M416 -b1

jjlong

Congrats on finding an m416! I've been looking and cannot find one at a reasonable price, so I picked up this homemade trailer a couple weeks ago. 20170225_092120.jpg 20170225_111012.jpg 20170226_125759.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Spazbyt

Hooked
I cant wait to see more of this built! There is something so cool about a new modern jeep pulling a old military work horse. Its proof jeeps never lost their military heritage even if it has 4 doors, gps, and heated seats.

Rubicon310

It's been a few months and very little progress. Here's my update. Sorry about the crappy pictures.

1. I finished the tongue extension. I ended up going with the "A" frame design as the hitch receiver tub weighs a lot and I didn't want to put extra unnecessary weigh on the front. This design is much stronger than what was on there before.

IMG_9795.JPG

This is the back end of the tongue, where it attaches to the trailer. I used 3x3 inch tube to make the tongue wider allowing me to gain extra length and more stability for the box I added to the tongue.

IMG_9632.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Rubicon310

Last week I found a trailer with a box in much better condition. I purchased it, swapped the boxes and sold the new frame with my old box.

Here's a picture of the new box.

IMG_9793.jpg

Here's a few picture of the old box.

IMG_9768.jpg IMG_9699.JPG

Rubicon310

Today I added a 1/2 inch thick flat bar across the front to reinforce the frame. This will help when out on the trails as noticed this area seemed to flex fairly easy. I was also concerned about the added weight from the new tongue bending the 60 year old angle iron.

IMG_9786.jpg IMG_9785.jpg

I also fabricated a base for the tongue box out of angle iron. Welded the seems then grinded them down to give a cleaner look. Please keep in mind I'm still learning to weld, I am not a professional.

IMG_9791.jpg IMG_9788.jpg

Rubicon310

This project sat for several months as family emergencies came up but I'm back on it.

Below are pictures of the new rear bumper. Frame is mostly all done. Just a few more details then to work on the body.

View attachment 275656

Here is a picture of the trailer after getting sandblasted. IMG_1160.jpg

Rubicon310

Made some more progress on this trailer the last couple of months. I ended up giving this trailer to my little brother and I purchased an already built trailer. Here are some updates pictures.

This is the internal Skelton for the trailer lid.
IMG_3338.jpg

Lid was skinned and attached to the trailer.
IMG_3097.jpg

A RTT (Tepui) was mounted to the lid.
IMG_3103.jpg

I need to go over the trailer and reweld a few things and grind down some ugly welds. Then work on fabbing up some Fenders and getting some larger tires put on it. This has taken well over a year to get this far as I’ve only worked on it once or twice a month.

hinrichs

Caught the Bug
Looking good, no reason to grind down ugly welds....your not a welder then your a grinder.....keep them as motivation to keep improving your welds :thumb:

Top Bottom