Let's talk about paint options

This is interesting. I have been talking to body shops and they told me I can get flat color one or two ways. Either incorporate flat pigments in the paint and or apply flat clear. I am told its the clear that truly give the flat in the paint

Oh nice I may have to look into that. I just know mine scratches and don't even consider trying to buff anything out. Makes it so much worse. But now that you mention it I have heard of the flat clear. Will look into it next time I paint mine.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
This is interesting. I have been talking to body shops and they told me I can get flat color one or two ways. Either incorporate flat pigments in the paint and or apply flat clear. I am told its the clear that truly give the flat in the paint

I would at least recommend a single stage urethane or polyurethane with flattener. They do have flattener you can add to your clearcoat as well. You can usually go to your local automotive supply store and they could custom mix a color of your choice and add the flattener.

Bearjew1

theres this guy that lives close by me he dura lined his whole dodge pick up:doh:to be honest it looks kinda cool

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Flat paint is hard enough to keep up on a garage queen sports car. I would never do it on a jeep unless it was colored line x or something. Scratched flat paint looks like crap with the smallest scratches. They are 200% more visible, can't be buffed, tree sap ruins flat paint, bird crap ruins flat paint, etc. I can't think of a worse application for real flat paint than a jeep, not to mention, respraying a jeep tanks it's resale value. I don't see why you would want to spend 5k+ on a quality flat paint just to have it look beat the first time you hit a trail.

Wow ok I have scratches on mine and even some chips where you see the color through items honestly it don't look that bad. I've seen worse on regular paint jobs from the trail. And I also get compliments on my jeep all the time. It all depends on individual owner of the jeep and what their uses of the jeep are. I don't think it's a bad idea. It's all preference to the owner really. I do agree though that it will be hard to resale. Not sure what the dealers with think on trade in but it would take that special person to buy it if you sold it yourself. I would recommend it for someone who planned on keeping their jeep for a long time or has it paid off.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
If I was ever going to tank the resale with a custom paint job, it would only be custom bedliner/kevlar like these guys do (ignore the other mods)

Starwood_Motors_Customized_JeepWrangler_Unlimited_100k1.jpg

AQ_800.jpg

jeeppppp.jpg

11519249_source.jpg

http://www.starwoodmotors.com/web/Custom_Jeeps

Im telling the OP like it is....flat paint costs a ton of money. Flat paint is more susceptible to damage, it's harder to maintain, and it is MUCH MUCH more expensive to fix. It simply doesn't make sense to have it on a Jeep.

Ok I was just informing him from personal experience of actually owning a jeep with a matte black paint job. And I believe I even listed the cons of it which was pretty much what you said. And cost is dependent on body shop and your geographical location. Around here it wouldn't be much more than or same as a regular paint job which is no where near $5k. I will agree that it's not for everyone but I won't agree that it's not for a jeep.

I have thought about the option above also. What is the typical cost for something like that? And does it add a lot if weight?

Last edited:

Md_rubi

I'm not sure if I like the textured look on the entire jeep of the kevar/ linex spray. I do know the gaytorhyde I had on my tube fender was not easy to repair and the attempt to repair looked like crap. I am now looking at military paint, I would think there are lot more durable and the military side in my company told me Sherwood Williams now the official military aircraft paint. I just don't know how much the paint is yet

Top Bottom