Long Arm damage. How to prevent grease jerk damage?

rumblebee3

Caught the Bug
View attachment 284615

I’ve seen these before that are countersunk with an Allen head. Not sure where to buy them though.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
These are set screws... But chances are you would have to get a pipe tap set screw instead of just a normal standard or metric due to the grease zerks being a tapered fit. However there are some grease zerks that are straight thread instead of a taper fit.

You should be able to pick up set screws anywhere at your local hardware store. You could always drill and tap it out for a set screw but I think everyone's idea of flipping it around would be your best bet. 4 bolts and you're good for both sides... Then repeat on the back.

Edit: Forgot to mention chances of finding a pipe tap set screw are probably far and few between. Being a machinist I don't know as if I've ever seen one or heard of one. The only thing that would come close would be a pipe tap plug and you would still have the same issue you're having now... It's sticking out and Breaking it off when going over rocks

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

JoeB-JKURX

I bought flush ones to swap out on the control arms. One normal one is broke and can’t get the broken one out. I’ve had a flush one break as well.

A small Easyout (reverse twist drill-like tool) works nicely for broken brake bleeders and should work just the same for a broken zerk.

2Cross

Caught the Bug
Fab up some zerk skids

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ha! Much harder than flipping them around.

Grainger has a great variety of the set screws. Sounds like a good idea o avoid damage. Just an Allen to remove and put the zerk in..

Going to look in to this. Set screw sounds like an easy option

These are set screws... But chances are you would have to get a pipe tap set screw instead of just a normal standard or metric due to the grease zerks being a tapered fit. However there are some grease zerks that are straight thread instead of a taper fit.

You should be able to pick up set screws anywhere at your local hardware store. You could always drill and tap it out for a set screw but I think everyone's idea of flipping it around would be your best bet. 4 bolts and you're good for both sides... Then repeat on the back.

Edit: Forgot to mention chances of finding a pipe tap set screw are probably far and few between. Being a machinist I don't know as if I've ever seen one or heard of one. The only thing that would come close would be a pipe tap plug and you would still have the same issue you're having now... It's sticking out and Breaking it off when going over rocks

Sent from my XT1585 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thank you. Most likely I will flip them around. I will get back to this thread once I've double checked my options for set screws.

Top Bottom