King of the Hammers - May 24-25

GCM 2

Andrew it was great to meet you and Frank today at the race. This Glen Helen race is much more relaxed than the main event out in Johnson Valley back in February, the Discount Tire/Off Road Evolution team is way more prepared this time.

So here are a couple of updates:
EVO TJ- like I said in February at the King of the Hammers, this race car is FAST. In fact tonight, Mel qualified for 1st position in the stock class with a blistering time. So fast, that his stock class fastest qualifying lap, was faster than the guy who ran the fastest qualifying lap in the modified class. That's right, he ran faster than the class of race car above him in qualifying! Needless to say when you beat the bigger boys at their game, you can bet people are going to be interested in why you are so fast. I will not get into the rule book, but a couple of people protested the reasoning for his insanely quick lap times is solely due to the suspension setup the EVO TJ is running. They are all somewhat warranted initially, until the suspension is explained, and realize it is quite legitimate and not cheating. Basically in the stock class, coilover suspension is not allowed. EVO TJ runs a spring over shock, not a coilover. Anyway, no problems now, but you can bet if that little TJ is sitting on the podium, someone will protest and a serious post-race tech inspection will happen. Mel will basically drive much more conservative during the race, and save it for the end.

EVO1- the legendary JK that's racing in the unlimited/ultra4 class has its hands full. Racing against full blown tube buggies that weigh 2000-3000 lbs less than the street legal wrangler unlimited, Mel has always known that EVO1 can't win against the purpose built buggies, but still likes the fact that he can get out there and compete with them on a much greater level than expected from a daily driver. EVO1 is running on 37"s for the race and so are all the other competitors that are smart. This is a track that's smooth, no rocks, so the big sidewall flex is not needed. The tires are run much harder too. EVO1 is running strong, no overheating, no trans issues. Mel just wants the rig to finish.

So tomorrow the racing starts around 8am. Mel gets about an hour of rest between the two different races; stock/modified and unlimiteds.

Lets hope our team finally gets a finish under their belt, maybe even more ;)

Last edited:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
Ditto Greg. Thanks for taking time to chat and hang out. I'm rooting for the EVO team and from what I've seen I won't be surprised to see not only a finish but a win. Knock em dead buddy.

JandSJK

Andrew it was great to meet you and Frank today at the race. This Glen Helen race is much more relaxed than the main event out in Johnson Valley back in February, the Discount Tire/Off Road Evolution team is way more prepared this time.

EVO TJ- like I said in February at the King of the Hammers, this race car is FAST. In fact tonight, Mel qualified for 1st position in the stock class with a blistering time. So fast, that his stock class fastest qualifying lap, was faster than the guy who ran the fastest qualifying lap in the modified class. That's right, he ran faster than the class of race car above him in qualifying! Needless to say when you beat the bigger boys at their game, you can bet people are going to be interested in why you are so fast. I will not get into the rule book, but a couple of people protested the reasoning for his insanely quick lap times is solely due to the suspension setup the EVO TJ is running. They are all somewhat warranted initially, until the suspension is explained, and realize it is quite legitimate and not cheating. Basically in the stock class, coilover suspension is not allowed. EVO TJ runs a spring over shock, not a coilover. Anyway, no problems now, but you can bet if that little TJ is sitting on the podium, someone will protest and a serious post-race tech inspection will happen. Mel will basically drive much more conservative during the race, and save it for the end.

EVO1- the legendary JK that's racing in the unlimited/ultra4 class has its hands full. Racing against full blown tube buggies that weigh 2000-3000 lbs less than the street legal wrangler unlimited, Mel has always known that EVO1 can't win against the purpose built buggies, but still likes the fact that he can get out there and compete with them on a much greater level than expected from a daily driver. EVO1 is running on 37"s for the race and so are all the other competitors that are smart. This is a track that's smooth, no rocks, so the big sidewall flex is not needed. The tires are run much harder too. EVO1 is running strong, no overheating, no trans issues. Mel just wants the rig to finish.

So tomorrow the racing starts around 8am. Mel gets about an hour of rest between the two different races; stock/modified and unlimiteds.

Sending good luck wishes to Mel and the crew. would be awesome to be there to watch. Going to have to live with all teh pictures you guys hopefully post up.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Thanks for the report Greg! Too bad I can't be there, it sounds like tomorrow will be great! Good luck to the team!

Are you co driving EVO TJ again or did they fix the cage so Jim can co drive?

JAGS

Hooked
This Glen Helen race is much more relaxed than the main event out in Johnson Valley back in February, the Discount Tire/Off Road Evolution team is way more prepared this time.

Will be great to see them run again. I'll be out tomorrow about mid morning to cheer on the EVO team just like at hammers. Only this time no pulling line or blown alternators please.

Hopefully you'll still be around as well. Maybe grab a beer once the day is over. I think they'll be a small group of there.

Jason

GCM 2

Are you co driving EVO TJ again or did they fix the cage so Jim can co drive?

Jim's not even here this weekend. No co-driver needed in this type of event since its on basically a really loooonggg motocross track that has been smoothed out. But the cage was fixed so we all fit in the car ;)

Shake and bake bitches!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Jim's not even here this weekend. No co-driver needed in this type of event since its on basically a really loooonggg motocross track that has been smoothed out. But the cage was fixed so we all fit in the car ;)

Shake and bake bitches!

Ah gotcha.

If ya ain't first, your last!

EVO1 out of first prelim with overheating issues. too bad too because it was running really good and picking up spots.

Turning focus on the TJ !!!

andrew -

GCM 2

Big Mel and little Mel about to head out in the TJ, I'll give up a co-driver seat any day to a father and son combo. That's is living a family dream for the Wades!

Attachments

• image-1480672633.jpg
    image-1480672633.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 104
Top Bottom