lift

dcbjk

Caught the Bug
The question which begs me to ask is what type of driving will you mainly be doing? I ask because my JKU is a DD and wanted something that will perform well on the road as off-road. I have the EVO 3 inch plush ride coils paired with Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks and love it. I gained exactly 3 inches of lift with the EVO Coils. I am currently running Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5x17 and have zero issues with rubbing at full stuff. I know you did not mention EVO Plush ride but wanted to give my opinion. I have had the Pro-Comp 2.5 inch lift and well let's just say it was money I should not have spent. If you have the opportunity seek out other JK owners in your area that various lifts installed and see which one you like the best. It is worth waiting and getting exactly what you want than settling. Ask me how I know? Trust me and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Oh one last tidbit of advice, ride is very subjective. What one likes someone else may not.

R/
Will

I will have to say that riding on and off road is crucial to me cause the way I am looking at it is getting a set of kings adjustable compression shocks so I can adjust how stiff or smooth I want, to stay on track I have always had my mind set on getting a long arm kit cause I have heard that they are stronger kits and ride good on and off road. The objective of my Jeep in my eyes is to be a good DD and a Mid-Level Rock crawler so I hope I'm not confusing anybody but thats the way I've been looking at it. :crazyeyes:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
I will have to say that riding on and off road is crucial to me cause the way I am looking at it is getting a set of kings adjustable compression shocks so I can adjust how stiff or smooth I want, to stay on track I have always had my mind set on getting a long arm kit cause I have heard that they are stronger kits and ride good on and off road. The objective of my Jeep in my eyes is to be a good DD and a Mid-Level Rock crawler so I hope I'm not confusing anybody but thats the way I've been looking at it. :crazyeyes:

sounds like you are wanting the evo enforcer kit to start, then when the funds allow, upgrade to the double d long arm upgrade.

Panda

I have the rubicon express 3.5" superflex lift. I am also running BFG KM2 35's

Here's my experiences with it.

The reason I bought it
Mainly cost. So far it's been pretty decent in that regard. It comes with an adjustable track bar (which works fine), a rear track bar bracket (which seems strong enough, and much stronger than some others I have seen, as it ties into the Lower control arm bracket too), springs obviously, Fixed lower control arms, adjustable upper control arms, brake lines, sway bar disconnects, and bump stops. It seemed to have everything I needed (except shocks but you buy those separately on most kits anyway)

Breakdown of each part
1. Adjustable front track bar. The bushing at the axle mount is getting worn as there's not an entire wall of metal for the bushing to sit against in the bracket, so the upper right bit of bushing is getting gradually eaten away by the edge of the axle mount. This so far hasn't caused any problems. The frame end I just have to grease every now and again. A dab of loctite on the jam nut will keep it from coming loose, I have had that happen

2. Rear track bar bracket. Ties into LCA mount at the axle and has a crush sleeve inserted into the factory track bar bracket, works well enough.

3. lower control arms. Not adjustable, heavier than factory control arms and seemed strong enough for what I do right now, haven't broken anything and the finish is holding up fine on them. You need to grease these somewhat regularly, they have grease zerks.

4. Upper control arms. Adjustable, hold up fine just like the lowers. You also need to grease these, they have grease zerks.

5. Sway bar disconnects. Also have held up fine, but I cannot take the bolt off the top as theyre both seized, I torqued them to spec so :idontknow: These have grease zerks as well at the top, and a nice little holder for them when it's disconnected to attach to and hold the sway bar up and out of the way, I like that little detail.

Now, so far everything has performed as expected and seemed fine for the most part sans a few niggles.

How does it ride?

So, here's where I want to be as critical as possible. It's VERY stiff. I have it paired with the bilstein 5100's and the ride is quite stiff, going over a speed bump will pretty much get air and get a very harsh front jounce, definitely "worse" (IMO) than factory suspension with rubicon shocks, which would glide over speed bumps perfectly. There's a lot of shock transfer to the cab. It's also noisier, if you don't keep up on the greasing then you'll get squeaks, and I get squeaks anyway with the suspension in a droop that I didn't with the factory suspension. I am running with a heavier evo tire carrier in the back now and that helped the stiffer ride, but with a factory bumper in front still and no winch the front is not very forgiving to your kidneys.

The lift itself
I got a lot more than i expected. In fact when I didn't have the evo tire carrier it looked kinda funny sitting on 35's. When I had the top and doors off it would sit awkwardly high on 35's. Now that I have the tire carrier the rear sits just fine I think, but again, my front is still higher than I want. Keep in mind, I have factory uncut flares. If you plan to cut your flares you're going to have the most awkward looking ride with 35's

Problems
I've already mentioned the front track bar bushing, seized bolts on the swaybar links, and quite harsh ride, but I want to bring to light a bigger issue. The provided bump stops in the kit are not long enough in the front. The springs will bottom out and completely collapse and go solid before you're completely compressing the bump stop foam. This means bottoming out is 1. Not as predictable as a feeling, 2. Hard on the springs, and 3. The shocks for a 2-4" lift (listed on sites as general shocks you buy when looking at JK specific ones) will actually bottom out as well and also act as a bump stop! This will destroy your shocks in no time at all. I thought I had a picture of it flexed and showing solid coils, but alas I don't seem to have it. I have personally witnessed it though.

The other BIG problem, is my front driveshaft, unless you want to replace it, get a different kit. My slip shaft boot is completely torn off right now, and the CV joint is at a very extreme angle. It's on its way out and going to be busted any time now. The instructions state you have to remove the skid plate to make clearance for your driveshaft, but if you do that you'll definitely kill your CV boot and destroy it there, if you don't take it out, you'll be notching the skid plate when you fully extend and be rubbing the driveshaft on it, thus tearing the slip shaft boot and eventually cutting your driveshaft in half probably :cheesy: It's a lose lose situation. I opted to keep my factory skid plate because I don't want to remove protection that was already there just to destroy my driveshaft differently...

Also, another thing I wanted to mention was my kit came with 2 right rear braided brake lines. I contacted them and they didn't offer to send out the left one, they actually said "it'll still work fine", and it does, but there's not as much clearance against my tire as there should be. If I was running more backspacing I'd be rubbing the lines regularly. I was not happy that they sent the wrong part and essentially said "deal with it".

Overall, It's an okay lift for the price, but it has its issues. I have also personally driven (a lot) a 2 door JK with a 4" rancho lift (which actually sits lower than my rubicon express 3.5" superflex! [but he also has full steel bumpers]), with adjustable rancho 9000XL shocks, and the difference in ride is night and day, not nearly as harsh as the rubicon express kit. All that being said, would I buy this kit again? Probably not, I am not too unhappy with it, but there are better choices. I could probably fit 37's on this kit with minimal cutting. I can't imagine how tall the 4.5" rubicon express superflex kit actually sits :crazyeyes:

Hope that bit of info helped your decision making, I dunno.

Heavy bumpers and winch didn't make no difference for me my re coils are still a stiff ride :yup:

GNOSIS

Ranching

How big of a tire are you hoping to run? Any reason in particular as to why you'd want to run those kits?

Well I would love to run EVO or Tera but they are pretty spendy for a newbie, I'm wanting to use 35's or 37's with a fender swap out. Rancho is sounding pretty much the choice anything else I need to know from the guru's??

olram30

Well I would love to run EVO or Tera but they are pretty spendy for a newbie, I'm wanting to use 35's or 37's with a fender swap out. Rancho is sounding pretty much the choice anything else I need to know from the guru's??

His name is escaping me, but there is a member that is running the 2" sport kit with 35" tires and flat fenders. I'm really considering that set up for our white jeep. I missed the rebate a few months ago. But Rancho usually has rebates often. Good luck with your decision!

GNOSIS

Omg I'm reading your quote as I lay in a holiday inn express in Boise Idaho lol too weird.

AlexwBlkJK

ok.. so lets say my "overlander":bleh::bleh::bleh:... Camping rig...Is that better...
has 285 or 295/70r17 a 2" budget boost, I splurge and get new longer mono tube shocks I am cool with that height, and ride...:thumb::thumb:
I know I need to have the speedo checked/calibrated for the bigger tires RIGHT?? but I notice my control arms "need"/"want" replacing?? I dont want to go back stock.. I really want something BETTER.... What do I go with? do i have to go with the same control arms as my lift? What is the BIG difference in all these different joint? Greasable or not? I know I just opened a whole new can of worms :clap2::clap2::clap2:
OK.. SO be nice...1st jeep... still reading and learning... She is my mistress...:rock:

Zaphoid

I have been looking to put a lift on my 08 JKUR for quite awhile. I thought I was finally going to pull the trigger on a Rancho 3" Trail with RS9000. I get to the shop and the guy sells me into RE 2-1/2" spring set up with monotube. With the money I save going this way I can put the extra cash into something else, like bumpers, or more lights. I just got the jeep done yesterday and so far everything seems ok. They assured me they would not use the cam bolts' I have not even looked to make sure, but after reading this thread, I'm wondering if I was sold a bill of goods so they could boost commission on what I now learn is there "Shop Brand". I sure don't want buyers remorse for letting them talk me into the RE kit. We are going to do a moderate trail tomorrow. I guess I'll see how it goes..,

olram30

I have been looking to put a lift on my 08 JKUR for quite awhile. I thought I was finally going to pull the trigger on a Rancho 3" Trail with RS9000. I get to the shop and the guy sells me into RE 2-1/2" spring set up with monotube. With the money I save going this way I can put the extra cash into something else, like bumpers, or more lights. I just got the jeep done yesterday and so far everything seems ok. They assured me they would not use the cam bolts' I have not even looked to make sure, but after reading this thread, I'm wondering if I was sold a bill of goods so they could boost commission on what I now learn is there "Shop Brand". I sure don't want buyers remorse for letting them talk me into the RE kit. We are going to do a moderate trail tomorrow. I guess I'll see how it goes..,

Shopping at 4wp?

Zaphoid

I just put 500 miles on the new RE 2.5" kit. Most of it was highway, but we did get a nice trail in also, (Tin Cup). I have to say I am very pleased with the ride both on and off road. I'm not sure if the mono tube shocks made the difference, but much better than stock Rubicon suspension. :clap2: Not too stiff at all.

I will be looking over the entire system this weekend when I change the oil, spark plugs, wires, and adding my new dual battery set up:yup:..... fingers crossed there was no welding from the shop on the RE set up...:crazyeyes:

Top Bottom