victorville etc.

Top Bottom