Lockers - What did you go with and why?

safecracker909

We had stock Rubi D44 axles (electric locks and 4.10 gears) in our JK until we went to Moab and threw on some 37" Nittos. We ended up trashing a shaft and tearing up the bearings. So we repaired the axle with stock components and ended up ordering a RockJock 60 with 5.38 gearing and ARB locker. Re-geared the front to match but still running the stock electric locker.
I have heard many problems with ARB when routing the hoses. As long as the air hoses are routed in a manor that will not destroy them (melting or pinching), then it is a good set up and problem free. I know some people are using steel braided lines as well. ARB is nice because of the instant on/off compared the the stock lockers that took a few feet to turn off.

Just cant wait to upgrade the front to match.

David1tontj

I just figured running 4.88's as opposed to 5.13s is a smarter move with 35"s since it does keep the weak spot in the shaft.

So, I figure I can build it up and make the d30 sturdy enough to wheel somewhat hard until I can afford to upgrade to a rubi d44 or a PR44.

Sounds like you're gonna be just fine Jeff!

I have two trains of thought on locking that front end...

1- keep it cheap, maybe an ez-locker or something since you might just be swapping it out later.

2- selectable locker (I would go arb) so you can unlock it not only for turning, but to ease the stress on the axle in nasty spots.. With this option, even if you decide to swap in a 44 later, you should be able to sell that arb to someone who is in the same situation you are now..

Hope this helps! And welcome to the wayalife family Jeff!!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Last edited:

redpatchjeff

Sounds like you're gonna be just fine Jeff!

I have two trains of thought on locking that front end...

1- keep it cheap, maybe an ez-locker or something since you would just be swapping it out later.

2- selectable locker (I would go arb) so you can unlock it not only for turning, but to ease the stress on the axle in nasty spots.. With this option, even if you decide to swap in a 44 later, you should be able to sell that arb to someone who is in the same situation you are now..

Hope this helps! And welcome to the wayalife family Jeff!!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Great suggestions. I did love the aussie because it ALWAYS worked on my TJ. The only time it sucked was when I tried to turn :cheesy:

Still waiting for the winning lottery ticket, though. then this wouldn't be an issue.

David1tontj

Great suggestions. I did love the aussie because it ALWAYS worked on my TJ. The only time it sucked was when I tried to turn :cheesy:

Still waiting for the winning lottery ticket, though. then this wouldn't be an issue.

I have an ez locker front and a Detroit rear on my Tj.. I love them both! I don't think it's too hard to turn either.. But that's just me.. Only time I wish they were selectable is for driving on snowy/icy roads

redpatchjeff

I have an ez locker front and a Detroit rear on my Tj.. I love them both! I don't think it's too hard to turn either.. Bu that's just me.. Only time I wish they were selectable is for driving on snowy/icy roads

It's not bad - but I have a tendency to place my front end in a place where it binds. That and I had a 4cyl tj with a weak power steering pump.

David1tontj

It's not bad - but I have a tendency to place my front end in a place where it binds. That and I had a 4cyl tj with a weak power steering pump.

Sounds like you needed a hydraulic assist!! That's actually next on my list.

Last edited:

TAGTJ

Hey David,
When are going to take the power wheels up to Mary's Peak? Need to rest that new ride out don't you think?

TJ KID

I went with Detroit for pure reliability. To many times I've lost lockers from elockers and arbs

Do you use your jeep as a daily driver? I thought Detroit lockers were automatic?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

David1tontj

Hey David,
When are going to take the power wheels up to Mary's Peak? Need to rest that new ride out don't you think?

I went up a couple night ago, but the snow was not very deep at all! We ran a short 1 mile uphill trail that was fairly entertaining with 6" of snow... I'm going up there again on Monday night for another maybe 3 hour run. Probably from 6or7-10.

As far as that power wheel goes... I need to get or make better tires for it... The plastic ones get zero traction... I'm thinking of cutting the tread section off one of my old dirtbike tires and screwing it over the plastic.. Let me know if you want to head up there with us. Just 2 or 3 rigs going

David1tontj

Do you use your jeep as a daily driver? I thought Detroit lockers were automatic?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Detroits are automatic, and they can be aggressive on the street especially if not driven correctly. But- they are one of the most durable, reliable lockers out there!

TAGTJ

Wish I could go on Monday night, are you doing any trips on the weekend? Maybe we could drag Josh along too?

redpatchjeff

Detroits are automatic, and they can be aggressive on the street especially if not driven correctly. But- they are one of the most durable, reliable lockers out there!

That was my problem when I had auto lockers. They always worked, but even when you learned to street drive with h they were not really road friendly!

David1tontj

Wish I could go on Monday night, are you doing any trips on the weekend? Maybe we could drag Josh along too?

I am going to a 4x4 event on jan4-5. It's up here in the Crabtree area. Just east of Albany. Pm me if you're interested. Rock garden, mud bogs, trails, drag strip, etc..

Md_rubi

No it is not but I do drive it to and from trails and sometimes just for the hell of it. My rears are always locked so on cornering it does chirp but fronts are manual which makes it very drivable. I've ran many types f lockers since the 80's ad the Detroit is by far the most reliable locker I've ran.

Top Bottom