MobyJR has death wobble -__-

bl17z90

I had death wobble and didn't realize that the axle side track bar mount was egged out. 1 month and $500 wasted dollars later (new rear track bar and steering stablizer) I found the problem and welded a washer on to fix it. (I plan to add in a flip kit to replace it eventually)

I had death wobble again about a year later and this time could not find it. But this was different though, rather than yank my steering wheel back and forth it actually shook the entire Jeep. Well I eventually decided to do a once over on the ENTIRE JEEP turning every single bolt on it and when I got to the rear I found that the rear trackbar was very loose on both sides. Took it off and checked for bad mount holes and they were both alright. So I torqued the bar down on both sides and have been alright all summer long. I have gone about 5000 miles now and no issues at all other than the general bumpieness that the wrangler comes with from the factory :yup:

Check the track bars, a bad mount can be missed easiliy if the hole is only slightly egged but any little bit will give you death wobble.

Best of luck my friend!!! :thumb:

LoPo

Caught the Bug
I said it. :cheesy:

:asshat:

I haven't had my SS on since April or May. Drovive several thousand miles like that. Even wheeled it at the mall once. Got a touch of death wobble...found a weld broken on my axle trackbar mount. In hindsight maybe I should have just put my SS back on instead of fixing the weld? :crazyeyes:

Dude, Mike's loop at Summit Mall is no joke. You likely cracked that weld around turn 3.

I've been SSless since Presidents day and wheeled a few curbs myself, no death wobble.

Mike we should start a new club.

Tigrcky

well you know just putting on my :twocents: its rather funny i had tracking bar slop and control arm slop on my XJ with 34s and no death wobble. i dont disagree that your full suspension needs to be dialed in. also i mainly wanted to mention the TSB that jeep released for a new SS location. Thanks for not flaming but using facts! :rock:

Tigrcky

Just to give Eddie some credit i am now not listening to my employer any more in regards to offroading considering he has never owned anything lifted...:mad:

bl17z90

Just to give Eddie some credit i am now not listening to my employer any more in regards to offroading considering he has never owned anything lifted...:mad:

It was amazing how many people said I should remove my lift kit and it would fix the death wobble........I don't even see how that is logically possible.

Tigrcky

It was amazing how many people said I should remove my lift kit and it would fix the death wobble........I don't even see how that is logically possible.

well its like in that link that eddie showed you need to find loose or bad components, in hind sight I bet it was the 35s this jeep had on it that cause the wobble the tire shops here suck when comes to balancing tires. they couldnt even get my normal truck tires balanced... :rolleyes2:

jeeeep

Hooked

removing your lift kit does fix death wobble...just leave it on the jack stands after and you'll never experience DW again! :cheesy:

MTG

Caught the Bug
:asshat:

Dude, Mike's loop at Summit Mall is no joke. You likely cracked that weld around turn 3.

I've been SSless since Presidents day and wheeled a few curbs myself, no death wobble.

Mike we should start a new club.

:cheesy:

Only if I can get a "SSless" sticker made.

I had to go to Summit Mall today, but I wasn't going to try to do Mike's loop alone. :D

Devallee

I had a trashed track bar/bushings/heim joint and drag link. Put on the evo drag link flip kit and the stock track bar and haven't had DW since. Still getting a little bump steer (SS is bad) but nowhere near the wobble I was getting before. I actually like driving my jeep again!

MobyJR

Thank you guys for all the advice!!! I should have plenty of info now to read up on an diagnose and fix this.
You guys are awesome thanks again.

Top Bottom