Light suggestion

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Would you mind posting a picture of your lighting set up in daylight with the lights off just to see what they look like? and what website are your headlights from? what do the HID projectors look like in 7" round buckets

Here are the projectors during daytime (off)

On

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Great thanks! And what shroud did you go with? Did you get any led rings or anything special or just the basic projector and shroud?

Thanks,
Sean

I have the monster shroud I believe. At the time Tom didn't have any other options. I like it to look simple so I didn't go with any other lights but I do kinda like some of the options he has now. I thought some orange light would look cool as well as being functional as a parking light. I've had mine for over a year and never had a single issue.

I have the monster shroud I believe. At the time Tom didn't have any other options. I like it to look simple so I didn't go with any other lights but I do kinda like some of the options he has now. I thought some orange light would look cool as well as being functional as a parking light. I've had mine for over a year and never had a single issue.

I like the options offered as well but I built a set and they were somewhere around $900. I am stuck between LED headlights an HID but I think I'm sold on HID after seeing your set up and the HID's on my dads Mini Cooper. Thanks for the info

theilkjam

So dont buy rigid D2's??? And does anyone have any imput on the truck lights during a snow storm?

I have the Rigid D2's and I absolutely love them. Mine are on my A pillars and they provide intensely bright light. They also offer different color covers for them. I bought the amber covers and it makes driving in fog rain and snow no problem at all. I highly recommend them.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I have the Rigid D2's and I absolutely love them. Mine are on my A pillars and they provide intensely bright light. They also offer different color covers for them. I bought the amber covers and it makes driving in fog rain and snow no problem at all. I highly recommend them.

Pure white light will bounce off the snow and basically blind you (falling snow). For bad weather, you want your light down low, and yellow.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
I like the options offered as well but I built a set and they were somewhere around $900. I am stuck between LED headlights an HID but I think I'm sold on HID after seeing your set up and the HID's on my dads Mini Cooper. Thanks for the info

Thats if you get all fancy. I personally like my all black look, and as far as the other lighting accessories, as far as I'm concerned, less crap to break. You can save a boatload of money if you buy his build it yourself kit, but that requires you to bake and re-seal the lights yourself. If that's something you are comfortable with, you can do that route.

Thats if you get all fancy. I personally like my all black look, and as far as the other lighting accessories, as far as I'm concerned, less crap to break. You can save a boatload of money if you buy his build it yourself kit, but that requires you to bake and re-seal the lights yourself. If that's something you are comfortable with, you can do that route.

Yea i think id be more comfortable leaving the light building to the experts and keep the lighting simple. So your headlights are the HID porjector @55W with 6000K bulbs and the monster shroud with the rest just being black? And you would suggest these over an LED headlight like the newer trucklites? Everything needed comes in the already assembled kit too, correct?

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yea i think id be more comfortable leaving the light building to the experts and keep the lighting simple. So your headlights are the HID porjector @55W with 6000K bulbs and the monster shroud with the rest just being black? And you would suggest these over an LED headlight like the newer trucklites? Everything needed comes in the already assembled kit too, correct?

I already had HIDs (and I have a whole bunch of kits laying around from all my other vehicles from over the years) so I just bought the headlights from him without the bulbs, ballasts, etc. Just satin black shrouds and satin black housings.

Im not going to get into too much detail, mostly because I don't want to upset or insult anyone's choice in headlights but aftermaket LED technology is still years away from being OEM grade. Sure, the JWs and the Trucklites are FAR superior to OEM, they are still not as good (by a decent margin in my opinion) as an OEM HID setup. The problem with LEDs is that they are square. That means they need to be shot through a prism (AUDI) or multiple projectors (Cadillac, Acura) to have a correct beam pattern. Having a single LED shoot into a reflector or a single projector does not put out an even spead. Again, I am not knocking the TLs, just stating some facts. They are still a vast improvement over OEM. Here is how complex an OEM LED headlight is...

2014-acura-rlx-headlight-and-parking-light-photo-488607-s-1280x782.jpg

The above is VERY expensive to produce. I bet these headlights are north of $1700 EACH if you damaged one in an accident.

Now HIDs are much more simple, and CURRENTLY, more effective. First, if the bulb blows, you can swap it out for $10. The spead of an HID/Projector setup is also far better and more even. I realize that it's a personal choice, I just figured I'd give you some facts to base your decision on. You will be far happier with any aftermarket solution (LED or HID) compared to the OEM. Hell, a good set of candles would be better than OEM.

I already had HIDs (and I have a whole bunch of kits laying around from all my other vehicles from over the years) so I just bought the headlights from him without the bulbs, ballasts, etc. Just satin black shrouds and satin black housings.

Im not going to get into too much detail, mostly because I don't want to upset or insult anyone's choice in headlights but aftermaket LED technology is still years away from being OEM grade. Sure, the JWs and the Trucklites are FAR superior to OEM, they are still not as good (by a decent margin in my opinion) as an OEM HID setup. The problem with LEDs is that they are square. That means they need to be shot through a prism (AUDI) or multiple projectors (Cadillac, Acura) to have a correct beam pattern. Having a single LED shoot into a reflector or a single projector does not put out an even spead. Again, I am not knocking the TLs, just stating some facts. They are still a vast improvement over OEM. Here is how complex an OEM LED headlight is...

2014-acura-rlx-headlight-and-parking-light-photo-488607-s-1280x782.jpg

The above is VERY expensive to produce. I bet these headlights are north of $1700 EACH if you damaged one in an accident.

Now HIDs are much more simple, and CURRENTLY, more effective. First, if the bulb blows, you can swap it out for $10. The spead of an HID/Projector setup is also far better and more even. I realize that it's a personal choice, I just figured I'd give you some facts to base your decision on. You will be far happier with any aftermarket solution (LED or HID) compared to the OEM. Hell, a good set of candles would be better than OEM.

Thank you very much for the unbiased and honest opinion. I've been trying to figure out which is "better" for a while now but wasnt quite sure. Looks like I will be going with a set of HID's!

Thanks.
Sean

Top Bottom