Looking at a 99 Sahara

oldroadie

Hello,
Total newbie here in north Alabama asking for advice on known issues to look for. I've given it a fairly close look without the owner, I see evidence of leakage from the filler plug in the rear diff, there's a lot of residue on the tie rod (I'm guess power steering) and the tailgate is buggered from what looks to be a too large spare. Five 31x10.5 tires on alloy aftermarket rims, a 1.5" or maybe 2" body lift, newish Pavement Ends soft top, terrible mossy oak front seat covers. I get to meet the owner on Tuesday for a look under the hood and a test drive. What else would an eagle eyed experienced owner know to look for that specifically a Jeep Sahara I6 issue from 1999?
Thank you,
Ed

BobNH

Look for a cracked exhaust manifold, it seems that had been common. And here in New England rust is a major problem. Not sure for your area, but frame rail rust in the area of the front and rear control arm mounts. Poke at that area hard. Also, the front fenders will rust out in a specific location. I dont know how to describe it but google tj front fender rust and you get the idea. Also the area where the transfer skid meets the frame. Again, these are very common, far too common, rust issues here in New England. YMMV. And tou seem to be already aware of the power steering box issue. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910V using WAYALIFE mobile app

oldroadie

When looking at a seller's Jeep is there a way to discern if it's the steering pump or the box that's leaking? Besides the top down approach? It's hard to know in advance how far the owner will allow me to dive.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

oldroadie

Oops, it turned into a '98 instead with no steering leak. Oh, but that leaky valve cover...

Last edited:
Top Bottom