Left rear axle shaft seal

He originally installed the bearing and then installed the axle. The bearing broke within the first day of driving it. It caused the axle to slide out and press my brake pad housing against my rotor. I replaced the rotor and then went to a shop and had a new bearing pressed on. I then installed the axle shaft and re attached everything. Everything was installed correctly the second time but somehow the axle slid out again and pressed my brake pad housing against my rotor again. I do t understand why it keeps sliding out. I haven't took the axle off to see if the bearing broke again. I'm just assuming that's what happened because that's what caused the axle to slide out the first time. I'm going to dig into this week. I just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas as to what's going wrong.

Ive seen this before when the dude doesnt assembly it correctly.

If you look at the JK44 rear shaft it goes from the flange inward:

Tone ring
Retainer plate
Seal
Bearing
Collar

Now i have seen it where dude forgets to install the collar which is the most important part. Anyone who has actually installed this themself will know what im talking about when you are putting together a new shaft lets say chromoly shaft... You get the tone ring on the retainer on the seals on now you have to press the bearing on. The bearing is just an interferance fit when using a press it doesnt take much effor to slide it on at all, now the last piece the heart of it all that collar that item is a PRESS fit its DAMN tight I have seen it take up to 10ton to press it on. That collar is what keeps the shaft in the jeep NOT the retainer plate...

If the bearing takes maybe 1-2ton to press on or tap it on with a hammer thats sweet fawk all in terms of press fit... so if you dont put that last collar on and you assemble everything and thing well hell the bearing is pressed on and i tighten up my retainer plate to hold it all in im good to go play with my jeep, WRONG the bearing will warm up under use from load and friction its part of life once it warms up from driving it can expand lets say for the hell of it half a thow well half a thow on a fit like that is night and day so now your retainer plate is holding in your seal and your bearing but your actual axle shaft is literally sliding back out off the bearing.. = bad day no fun haha

you NEED the last piece of the puzzle you must install that collar after you put the bearing on because that collar is really all that holds the bearing on the shaft and you can really see why once youve build a few rear jk44

hope that makes sense for ya!

so if it keeps fawking your breaks but the retainer plate is still good and tight but your axle is moving out put a collar on it!

cheers

JeepinLife

Caught the Bug
It is a different design then most would think. Put it all together right and you're good to go. I've seen guys have to cut off brand new bearing and retainer because they forgot to put the flange on first.

noroad

I was wondering if anyone knew a good place to buy a total over haul kit for rear shafts?? i want to just rebuild them completely and have good spares, also what is the best way to store shafts when they are not in use? or does it not matter, just dont want the seals or bearings to go bad after rebuild?
jk3.jpg

GuillaumeC91

Hi guys,

Trying to see if I can bring this thread back to life so I can get some input. I noticed a small leak coming from the left side rear axle as well and would like some input on tackling it. I've been reading the steps in the write-up here and the only steps missing for me are the steps required to press on a new bearing and get the seals in place. Here's a few questions I have:

• 1. From what I understand, if I'm changing the seals it would be wise (and I think required) to change the axle bearings, correct?
  • 2. Parts needed: Seals x2, Bearing x2, Rings x2?
  • 3. If I'm changing one side, I'm thinking it would be wise to do both sides, makes sense?

Any input from my fellow Jeepers and experts is appreciated.

Cheers,

noroad

Hi guys,

Trying to see if I can bring this thread back to life so I can get some input. I noticed a small leak coming from the left side rear axle as well and would like some input on tackling it. I've been reading the steps in the write-up here and the only steps missing for me are the steps required to press on a new bearing and get the seals in place. Here's a few questions I have:

• 1. From what I understand, if I'm changing the seals it would be wise (and I think required) to change the axle bearings, correct?
  • 3. If I'm changing one side, I'm thinking it would be wise to do both sides, makes sense?

Cheers,

Crown auto sells a kit that has all three in it for like 50 bucks. they also have the retainer ring for cheap as well(one with 4 studs that holds to axle tube)

Tcdawg

Hi guys,

Cheers,

To change the seal you have to cut the bearing retainer and bearing off so, yes, you need new a new bearing and bearing retainer.

You don't need to do the other side if it's not leaking or if the bearing is not bad.

You can re use the retainer plate. The retainer plate nuts are supposedly one time use but I have re used them w no issues.

Last edited:

GuillaumeC91

To change the seal you have to cut the bearing retainer and bearing off so, yes, you need new a new bearing and bearing retainer.

You don't need to do the other side if it's not leaking or if the bearing is not bad.

You can re use the retainer plate. The retainer plate nuts are supposedly one time use but I have re used them w no issues.

Awesome. I've read about the bearing needing to be cut as well. I'll look around to see if we have any kits available up here in Canada without needing to order.

Are the bolts supposed to stretch with heat or something? I've also read that they were supposed to only be used once but I bet they'd be fine the second time around too.

Top Bottom