Ls3 tj

Lobo6

Starting on my '97 TJ. It currently has the 4.0/auto/NP231 with slip yoke eliminator. Running a Rock Krawler 5 inch long arm system, Bilstien 5150's. Currie rear axle with 35 splines.
Removing old driveline to install an LS3/6L80/Atlas II (Gen IV, Corvette). Using Speartech for ECM/Harness/shifter/pedal and other small items. Sanderson headers, Magnaflow cats and still not sure what muffler. Will likely install a 1 inch body lift for T/C clearance. Aeromotive fuel pump and AN -6 hose. Mezeiere electric water pump, Novak radiator and fan.
I wanted LS power with reliability and was intrigued by the 6L80's 4:1 first gear for crawling.
If I were to start this swap again and did not have the need for a new LS3, I would go out and buy a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon for it's parts. Rebuild the eng/trans and use the front end accessories.

Speartech needs my Transmission Control Module which happens to reside inside the 6L80 alongside the 6 servos that control gear selection. These trans are unlike any other GM trans, but this procedure is simple. Six bolts hold the valvebody/tcm in place. Eleven more hold the tcm to the valve body. Once the TCM is out, it's cleaned and mailed to John at Speartech. He or whoever is setting up your ECM will get your jeeps vital info such as transmission, axle gear ratio, tire size and whatever else applies to your build.

Test fit of headers. I did not install these permanently yet, as it call's for a specific type of silicone that none of the local parts stores have. These are ceramic coated, not chromed. 001.jpg 003.jpg 004.jpg 005.jpg 007.jpg 008.jpg 009.jpg 010.jpg

Lobo6

Bummed! Hit a speed bump today on my project. The items from Speartech will not arrive early enough to do my swap before EJS. http://wayalife.com/images/smilies/sSc_eek2.gif So it leaves me enough time to rebuild a trailer and make a few mods to the tj. The good news today is that my tires arrived and I am quite pleased on their cost. So now the tasks are to rebuild my winch, relocate my air tank. weld in better rear coil mounts, check suspension joints and the usual check every nut/bolt. The trailer will need wheel bearing repacked, new break-away battery, new planks and paint. So I'll post up what gets done.
-Lobo6 001.jpg

Top Bottom