KMC Beadlock Ring Bolts.. Replace what they came with?

Question for those who have KMC beadlocks... how’re your bolts holding up? I got my XD232 (in black) from Bubba this past weekend and this morning I popped off one of the bolts that it ships with to hold the ring. Looking at it, seems as though it’s going to corrode in no time, but maybe I’m wrong. I figure I rather replace the first time around than after they’re on. As you can see in the pictures a lot of the black is already gone without even having been installed. Also, if I’m going to replace what is the size and would there be any option that is black? I tried finding it online and think it is 3/8-18x1.5?
IMG_3910.jpg IMG_3909.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

A.J.

I just mounted mine up a couple weeks ago. Black same as yours. They came with extras in the box so you will have a few left over when you’re done. Once they are torqued down they stick through a fair amount. I just figured between the rock hash on the rings and re torque every so often I’ll probably just hit them with a rattle can as needed. Or a q-tip with paint on it whatever. I’m not that picky about aesthetics as some though.

I just mounted mine up a couple weeks ago. Black same as yours. They came with extras in the box so you will have a few left over when you’re done. Once they are torqued down they stick through a fair amount. I just figured between the rock hash on the rings and re torque every so often I’ll probably just hit them with a rattle can as needed. Or a q-tip with paint on it whatever. I’m not that picky about aesthetics as some though.

Yeah I figure I will be doing the same. Just thought if there’s a preventative measure, may as well. Especially living where they salt the crap out of roads.

Ddays

Hooked
Whatever you end up with, don't waste your time on any bolts with the black oxide finish. After the first time they're exposed to road salt they'll start to rust & look like shit. I tried using them on my skins a couple years ago & took them back out within a couple weeks. Really, any finish is going to wear off eventually. Especially considering how many times you have to tighten each bolt during the torquing process :crazyeyes: Best bet is probably applying touchup paint after.

Whatever you end up with, don't waste your time on any bolts with the black oxide finish. After the first time they're exposed to road salt they'll start to rust & look like shit. I tried using them on my skins a couple years ago & took them back out within a couple weeks. Really, any finish is going to wear off eventually. Especially considering how many times you have to tighten each bolt during the torquing process :crazyeyes: Best bet is probably applying touchup paint after.

Thanks, I’ll stay away from the black oxide. I don’t mind them getting beat up but the OCD side of me at least wants them to look nice when I first put them on. Think a little touch up stick will do the trick tho.
Thankfully I’ve got a friend willing to help me out with the install and I’m making sure I’ve got two hexes plus air and battery impact. He’s just racking up the IOUs for his upcoming JL purchase 🤣

Coop

Caught the Bug
The bolts look similar to the ones on my ATX slabs. You can get stainless steel replacements for double the cost. I bought a few stainless bolts as replacements but after two years on salted roads I can’t tell the stainless from the regular bolts. They all look like crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

fiend

Caught the Bug
The bolts look similar to the ones on my ATX slabs. You can get stainless steel replacements for double the cost. I bought a few stainless bolts as replacements but after two years on salted roads I can’t tell the stainless from the regular bolts. They all look like crap.

Stainless steel is also generally weaker than steel fasteners, eg grade 5, 8, etc. I would not use stainless fasteners for bead lock rings.

Brute

Hooked
Since your dealing with dissimilar metals, just make sure to use a copious amount of anti-sieze when installing the bolts for a dielectric barrier...

Since your dealing with dissimilar metals, just make sure to use a copious amount of anti-sieze when installing the bolts for a dielectric barrier...

If they are the same as slabs I replaced mine with these when I purchased my wheels used, and like Brute said I used anti seize on them.
View attachment 326089

Yeah I’d come across this site when I was looking for possible replacements. And I’ve got anti-seize ready to go after watching Mel’s video as well as Eddie’s more recent one. All I need now are the tires and air compressor. I guess more than anything I was surprised the bolts would be painted. Sure there’ll come a day I need/want to replace them and have more questions.

Brute

Hooked
So what if any lube are others using? I didn’t add anything per instructions, but felt I should have used anti-seize. Thoughts?

I had a set of AEV bead locks several years ago that were bolted together without anti seize...they were a serious problem taking apart.

If you check your bolts periodically like you should, anti seize isn’t a problem...I suspect the disclaimer is more a liability issue for the manufacturer...

danford.lau

Caught the Bug
I didn’t use any anti seize on the bolts for my machetes . Didn’t see any instructions to . Plan is to torque bolts at every oil change . Also live in SoCal so that helps

dillard09

Back when I had my Slabs, if I needed parts I got them from Spyderlock. AJ the owner was very knowledgeable about beadlocks and she was very helpful. They were hardened nickle plated grade 8 bolts. Kinda expensive but I knew I was getting exactly what I needed. I think they were $1 a bolt. Not exactly sure if they are the same exact size for your wheels.

Braxtonsag

i didn't use any type of lube on my slabs that i can remember. i also haven't been re-torquing them regularly like i should have been. I'm pulling them apart this weekend to swap out for machetes. Hopefully i don't run into issues being that i live out in the rust belt. We will see, i torqued a few the other day to make sure they werent seized and they moved freely so hoping it wont be an issue.

Coop

Caught the Bug
I recently unbolted my slab rings and was surprised they came apart without any issues. Only had one threaded insert come out with the bolt. Never used anti-seize on the bolts.

Top Bottom