Leak after new driveshaft install

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
Put jeep in 4 whee drive. Then set your torque wrench so it can hold itself against the frame.. use pipe if needed then drive the jeep slowly until someone can tell you it clicked

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
damn, didn't think about doing that. Is there a reason I can't just torque to 160? Or are you just saying, if I'm not able to do that?

Thx

you can torque it to 160, easier if you have a longer torque wrench but it still takes some umph to get that last bit until it clicks

I put the transfer case in 4 lo, put it in Park, set the emergency brake then raised the rear axle onto jack stands so I could get some room under there to use my body for better leverage - engine off of course.

If this is a DANA 44 rear I think you're going to need more than 160 ft lbs.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ok guys, thanks for all the advice, I thought I should give somewhat of an update. I ended up taking the jeep to a local shop. I'm in Hawaii and have had a hard time finding places to get anything done.

I was able to use the facilities and tools on base on Tuesday to do the install but I have to go back to work tomorrow. I was still going to try to torque the nut myself today but the local auto parts store didn't have a socket big enough to fit the nut.

So since I'm not 100% sure thats the issue I thought I would take it to a mechanic. It's not ideal, I wish there was a good 4 wheel drive shop local to me but there's not. I've heard good things about this place but they definitely don't specialize in suspensions.

Again, thx for all the support, I'll keep updating as I get further along.

Ok, I have somewhat of a strange update (and new issue) to the driveshaft problem I was having last week. I picked it up from the shop yesterday. When I dropped it off, I let the shop know that I may have not gotten the nut (holding new pinion yoke) tight enough. I was extra (possibly too much so) careful when tightening it down because I didn't want to crush the crush seal. When I picked up the jeep, the shop told me that the yoke was loose (which seemed to confirm that I didn't have the nut tightened down enough). However, they also told me that they replaced the seal. I guess I'm just curious how the seal was damaged if I didn't run the nut down far enough to crush it? I guess the seal could've been bad all along or that it was damaged when I drove the jeep with too much play in the yoke? I didn't think to ask to see the old seal until I left the shop.

This morning I drove the jeep to work. It drove great, I didn't hear or feel any vibrations. My commute to work is about a 30 minute drive. I was almost to my exit and I was changing lanes on the freeway and my ESC light came on. I know sometimes when this happens the system will apply some braking to reduce speed. I didn't feel any braking this time but the light stayed on the rest of the way. I just thought it was really strange since nothing was done to the front end of the jeep?

It's good that they replaced the seal.

I don't think Esc light is not related to your drive shaft issue, but I am not sure [emoji848]

.....…...............................................................
MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

Thx

I've had that light come on before but not in awhile. And when I came on before, it would always go away soon after.

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug

VeruGE*144

Caught the Bug
Thx

I've had that light come on before but not in awhile. And when I came on before, it would always go away soon after.

Is your steering wheel centered?

Also do you have a rubicon and you Like to go through mud and water ?

MY BUILT/REBUILD: http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?44123-Rebuilt-of-a-Billet-Silver-mall-crawler&p=859931#post859931

Is your steering wheel centered?

Also do you have a rubicon and you Like to go through mud and water ?

steering wheel is about as close to center as I can get it...I haven't addressed it in awhile though, I'll take another look after work.

Non Rubi, no mud & water

Top Bottom