Live in Travel Trailer

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I would get a motor home and tow the jeep behind it. I like more room. We had a 30 foot bumper pull trailer that had a slide where the table and couch slid out. Stayed in it for two weeks one time and was already foaming at the bit for more room. What about your laundry? Going to take it to a laundry mat? You can get motor homes with washer and driers. Not to mention groceries. You mentioned having to insure the motor home, would you not insure your trailer, what if something happened to it also? Now you could be out of a home and have to replace it all out of pocket.

If I were living in it full time it would have to be big. Others can get by in the vans you talked about.

Just some thoughts I had. Good luck in your decision. 👍

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
If i was kid-less and single i would totally travel the country like that...wheelin the shit outta places

My bosses parents live out of a motor home and tow a two door jk. They are in Moab right now and will meet us in Colorado the end of July. I hate them. Lol.

rob_p

Having just purchased a travel trailer for family vacations we were disappointed with the selection that the JKU could reasonably pull.

In the end we went with one that my wife's suv can pull, which means the JK will stay at home. :-(

I think it would come down to how you want to live, the smaller trailers are nice but cramped, and also pretty limited storage. If I was thinking of full time then a MH that pulled the Jeep would be the preferred route, more expensive yes, but would also mean you are still mobile when the jeep is in the shop for upgrades!

Warebear

Love this!

We are simplifying our lives as much as we can. No need for a big motorhome. I have no recommendations for you, but I think you should start a thread about your experience. :yup:

Here is a story for inspiration.

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...ue-jays-prospect-daniel-norris-lives-own-code

There are several articles about him, I just grabbed the first one from google. If I recall correctly, he received an $8 million signing bonus, lives in a $10,000 van and off ~$800 a month. Awesome!

That is awesome! Ya I agree with pretty much everything yall are saying. For me, I'm single and young, so it's basically just continuing to live and adventure and not be tied down to an apartment. Thanks for all the input.

jeff_in_rc

To the OP, one word of advice, DO NOT just open the black tank valve and use the toilet like at home as they don't work that way in an RV. Ask my neighbor about doing that! Took him months to get rid of the poop pyramid!

You have to let the tank get full before you dump the contents into the sewer connection. You CAN leave the gray tank valve open if you want as you won't have the same problem as the black tank.

Just throwing it out there.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Funny. What I get out of the article is the leftist media doing yet another anti-capitalism and anti-material wealth article. Basically "you don't need all your stuff" as a basis for the government to redistribute it. Nothing against simplifying your life but my stomach turns and doesn't get inspired whatsoever.

Off topic - Where do you buy your tin foil hats?

MTG

Caught the Bug
Funny. What I get out of the article is the leftist media doing yet another anti-capitalism and anti-material wealth article. Basically "you don't need all your stuff" as a basis for the government to redistribute it. Nothing against simplifying your life but my stomach turns and doesn't get inspired whatsoever.

Funny. I really appreciate you taking the time to chime in on the subject, your opinion means so much to so many. :thumb: I encourage you to keep on buying shit you think you need and single-handedly stimulating the economy. As for me I just "redistribute" my money into my various investment accounts.

SmokinV10

Caught the Bug
Off topic - Where do you buy your tin foil hats?

At the place where the Occupy-Wall-Street type who voted for and endorse this anti-captialist hippie utopia don't go.

Funny. I really appreciate you taking the time to chime in on the subject, your opinion means so much to so many. :thumb: I encourage you to keep on buying shit you think you need and single-handedly stimulating the economy. As for me I just "redistribute" my money into my various investment accounts.

True. The lefties won't really care about my opinion, but Im sure there are quite a few who agree with me.

MTG

Caught the Bug
At the place where the Occupy-Wall-Street type who voted for and endorse this anti-captialist hippie utopia don't go.

True. The lefties won't really care about my opinion, but Im sure there are quite a few who agree with me.

It must be sad to see the world through only red and blue lenses. :grayno: Maybe one day you'll realize there is more to life than political drivel and Fox News.

It must be sad to see the world through only red and blue lenses. :grayno: Maybe one day you'll realize there is more to life than political drivel and Fox News.

I agree! I'm not a political person really but damn someone is pardon the irony "sheltered" :thinking:

CharlieK

Love this!

We are simplifying our lives as much as we can. No need for a big motorhome. I have no recommendations for you, but I think you should start a thread about your experience. :yup:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/sto...ue-jays-prospect-daniel-norris-lives-own-code

There are several articles about him, I just grabbed the first one from google. If I recall correctly, he received an $8 million signing bonus, lives in a $10,000 van and off ~$800 a month. Awesome!

Thanks for sharing that. Great story, I think he needs a JK

x10sen

Love this!

A small part of me just became a Blue Jays fan....

davantalus

i am very interested in simplifying my life, and am interested in buying and living in a travel trailer. [...] any advice?

How cheap? Friend of mine built a teardrop once: http://www.asolidfoundation.com
Personally they seem a little small for LIVING in to my taste. Especially in rain or winter. I'd consider a smaller "popup" at least.

No matter what you're living in, make sure it has a heater. When you're shivering at some wintery trailhead, you'll be glad you got it.

RC3

Finally, a subject on which I am an expert (self-proclaimed). I live in a motorhome and tow my JK all over the West, as I am an Inspector for a pipeline company and have to travel from job to job. I have a 35' Class A and have been doing this for 3 years. My wife and daughter travel with me also.

20141116_112816 b.jpg

I agree with much of what others have already said:
You can't tow a very big trailer with a JK.
The "lite" trailers are usually not very well built.
Don't buy new - a year or two old will save a lot of money.
Don't leave the black water tank drain valve open.

My thoughts and opinions:
Buy a 3 season coach - better insulation for year round use.
I have not tried the work camping yet, but hope to some day.
99% of RV parks have laundry facilities.
Limited space to store my hardtop
It's difficult to work on the Jeep in most RV parks so I end up getting work done in shops - I'd rather do it myself, but...
You do run in to some interesting characters in trailer parks, but as Catahoula said "if you don't like your neighbors, it's easy to move!"

This lifestyle has afforded us the opportunity to see much of the Southwest and get out to some awesome 4 wheeling locations and events. So far this year we have been on the WAL 2015 Kickoff Run in the Mojave Desert, Tierra Del Sol Desert Safari, Easter Jeep Safari, Sedona, AZ and spent yesterday on the Rubicon.
WOL Run 01.03.15 e.jpg

IMG_20150321_124759501.jpg

20150331_174659 j.jpg

20150525_110317 j.jpg

I highly recommend trying this if you have the itch. You can always go back to a conventional home.

Top Bottom