Knuckles Offroad Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier

bmaloy32

Great write up!

I'm currently in the process of installing my KOR front and rear bumpers. Front bumper went on pretty easy with the exception of still needing to relocate the vacumm pump. I'm about to tackle the rear bumper. This write up has been a huge help so far...Just wanted to say thanks!!!

jk12blk

My rear bumper is being a PITA. Holes arent lining up.... Imma try a new tactic tomorrow and see if it works....
If you are talking about the four frame cross member bolts, I was only able to get three to work. For some reason, they are difficult to line up.

Pyro1415

If you are talking about the four frame cross member bolts, I was only able to get three to work. For some reason, they are difficult to line up.

Hey man how is this thing holding up over times? Any sag, squeaks or complaints?

WJCO

Meme King
I'm currently in the process of installing my KOR front and rear bumpers. Front bumper went on pretty easy with the exception of still needing to relocate the vacumm pump. I'm about to tackle the rear bumper. This write up has been a huge help so far...Just wanted to say thanks!!!

Welcome to WAL.

My rear bumper is being a PITA. Holes arent lining up.... Imma try a new tactic tomorrow and see if it works....

Welcome to WAL.

jk12blk

Hey man how is this thing holding up over times? Any sag, squeaks or complaints?
So far so good. No issues and the bumper is still very solid. It's fine for rock crawling, but not high speed stuff. Super easy to take on and off as I sometimes strap the tire inside and remove the skewer. Here are some photos from a Fordyce Creek trip last Nov - gives you an idea of what carrying a 40 looks like. Btw, KOR makes three types of tire mounts that work with the carrier. I have the traditional and skewer and may purchase the horizontal carrier this year. Good luck with whatever you decide.

IMG_8771.jpg IMG_8909.jpg IMG_8920.jpg IMG_8924.jpg

Pyro1415

So far so good. No issues and the bumper is still very solid. It's fine for rock crawling, but not high speed stuff. Super easy to take on and off as I sometimes strap the tire inside and remove the skewer. Here are some photos from a Fordyce Creek trip last Nov - gives you an idea of what carrying a 40 looks like. Btw, KOR makes three types of tire mounts that work with the carrier. I have the traditional and skewer and may purchase the horizontal carrier this year. Good luck with whatever you decide.

View attachment 184798 View attachment 184799 View attachment 184800 View attachment 184801

Yeah I found out they have temporarily stopped production, hopefully they get back to it before May.

wiredinoc

Old thread. I purchased this bumper kitt. The rear bumper is problematic. I don't have the skewer, thank gawd but the regular tire carrier. Had to tack weld the tire mount due to vibration. The heim joint does not allow the carrier to fully close. End result, the tire sits about 8" from the tail gate and cocked in an angle. I have rotopax in the but the overhang is not acceptable. Contacted these guys numerous tiimes over the issue and threw my hand up. Not happy with this purchase. Shoddy engineering and craftsmanship in this area by knuckles offroad. Just learned the company is also out of business and no longer producing bumpers. Pretty bummed at the local shop that recommended these guys.. Additionally, no options for a cargo carrier and impossible to pull one off without custom fabrication.

Trying to see if I can get a garvin or LOD carrier to fit on the bumper spindle. Buyer beware.

Last edited:

Pyro1415

Old thread. I purchased this bumper kitt. The rear bumper is problematic. I don't have the skewer, thank gawd but the regular tire carrier. Had to tack weld the tire mount due to vibration. The heim joint does not allow the carrier to fully close. End result, the tire sits about 8" from the tail gate and cocked in an angle. I have rotopax in the but the overhang is not acceptable. Contacted these guys numerous tiimes over the issue and threw my hand up. Not happy with this purchase. Shoddy engineering and craftsmanship in this area by knuckles offroad. Just learned the company is also out of business and no longer producing bumpers. Pretty bummed at the local shop that recommended these guys.. Additionally, no options for a cargo carrier and impossible to pull one off without custom fabrication.

Trying to see if I can get a garvin or LOD carrier to fit on the bumper spindle. Buyer beware.

Got some pictures I'm a visual person. This thing was high on the want list.

wiredinoc

Hey Pyro, I'll try to get some pictures. Before purchasing I would advise looking at the knuckles facebook page. It states they are not out of business, but are no longer making product, which seems synonymous. Their old website appears to be gone as well, replaced by what looks to be a liquidator of remaining stock.

Last edited:

wiredinoc

One final thing I forgot to mention.

The kit requires a back plate that attaches to the tail gate. In the middle of the plate there is a ridiculously large KOR logo that leaves an equally large hole in the tailgate. This allows direct water intrusion during rain or washing your jeep, directly inside the guts of the tailgate. The back plate also allows accumulation of debris which will undoubtedly cause significant tailgate corrosion over time.

Pyro1415

Hey Pyro, I'll try to get some pictures. Before purchasing I would advise looking at the knuckles facebook page. It states they are not out of business, but are no longer making product, which seems synonymous. Their old website appears to be gone as well, replaced by what looks to be a liquidator of remaining stock.

Yeah apparently they tried to relocate then didn't adjust cost. Kinda the basics of business but to each there own.

For archival purposes, as this bumper isn't really discussed elsewhere.

This looks like the swing arm spindle kit and a number of other parts used on these bumpers:

https://www.comp4x4.com/Heavy-Duty-Rear-Bumper-Tire-carrier-Builders-Kit.html

With this, you can probably fab-out the shortcomings of the carrier design.

Dude your awesome. I might just have to do this, I just worry about buying a budget spindle to hold up my 37 lol.

One final thing I forgot to mention.

The kit requires a back plate that attaches to the tail gate. In the middle of the plate there is a ridiculously large KOR logo that leaves an equally large hole in the tailgate. This allows direct water intrusion during rain or washing your jeep, directly inside the guts of the tailgate. The back plate also allows accumulation of debris which will undoubtedly cause significant tailgate corrosion over time.

That's shitty guess I'll keep my current tramp stamp.

Top Bottom