LS Swap or Axles next?

g00se04

I agree axles first and sounds like going with the 60/80 will allow for any motor combo.

Now can we shift the convo to 5.3 vs 6.2 as I've never been a big GM/Chevy guy in the past.

What are the pro/cons between the two other that HP

thardy

Banned
I agree axles first and sounds like going with the 60/80 will allow for any motor combo.

Now can we shift the convo to 5.3 vs 6.2 as I've never been a big GM/Chevy guy in the past.

I'm a firm believer in putting an LS in everything possible. I'd go with the LQ9/LQ4 (6.0) or L92 (6.2) out of a GM truck or SUV.

Edit: I'd also look at finding a low mileage takeout that has motor, harness, ECU, and trans together.

Last edited:

JK_Dave

Caught the Bug

Before you even get to that, I'd look at the companies that make the swap possible. Get feedback on what ancillary parts you'll need (like new rad/fan, etc), what tuning solutions exist and what bugs are known to exist. I bet that alone will help make your choice for you.

jkwebbie

Just for the love of God don't use Bruiser Conversions for a motor swap. But if I was going to do a motor swap, I would send mine to DCD Customs for a HEMI. Wouldn't even consider anyone else

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using WAYALIFE mobile app

g00se04

Just for the love of God don't use Bruiser Conversions for a motor swap. But if I was going to do a motor swap, I would send mine to DCD Customs for a HEMI. Wouldn't even consider anyone else

I tried talking to Bruiser at jeep beach before I knew any better and I would have had to slap that dude with a grand just to get 5 minutes if his time....

jkwebbie

I tried talking to Bruiser at jeep beach before I knew any better and I would have had to slap that dude with a grand just to get 5 minutes if his time....
Yea I talked to them too, not about am engine swap but just trying to shoot the shit with them and they had no part in it. They were crazy stuck up.

Jeepnoub

Seems like you are going for a motor swap for the "cool" factor. And I've never been cool with blowing 21k.

That said and like others have said, if you "need" a motor swap and want 3.6 type power. Then just buy a jeep with a 3.6. And save 15k.

Doing a 5.3 swap is like buying a v6 camaro.... why on earth would you spend that much money and not go the distance. The bigger motors get almost the same gas mileage with a lot more torque stock.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

Lol you would use a company who has been around for a year before anyone else? Is there a reason why or just because you saw them on Instagram?

Last edited:

ttfhell

Lol you would use a company who has been around for a year before anyone else? Is there a reason why or just because you saw them on Instagram?

I've seen some of their jeeps at shows and a video or two on some of the medium trails but seeing the lone jeep on their site covered in shit parts tells me all I need to know. #jeepbeach. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1475299476.710209.jpg

thardy

Banned

The reason to go LS over HEMI, for me at least is due to the amount of parts and support for the LS platform. LS parts are generally WAY less cheaper than HEMI parts.

jkwebbie

The reason to go LS over HEMI, for me at least is due to the amount of parts and support for the LS platform. LS parts are generally WAY less cheaper than HEMI parts.
This is true, but I've just never been into Chevy's, so I kinda lean more toward a HEMI lol. And parts are cheap with a LS because they're in everything Chevy made it feels like lol

Ddays

Hooked
Just for the love of God don't use Bruiser Conversions for a motor swap. But if I was going to do a motor swap, I would send mine to DCD Customs for a HEMI. Wouldn't even consider anyone else]

Seriously, how is a company like this still in business? The knucklehead on here that started out here as a fanboy and then "called them out" is back to praising them on IG.
DCD looks like a Starwood offshoot.

I've never been a big GM/Chevy guy in the past. What are the pro/cons between the two other that HP

You need to talk to some companies that do this for a living. They'll tell you exactly why the LS is better than the Hemi. Weight to power ratio is one to the biggest reasons. When you lay out the pros & cons, its really hard to deny the LS is the better swap.

Yup and that's what makes the LS the better swap.

Exactly!

Last edited:
I did a ls6.0 and 6l80 from Motech. I love it couldn't be happier. Motech was great to work with and have had great customer service after I picked it up. Most places won't even talk to you after they get paid. Robbi has spent countless hours with me after and hasn't charged me for a lot of things other shops would have. Love the power of the V8 with 40's

ScoobyCarolanNC

Trying to determine the next step for my jeep.

JKU 2009 3.8 6ps 100k 37"s dana 30/44 with chromo
Oil usage is about 1 1/2 quarts between changes
Clutch is still factory

Do I perform the 5.3 ls swap with manual to automatic conversion (~$21k) first and get 60's 8-10months later?

Swap in Dynatrac 60's (~$12-14k) and push the ls swap off 6-8 months.

Or I have a local company willing to cut me a deal on the spicer 60's ($11k) which could bring the ls swap within 3-6months.

Thoughts,feedback, comments that will make me go crying to mom?

Hey bud. I'm in a 3.8 too. If your in stock axles & 37s you need a regear. Maybe I missed a post where you said that happened, but if not spend $1500 and go up to 4.88s and see how bad you need an LS or even prorocks.

Sent from my duck blind.

Top Bottom