Lightbar must be covered in Cali.

Voodoo Actual

Not sure how long you have been on the job VooDoo,,, but I'v taken a stolen gun out of a car and sent the parolee in possession of it back to prison based on a expired tag stop. I'v also made numerous felony warrant arrests out of similar "weak PC" stops. How do you think Timothy Mcveigh was caught after he blew up the fed building,,, a traffic stop for no plate. There is no such thing as bad or poor PC. You either have it or you don't. And great arrests can be made out of any traffic stop. Just my 2 cents.

This statement is misleading - perhaps by design. Maybe not.

Things like radios and laptops are in your vehicle which are linked to a large network of knowledge (known images for example). Your radio traffic should be taken care of before you initiate your stop and in the case of guy does t have his off road lights covered, you have plenty of time. If guy comes back fine you consider all of your circumstances you can reasonably assume guy without light covers isn't Timothy McVeigh. You saw his light covers weren't on so you, in all probability, saw the driver. In a place like CA, a Wrangler without doors and a top or at least the windows down isn't uncommon.

You could argue that everything is an unknown. And that's true. Everything is an unknown until it's not. You should also consider the totally of the situation that you are in and what you are about to do.

I've personally been stopped by Troopers for having my off road lights on when I was passing through a small town. One of the vehicles I hit with light was that Trooper. I didn't realize I still had my lights on. He told me why he was making he stop - I apologized and shut them down. That was that.

I'd hope other officers would treat people who they would expect to be treated or how they would expect their wife and kids to be treated.

Giving tickets for lights covers because you can does not make the people of CA safer.

big dr

My statement above is simple english and not misleading in any way.

All I'm saying is you CAN find good crooks during basic traffic stops. And all the radio and computer equipment in the world is not going to tell you who the driver is until you make contact. DUI, possession of drugs, possession of burglary tools,,,all need to be observed first hand, and you might miss it if you don't make the stop for tags,, which is what you said you wouldn't waste your time with.

I agree with you that the officer who wrote the lighting ticket to the OP could have and maybe should have just given a verbal warning once he realized he was a good guy. There is always the chance the OP had nothing but attitude and contempt and the cop chose to write him based on that. We don't know,, we were not there.

Voodoo Actual

My statement above is simple english and not misleading in any way.

All I'm saying is you CAN find good crooks during basic traffic stops. And all the radio and computer equipment in the world is not going to tell you who the driver is until you make contact. DUI, possession of drugs, possession of burglary tools,,,all need to be observed first hand, and you might miss it if you don't make the stop for tags,, which is what you said you wouldn't waste your time with.

I agree with you that the officer who wrote the lighting ticket to the OP could have and maybe should have just given a verbal warning once he realized he was a good guy. There is always the chance the OP had nothing but attitude and contempt and the cop chose to write him based on that. We don't know,, we were not there.

I agree with what you're saying.

To be clear, I do not ignore expired tags etc.

I do my best to be objective and consider the totality.

I made a stop on a female that had expired tags. She was expired by 9 months and I could see she had been warned several times already. As soon as she said she was on her way to get tags the decision was made to cite her. I'm in that building all the time and I happen to know it's hours of operation to the public so unless she was going to set up camp overnight she was just playing the pretty girl card and repeating an excuse.

I've also seen expired tags, ran the plates and had them come back with current insurance and nothing that you'd raise an eyebrow at. I can see they are young and probably just can't afford tags. This is probably not the person I will stop.

Perhaps I should of been more clear but there it is.

bigtrucker52

Hey everyone, so I just wanted to share that I got my first fix it ticket for not having my light bar covered.

If you don't already know here in Cali we must have our offroad lights covered. Easy fix but I just didn't think I would get one lol.

Wtf? I plan on making it out there to hit up the rubicon and pismo beach from Memphis. Whenever i get there if i even go and if they don't change that stupid law by then and i get pulled over i'm just going to play the dumb guy from everywhere else but cali that doesn't have that law and see if i can get away with it. I've never heard of such an idiotic law

big dr

yes,,, anything opaque. When I was a kid and got the same ticket I used my mothers towels to cover my lights with duct tape wrapped around the back. The cop laughed at me,, but signed the citation off.

Top Bottom