Long Drives

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
Not sure why folks would shy away from long drives with a JT.

The biggest complaint I had was with seat comfort. Seat jackers make a noticeable improvement. I can sit for 2hrs + without wanting to jump out of the thing (from aches/pain). Would highly recommend (not sure about linking here/forum rules so going to leave that out but easy enough to find).

2nd biggest complaint - pulling grades requires lots of downshifts and at points will have the engine revving at 4krpm to hold 70mph+ depending on the grade. Maybe this is something i need to get used to the last vehicle I had i made long commutes/hauls on was my diesel ram and that sucker would rarely ever need to downshift - so I may have just been spoiled in that case.

The only other complaint I would have is some road noise but i got used to it and nothing the radio + good playlist(s) can't take care of. I am looking into if I want to do headliners or not (I don't think they make that big of a difference) - but it really doesn't bother me that much. I guess years of riding motorcycles has really conditioned me into not really caring so much about that.

The steering requires more attention than a typical vehicle - but its not really bad - I wouldn't say it wanders so much as there is a delay in input - it was more noticeable on my '21 (even when it was new) than my new JT - not sure if they all come with steel steering boxes now.

Anyone else have a long commute in their Jeep ?

Ddays

Hooked
I have an 80 mile round trip commute that I used to make in my JL. IMHO the JK's have much better ergonomics than the JL/JT.
I've driven my JK to both Colorado & Utah several times and love it. Honestly i look forward to it. Screaming your way up the Ike on I-70 in Colorado is an experience, but comfort wise the JK wins for me. You sit in a JK. It feels like you sit on a JL

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
There's a big difference between "long drive" and "long commute".

As far as long drives go, I never trailer my Jeeps ANYWHERE unless it's broken but otherwise, I'll drive and have driven clear across the country and wheeled my way up the New England states and up to the furthest reaches of Maine and then drove it back again. Of course, I have a home in Boulder City that I visit often and that's about a 500 mile drive each way and this is to say nothing about all the exploring I'll do on either end or along the way. For fun stuff, I'd do it all day every day and I would say, in comfort.

As far as long commutes go, the Gladiator is a pig and mine maybe averages about 8 mpg but even if I were okay with just burning money away, I don't like the idea of racking up miles and wear and tear on things like my tires, engine and other wearables, unnecessarily and on something as lame as a commute. But then, that's just me.

Last edited:

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug

As far as long drives go, I never trailer my Jeeps ANYWHERE unless it's broken but otherwise, I'll drive and have driven clear across the country and wheeled my way up the New England states and up to the furthest reaches of Maine and then drove it back again. Of course, I have a home in Boulder City that I visit often and that's about a 500 mile drive each way and this is to say nothing about all the exploring I'll do on either end. For fun stuff, I'd do it all day every day and I would say, in comfort.

As far as long commutes go, the Gladiator is a pig and mine maybe averages about 8 mpg but even if I were okay with just burning money away, I don't like the idea of racking up miles and wear and tear on my tires, engine and other wearables, unnecessarily and on something as lame as a commute. But then, that's just me.
I remember that video series (JL/JT experience I believe) at 8MPG and 40s hell no and I see your point. All/Most of the stock stuff on mine will be replaced in due time so I am not really worried about wear and tear.

TrailHunter

Hooked
I have an 80 mile round trip commute that I used to make in my JL. IMHO the JK's have much better ergonomics than the JL/JT.
I've driven my JK to both Colorado & Utah several times and love it. Honestly i look forward to it. Screaming your way up the Ike on I-70 in Colorado is an experience, but comfort wise the JK wins for me. You sit in a JK. It feels like you sit on a JL
So True... and probably the main reason I don't have much interest in a JL. I test drove a couple and the difference was very obvious to me... Same when I get in my wifes 4 runner. It just doesn't feel right. I don't mind long distance in the JK at all.

jeeeep

Hooked
The seat was the 1st thing I noticed when getting the JL, it's a horrible ergonomic design made to offer the rear passenger more leg room (this from a Jeep rep I spoke to at EJS when the JL was released).

Guess the Jeep engineers decided "fuck them all, everyone will be uncomfortable" (french accent in my head lol).

I added some spacers to raise the front of the driver's seat, didn't expect them to do much but I was surprised at the difference it made in comfort.
They also created some space between my right knee and the dash now that it's not pitched forward and down.

I think about a V8, 10 speed in the JKU every day...

Ddays

Hooked
They also created some space between my right knee and the dash now that it's not pitched forward and down.

The knee clearance is so irritating. Being taller, it feels like you're all up in the dash.

Honestly, I'd be thrilled with the 8 speed from the JL in my JK. That'd be friggin fantastic.

Not sure why folks would shy away from long drives with a JT.

The biggest complaint I had was with seat comfort. Seat jackers make a noticeable improvement. I can sit for 2hrs + without wanting to jump out of the thing (from aches/pain). Would highly recommend (not sure about linking here/forum rules so going to leave that out but easy enough to find).

2nd biggest complaint - pulling grades requires lots of downshifts and at points will have the engine revving at 4krpm to hold 70mph+ depending on the grade. Maybe this is something i need to get used to the last vehicle I had i made long commutes/hauls on was my diesel ram and that sucker would rarely ever need to downshift - so I may have just been spoiled in that case.

The only other complaint I would have is some road noise but i got used to it and nothing the radio + good playlist(s) can't take care of. I am looking into if I want to do headliners or not (I don't think they make that big of a difference) - but it really doesn't bother me that much. I guess years of riding motorcycles has really conditioned me into not really caring so much about that.

The steering requires more attention than a typical vehicle - but its not really bad - I wouldn't say it wanders so much as there is a delay in input - it was more noticeable on my '21 (even when it was new) than my new JT - not sure if they all come with steel steering boxes now.

Anyone else have a long commute in their Jeep ?
We make a 2k round trip every couple of months in my 2-door JL Rubicon, with 2.0L E-torque. At least half the driving is in the mountainous "West", with a highest elevation of 8200 feet.

The 2.0 turbo just does not seem to struggle going up hills, and it usually maintains a consistent RPM between 2 and 2.2k.

This seems different than your experience.

wayoflife

Administrator
Staff member
We make a 2k round trip every couple of months in my 2-door JL Rubicon, with 2.0L E-torque. At least half the driving is in the mountainous "West", with a highest elevation of 8200 feet.

The 2.0 turbo just does not seem to struggle going up hills, and it usually maintains a consistent RPM between 2 and 2.2k.

This seems different than your experience.
He was asking about JT Gladiators. Having owned and driven all kinds of JL's and JT's in different forms, I can tell you there is a noticeable difference between them and even more so with a 2-door and a 2.0L

He was asking about JT Gladiators. Having owned and driven all kinds of JL's and JT's in different forms, I can tell you there is a noticeable difference between them and even more so with a 2-door and a 2.0L
I am sure there is a difference given that it is at least twice as long!

But the 2.0T has quite a lot of torque. Maybe they do not offer it in the gladiator.

jeeeep

Hooked
It's not just the length, it's the weight and the way they've got it programmed to run. It feels way sluggish by comparison.
This is why I've ordered the Tazer, want to give the "Disable Tow" mode a try to see if makes a difference.

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
I was told to try a pedal commander - but all that really does is make your throttle pedal more sensitive - which to be frank they add way too much delay in from the factory anyway - may make it feel snappier 🤷‍♂️ . Would be nice if I could get an actual tune on these things - but i've heard that doesn't really do much either. Every 3.6 i've seen with a power adder has gone kabooom prematurely. The only thing i haven't tried is manually shifting - not sure if that does anything to throttle response (probably not).

Brute

Hooked
Do you think your JT is more comfortable for a long drive than your 392?

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

As far as long drives go, I never trailer my Jeeps ANYWHERE unless it's broken but otherwise, I'll drive and have driven clear across the country and wheeled my way up the New England states and up to the furthest reaches of Maine and then drove it back again. Of course, I have a home in Boulder City that I visit often and that's about a 500 mile drive each way and this is to say nothing about all the exploring I'll do on either end or along the way. For fun stuff, I'd do it all day every day and I would say, in comfort.

As far as long commutes go, the Gladiator is a pig and mine maybe averages about 8 mpg but even if I were okay with just burning money away, I don't like the idea of racking up miles and wear and tear on things like my tires, engine and other wearables, unnecessarily and on something as lame as a commute. But then, that's just me.
This! Screw daily driving a Jeep on a long commute. Not fun. 20-30 miles is one thing but no way I would commute 200+ in one. Top of the line Honda accord or civic and you’ll be comfortable and it’ll pay for itself in no time.

benatc1

Hooked
This! Screw daily driving a Jeep on a long commute. Not fun. 20-30 miles is one thing but no way I would commute 200+ in one. Top of the line Honda accord or civic and you’ll be comfortable and it’ll pay for itself in no time.
I did this, granted only for about 5-6 months but it def wasn’t great, and thankfully only back and forth once a week, but it was long time to be crammed in there. Certainly different vibe when your on a trip for fun or exploration, but for work I’d never do it again lol.

Dale72

Hooked
The seat was the 1st thing I noticed when getting the JL, it's a horrible ergonomic design made to offer the rear passenger more leg room (this from a Jeep rep I spoke to at EJS when the JL was released).

Guess the Jeep engineers decided "fuck them all, everyone will be uncomfortable" (french accent in my head lol).

I added some spacers to raise the front of the driver's seat, didn't expect them to do much but I was surprised at the difference it made in comfort.

To me when I got my JLUR I had more leg room in the driver's seat than I did with my JKU. On my JT's I'll take my JTR over the JTS I had as far as being more comfortable on long drives.

Top Bottom