Limits of a JKU with EVO long arm lift and 35" beadlocks

Spudcannons

Could the misalignment joints reduce bind and the better geometry allow for longer shocks for more flex? I know the lower angle of the long arms helps a lot with holes and ledges where a higher angle would try to force the wheel down Thanks to OmanJeep for the excellent graphic of the axle travel.

shortupper.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Spudcannons

Not to get too off topic but I love your rig Olram30.
I would think having the long arm kit that you have very few limitations. I have the enforcer pro but haven't actually maxed out the flex yet. This picture is right after trimming the fenders and is 35" off the ground.
View attachment 138761
View attachment 138762
View attachment 138763

That's a nice looking rig! Is that disconnected? Will a ramp cycle the suspension as well as a lift?

Also a bit off topic, what welder did you both use for the rock sliders? I am about to weld them on but I am not sure if my miller 140 will penetrate enough for the welds to hold up to large rock hits.

Last edited:

olram30

Not That Kind of Engineer
Could the misalignment joints reduce bind and the better geometry allow for longer shocks for more flex? I know the lower angle of the long arms helps a lot with holes and ledges where a higher angle would try to force the wheel down Thanks to OmanJeep for the excellent graphic of the axle travel.

View attachment 138816

I took your link out, no need to send our members to another forum. So if I were to put long arms on my jeep, would it flex more? These are about the longest shocks a person can put on a standard coil lift.

Attachments

• 1429708781018.jpg
    1429708781018.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 197

piginajeep

The Original Smartass
I took your link out, no need to send our members to another forum. So if I were to put long arms on my jeep, would it flex more? These are about the longest shocks a person can put on a standard coil lift.

It's like measuring from your asshole and saying you have a 12" dick

Grubbicon

Like already stated a long arm does not effect the amount of flex your going to get out of your jeep. It just puts the axles where they should be. And as olram30 said its going to be you shocks and at that point if you try to go to long with a shock your just going to drop a spring out and possibly bottom out when going up. Here is mine with it fully dropped out. It is really to the point of needing a limiting strap just to be safe. I ended up having to run limiting straps in the rear because it will drop a spring out and it will bottom out going all the way up (im stilling kicking myself for my shock length choice). ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429710681.511532.jpg

Spudcannons

Sorry about the link I'm too used too citing sources :cheesy:
So with the shocks that I have they max out at ~12" so any more travel would need coil-over shocks? Is this where a long arm would allow more travel because the wheels stay centered giving more clearance vs short arms which would rub the sheet metal and since there is nothing to fall out they can keep going?

Last edited:

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Sorry about the link I'm too used too citing sources :cheesy:
So with the shocks that I have they max out at ~12" so any more travel would need coil-over shocks? Is this where a long arm would allow more travel because the wheels stay centered giving more clearance vs short arms which would rub the sheet metal and since there is nothing to fall out they can keep going?

A long arm will never allow more travel.

Coloradan

View attachment 138816

Here's another diagram of what you're talking about. I guess eventually the long arm would droop lower than short arms would, but that is well beyond the limits of the shocks, even coilovers. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1429712981.760123.jpg

utiadam

LOSER
That's a nice looking rig! Is that disconnected? Will a ramp cycle the suspension as well as a lift?

Also a bit off topic, what welder did you both use for the rock sliders? I am about to weld them on but I am not sure if my miller 140 will penetrate enough for the welds to hold up to large rock hits.

Thanks! Yeah it was disconnected for this. A ramp will cycle the suspension just as well but I think it is quite a bit more dangerous. With a lift a can slowly control how high up it goes and release when the rear wheel comes up. I really want to max out out but get scared, lol. I'm betting it's right around 36"

A buddy welded my sliders, gussets, and control arm skids for me. I believe he has a Miller 252.

Spudcannons

Used the ramp today. The fenders are coming off they are limiting travel.

Attachments

• 1430013916581.jpg
    1430013916581.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 107
  • 1430013937989.jpg
    1430013937989.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 110
Top Bottom