Lockers and Mud

Clowe

Lol if you think lockers are overrated then your stupid. I love my lockers and use them even more so now than when I first got them. I use to have the mentality of "let's see if I can climb this without them then use them if I can't". Now I just say F it and use them a vast majority of the time.

I'm with Cozdude. I have used mine more and more. Mentality now is sure I can try it without, but why risk it. You can easily slide off your line and get in a bad situation. Not worth it in my opinion.

Sent from my VS990 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
At one point my jeep had posi track diffs in the front and rear. Yea that's before lockers and before the Wrangler and before some of you were even born. I found that they get you into just as much trouble as they get you out of and are very frustrating in some situations. If you look close at rollovers on the trail you will see that the majority were caused by lockers or lack of understanding them. I am telling you jeepers that your money is better spent on gas, tires and experience than lockers, you will be better off-road drivers. It is not necessary to have lockers to have fun on the trail or to get to the top of the trail. The jeep is also less likely to brake axels and drive train. Lockers are the craze today, but hey, if spending that kind of money makes up happy then why not. There is one thing I miss about them thought, my jeep doesn't spin donuts very well anymore

BACK IN THE DAY.jpg

Seriously, this is just a silly blanket statement. :blahblah:

J

JKDream

The question shouldn't be when to use lockers, but rather when not too.
Four wheels of traction is always better. Except for... And this is where you decide NOT to use lockers.
1. Save fuel. If you're on highway, dirt roads and easy trails you may not need lockers. Not using then will save on fuel.

2. Save tread. You'll wear your tires a bit sooner.

3. Turning. Lockers tend to push you in a straight line. Turning sharply can become an issue.

4. Breaking your shit. Really if you are afraid of breaking your stuff because you lock your diff then you need better stuff.

Waiting until you're already stuck to engage lockers is like waiting until you're stuck to engage 4wd... too late. If you think you might need it lock it in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

10/10 post, didn't know I shouldn't be using my lockers on the highway. Don't they give me more horsepower? :crazyeyes:

FallonJeeper

I would never use "back in the day" or "before you were born" to begin a statement on a thread.
1. While I may be older than most of you, I'm not older than all of you.
2. I've been wheeling, mud and off-road racing since the 70s. But technology is better today than back then. So comparing what we did back then is often ridiculous.

With that said, even with all my experience, I spent good money for a selectable locker in my Dana44 front diff.

Call me crazy.

🙃

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
:cheesy:

I never use my lockers. Or my rear sway bar. In fact, I don't use the clutch or brakes anymore either! :thumb: I'm such a badass. You really need to try it

I would never use "back in the day" or "before you were born" to begin a statement on a thread.
1. While I may be older than most of you, I'm not older than all of you.
2. I've been wheeling, mud and off-road racing since the 70s. But technology is better today than back then. So comparing what we did back then is often ridiculous.

With that said, even with all my experience, I spent good money for a selectable locker in my Dana44 front diff.

Call me crazy.

��

Just for you! :yup: :cheesy:

83fedf6f-7dd6-4aa9-87ec-eb7188dd35c9.png

jorgelrod

Hooked
10/10 post, didn't know I shouldn't be using my lockers on the highway. Don't they give me more horsepower? :crazyeyes:

No, but they will turn your JK into a Mustang, cause you'll probably end up seeing Carol Shelby sooner than most...

Gadget

Caught the Bug
I don't know about you guys but I for one am grateful for the new knowledge I've just acquired. Hell, I'm starting to question what the point is of having a winch, low range or even 4WD. Clearly, they have to be overrated in every situation as well.

You forgot gas mileage, soooo overrated.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom