Lots of Regear Questions

BattleAx09

I’m planning to re-gear my 2013 JK soon and I had some questions. My current setup is 3.21 gears with 33-inch tires and a manual transmission. I would like to re-gear to 4.56 and add an Eaton E-locker in the rear at the same time. Are there any particular brands of gears that I should avoid? I’m currently looking at G2 or Yukon master install kits. From their websites, it looks like G2 carries a much longer warranty on their parts so I'm leaning toward them. Also, does a master install kit include the new front carrier that I need since I have 3.21 gears right now? I’m going to have a shop do the install; I’ve gotten one quote for $900 for labor…is that reasonable? Last, my plan is to connect the E-locker to a switch panel in the cab. I’m currently looking into the Painless Trail Rocker overhead switches. From what I can tell I need to separately purchase a length of wire to get from the rear locker to the front of the Jeep to connect to the relays in the engine compartment. Is there some wiring specifically made for this? How should it be routed? This is a huge and expensive project and I want to make sure everything is done right the first time. Thanks for the help!

I’m planning to re-gear my 2013 JK soon and I had some questions. My current setup is 3.21 gears with 33-inch tires and a manual transmission. I would like to re-gear to 4.56 and add an Eaton E-locker in the rear at the same time. Are there any particular brands of gears that I should avoid? I’m currently looking at G2 or Yukon master install kits. From their websites, it looks like G2 carries a much longer warranty on their parts so I'm leaning toward them. Also, does a master install kit include the new front carrier that I need since I have 3.21 gears right now? I’m going to have a shop do the install; I’ve gotten one quote for $900 for labor…is that reasonable? Last, my plan is to connect the E-locker to a switch panel in the cab. I’m currently looking into the Painless Trail Rocker overhead switches. From what I can tell I need to separately purchase a length of wire to get from the rear locker to the front of the Jeep to connect to the relays in the engine compartment. Is there some wiring specifically made for this? How should it be routed? This is a huge and expensive project and I want to make sure everything is done right the first time. Thanks for the help!

Pretty much all gears are made in the same foundries in Korea, difference is how the final treatment is done by different companies. I personally vouch for Yukon, I payed for their YES lifetime warranty program and was able to take advantage of it when the pinion bearing on my rear diff failed after three years. As to lockers, most air actuated lockers bring some amount of air hose, I would imagine electric lockers should have some sort of harness, but I could be mistaken. I'll let E-locker owners help you on that one.

My Eaton Elocker I installed on the rear end came with a pretty good harness that reached all the way to my Switchpro without splicing. (By the battery) I added heat shield tubing where I crossed the exhaust and up along the frame next to the exhaust pipe. No problems. The harness also had a rocker switch and other fusing I didn’t need with the Switchpro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Actually we are having a sale on Revolution gear axle kits this month. Use code REV10 at checkout to save 10%. That’s the brand we use and trust here and we’ve never had an issuer. I’d also suggest a SwitchPros system over any other. Again, it’s what we sell and use in our shop JKU and never have an issue with it!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I would upgrade the axle shafts to 35 spline and get the Eaton locker to go with it. Do all lockers work with any type of spline shafts? I mean, can you add a locker that is mated to a 27 spline shaft and later upgrade to 35 spline and use the same locker?

Top Bottom