Lights Lights Lights

KPM171

Honestly I would say the Truck-Lites are more low profile than the factory light. Since the light lens (on Truck-Lite) is flat instead of curved, the truck light won't stick out as far as the rounded lens on a factory light. :thumb:

Unless the Jeep I saw a set of TruckLites had them installed improperly, I'd have to completely disagree with you. However, not owning the lights at the moment, I've got no dog in this fight. Find someone in your area who has them installed, check them out in person and then decide for yourself.

MTG

Caught the Bug
Unless the Jeep I saw a set of TruckLites had them installed improperly, I'd have to completely disagree with you. However, not owning the lights at the moment, I've got no dog in this fight. Find someone in your area who has them installed, check them out in person and then decide for yourself.

He might be talking about the gen 1 trucklights. I think they were flat(er). :idontknow:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug

Here is a shot of my factory light vs the Truck Lite. I put the factory light inline with where it would normally sit.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374773169.287962.jpg

WAYALIFE APP 

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374772681.073524.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374772681.073524.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 159
  • ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374772706.900341.jpg
    ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1374772706.900341.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 312
Last edited:

KPM171

Here is a shot of my factory light vs the Truck Lite. I put the factory light inline with where it would normally sit.

View attachment 41337

WAYALIFE APP 

Excellent pix! This is the view that makes it appear to stick out further to my eye. The light fixture doesn't doesn't sit flush w/ the chrome retainer bezel and appears to stick out. See that 1/2" - 3/4" black space behind the lens? If that was recessed behind the OEM chrome bezel, these would be perfect! In reality, I'm sure the flat front is no further than the dome of the stock lights. Again, just my :twocents:

JKAnimal

Caught the Bug
Excellent pix! This is the view that makes it appear to stick out further to my eye. The light fixture doesn't doesn't sit flush w/ the chrome retainer bezel and appears to stick out. See that 1/2" - 3/4" black space behind the lens? If that was recessed behind the OEM chrome bezel, these would be perfect! In reality, I'm sure the flat front is no further than the dome of the stock lights. Again, just my :twocents:

Edit: Pics are always helpful! :thumb:

Okay now we are on the same page. They do "stick out" in that aspect but overall do not stick out as far as a factory light. (haven't washed all the dead bugs off from my latest trip :) )

Honestly it's my opinion that the difference in light output between the Truck-Lites and stock light is so huge that the small black ring is not an issue. They also still look cooler than the stock lights. But hey, that's just my opinion. ;)

:beer:

Last edited:

Devallee

Also if you're still wanting to replace the headlights but don't have the budget for truck lites I'd try a good set of HIDs. I know there's probably different opinions on here but I'm running the hellfire kit from Rebel Offroad and couldn't be happier with the $200 spent. Just throwing another option out there :thumb:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Also if you're still wanting to replace the headlights but don't have the budget for truck lites I'd try a good set of HIDs. I know there's probably different opinions on here but I'm running the hellfire kit from Rebel Offroad and couldn't be happier with the $200 spent. Just throwing another option out there :thumb:

I would not advise the hellfire kit. A member here had them and they shit the bed after a month. Rebel was no help to him and he finally gave up fighting with them.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
I personally like the windshield mounted lights for auxiliary lighting. Im running the KC Apollo lights on Olympic brackets, great lights and not expensive at all. You cant go wrong with the truck lites headlights though. I have a friend with them on his Jeep, the difference is amazing. Ill be running some in a few months as well, great lights.
IMG_0327.jpg

Devallee

I would not advise the hellfire kit. A member here had them and they shit the bed after a month. Rebel was no help to him and he finally gave up fighting with them.

As I said I know there's probably different opinions but I've been running em for about a year no with absolutely no complaints. Had a bad ballast when i first got em and they replaced it on the spot and I haven't had a problem since. Just figured I'd give him another option with my experience with them

SoCalDozer

Hid light plus a stock housing equals terrible light output that isn't useful at all except to blind oncoming traffic.
If you want hid lights you have to spend the money on projectors.
I just made a set from a spare set of factory lights and will install them
And post pics this weekend

Devallee

Hid light plus a stock housing equals terrible light output that isn't useful at all except to blind oncoming traffic.

I'm not saying its the best option, just that with my experience with them, it's a much better output over stock and I'm happy with my money spent. I know there's much better options but I was just throwing my experience and opinion out there. Also the blinding part can easily be fixed by re-aiming the housings. Did it with mine and haven't had an issue

TheRoyalDoyle

Interested in seeing this!

TRAUMAhead

Did you go with HIDProjects DIY kit or did you piece it together?

Went with a $35 Ebay HID kit after seeing Rebel's Hellfire cut off in the stock housing. The Ebay kit isn't as bright but definitely better than stock. Surprised no mention of Daniel Stern/Cibie or Rallylights/Hella E-code for headlights. Once fall rolls around, I'm most likely going with the Rallylights kit.

Hellfire cut off:
rebellow.JPG

SoCalDozer

I used projectors from retrofit source and pieced together a kit. Will be upgrading my ballast soon. The ones I have are some cheap temp ones.

You can see in the hellfire pic all the scattered light above the main cutoff. That's what blinds people, and the short range spread on the light is nearly non existent. With the projectors you can even tell when your fog lights are on because the light spread is so good,

Top Bottom