Mod, please delete my account

MTG

Caught the Bug
My two sons are vegan. They have made this life style change for health reason not ideology reasons. There are huge benefits for it. Many diseases can be cured by making this lifestyle change. I myself have added a lot more green to my plate. I do see and feel the difference. Don't knock it till you have been fully informed.

Chris

I'm fully informed and your sons are fully wrong. Don't cast stones and all that…. :crazyeyes:

JKWrang

I'm fully informed and your sons are fully wrong. Don't cast stones and all that…. :crazyeyes:

I must say, I agree. I went "paleo" for a while... or as paleo as you can get without forfeiting peanut butter, dairy and oatmeal. Lost 20 lbs, felt great but the overall success was NOT the paleo diet i was on but my willingness to stick to a "healthy" diet and not just do whatever.

This is the benefit people see when they switch to veganism or some other fad: they abandon the piss poor habits they had, see positive change and attribute it to veganism or w/e. Correlation does not equal causation

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
My two sons are vegan. They have made this life style change for health reason not ideology reasons. There are huge benefits for it. Many diseases can be cured by making this lifestyle change. I myself have added a lot more green to my plate. I do see and feel the difference. Don't knock it till you have been fully informed.

Chris

Sorry Chris, but with all due respect, this is simply wrong. Humans are meant to eat meat (raw meat actually, hence the presence of canine teeth) and not foliage. As a matter of fact, humans are unable to digest cellulose, which is very hard on our digestive system. The nutrition spinsters decided to call this inability to digest cellulose as "eating roughage." The amino acids required to run the human body can only be found in meat and nowhere else. You can however substitute meat with pills to get said nutrients, but you are not going to get them from greens. Vegans/vegetarians generally look like Auschwitz survivors (both sets of my grandparents were in Nazi camps so I can make concentration camp jokes) and are generally, unhealthy. Ask ANY honest doctors (not hack nutritionists) and 0 out of 10 would recommend a person give up eating meat. Sure they might not advise you to eat bacon, aged ribeyes, and chicken drippings, but none will advise you to stop eating meat. There is no evidence of any credible scientific study that concludes that the "lifestyle" has any health benefits at ALL (other than eating less fat and calories, which is often confused for healthier). You feeling the difference in ENTIRELY psychological. As for being fully informed....I know everything there is to know about food, a whole lot about the human biology specifically digestion and nutrient absorption, and was pre-med many moons ago....just decided to take a different path in life....so when it comes to food, I am FULLY informed.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
I must say, I agree. I went "paleo" for a while... or as paleo as you can get without forfeiting peanut butter, dairy and oatmeal. Lost 20 lbs, felt great but the overall success was NOT the paleo diet i was on but my willingness to stick to a "healthy" diet and not just do whatever.

This is the benefit people see when they switch to veganism or some other fad: they abandon the piss poor habits they had, see positive change and attribute it to veganism or w/e. Correlation does not equal causation

Yup I agree with you and mtg as well! I guess you can say I did the Atkins diet (low carb high protein) and I felt better but real results came from sticking to it and working out more often. I lost 25 lbs in 3 months due to running light lifting and sticking to the diet

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug

Bingo. I have met plenty of people that ate a pizza for breakfast, two cheeseburgers for lunch, and a platter of pulled pork for dinner, that switched to some organic hipster diet du jour, and claimed they feel better....well no sh!t....you ate like a pig and are surprised that you feel better that you stopped? I eat like a normal person, including meat, cheese, fish, seafood, and veggies and feel just fine. Eat like a normal person, be a little active, and you will be just fine. You have a MUCH bigger chance of getting killed in a car accident on your way to Whole Foods than you do eating a tin of bacon baked beans.

NFRs2000NYC

Caught the Bug
Yup I agree with you and mtg as well! I guess you can say I did the Atkins diet (low carb high protein) and I felt better but real results came from sticking to it and working out more often. I lost 25 lbs in 3 months due to running light lifting and sticking to the diet

I did atkins back in the day....went from 245 to 154 in 8 months, and felt great. Then slowly started adjusting my diet to maintain. Over the last decade, Im up to about 200, but more muscle and less fat than I did back then. The only diet that worked for me, since most diets leave you starving, and atkins doesn't.

JKWrang

I did atkins back in the day....went from 245 to 154 in 8 months, and felt great. Then slowly started adjusting my diet to maintain. Over the last decade, Im up to about 200, but more muscle and less fat than I did back then. The only diet that worked for me, since most diets leave you starving, and atkins doesn't.

This is exactly why i did Paleo. I had no problem putting on weight or gaining serious strength in the gym. But i decided to trim the excess weight gain and the ketogenic diet seriously accelerated that process. But it was also my 7 day a week 1 hour long gym commitment and ridiculous training programs, not just the dietary transition. Dollar for dollar you cant beat eggs, chicken and oatmeal for lean healthy nutrition.

Miramontes

Sorry Chris, but with all due respect, this is simply wrong. Humans are meant to eat meat (raw meat actually, hence the presence of canine teeth) and not foliage. As a matter of fact, humans are unable to digest cellulose, which is very hard on our digestive system. The nutrition spinsters decided to call this inability to digest cellulose as "eating roughage." The amino acids required to run the human body can only be found in meat and nowhere else. You can however substitute meat with pills to get said nutrients, but you are not going to get them from greens. Vegans/vegetarians generally look like Auschwitz survivors (both sets of my grandparents were in Nazi camps so I can make concentration camp jokes) and are generally, unhealthy. Ask ANY honest doctors (not hack nutritionists) and 0 out of 10 would recommend a person give up eating meat. Sure they might not advise you to eat bacon, aged ribeyes, and chicken drippings, but none will advise you to stop eating meat. There is no evidence of any credible scientific study that concludes that the "lifestyle" has any health benefits at ALL (other than eating less fat and calories, which is often confused for healthier). You feeling the difference in ENTIRELY psychological. As for being fully informed....I know everything there is to know about food, a whole lot about the human biology specifically digestion and nutrient absorption, and was pre-med many moons ago....just decided to take a different path in life....so when it comes to food, I am FULLY informed.

No disrespect taken. I appreciate you being a gentlemen about it. I am no professional in the study of nutrition. But do try to live a healthy life style to the best of my ability. Years back we purchased Anthony Robbins CD pack. One of the subjects is on nutrition. I don't know if he is vegan or vegetarian but he urges to add more greens and high alkaline to your diet. I have cut back on a hight acid life style and seen the benefits. My doctors says I am a lot healthier in my age group. As for as psychological well that's half the battle in all that you do.

Please understand I am by no means trying to argue anything. I just thought I would share my to cents.

GCM 2

So that everyone is clear, vegan is much more than just eating vegetarian......oh, it goes way beyond that. In fact it is so looney tunes, I will not even bother to go into any more detail than this cut and paste from The American Vegan Society:

What is Vegan?
VEGANS (pronounced VEE-guns) Live on products of the plant kingdom. Veganism is compassion in action. It is a philosophy, diet, and lifestyle.

Veganism is an advanced way of living in accordance with Reverence for Life, recognizing the rights of all living creatures, and extending to them the compassion, kindness, and justice exemplified in the Golden Rule.

Vegans eat solely from the plant kingdom: vegetables, fruits, legumes, grains, nuts and seeds. Vegans express nonviolence towards animals and the Earth.
AVS promotes good health practices and harmonious living.

Vegans exclude flesh, fish, fowl, dairy products (animal milk, butter, cheese, yogurt, etc.), eggs, honey, animal gelatin, and all other foods of animal origin.

Veganism also excludes animal products such as leather, wool, fur, and silk in clothing, upholstery, etc. Vegans usually make efforts to avoid the less-than-obvious animal oils, secretions, etc., in many products such as soaps, cosmetics, toiletries, household goods and other common commodities.

Reasons for Veganism:

An equitable, ethical relationship between human and other living creatures

The physiological human design

An enlightened concept of repairing and maintaining health

Practical solutions to the population explosion

Spiritual development

So imagine taking road trip at the spur of a moment, or traveling internationally with someone who follows this lifestyle. For me, that is the equivalent of putting on a cold, wet sweater to go to work everyday.

Slaytanic

I did the Atkins once too. Holy crap it worked amazing, I dropped like 60 pounds in 9 months. And I was eating steak, bacon & salads with homemade carb free dressing almost every day. The only problem I had with that diet was the lack of energy (i was a sugar & coffee junkie for years too) for the first few weeks, and the complete and utter lack of a satisfying bowel movement. More than a few times I was left sitting on the toilet for 10 minutes, my head nearly exploding and tears running down my face just to have a little nugget plop into the water. Then there was the metamucil incident... That said, i ate possibly the worst you can on Atkins, and still shed the pounds like crazy. Either way, healthiness & weight loss are 2 different things. There's been studies done than prove caloric intake and expenditure alone is responsible for weight loss/gain, no matter what you eat, be it twinkies or pine nuts and dirt. Healthiness comes from a well balanced diet and regular exercise.

There should be more vegans, like a previous poster said, more meat for me!

Armydog

There's room for most of gods creatures on my dinner plate....

I am a founding member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals), a semi-profit non charitable unregistered smaller lesser known charity raising awareness of how good meat tastes.......

pastorwug

I don't know a lot more than just the Bible, so I'm no expert on diet, though I've lost 30 pounds in the last 3 months on an omnivore low glycemic diet - much like the Adkins.
My point:
The Bible says Vegans are weak. - Romans 14:1-2

That's enough for me.

Miramontes

I don't know a lot more than just the Bible, so I'm no expert on diet, though I've lost 30 pounds in the last 3 months on an omnivore low glycemic diet - much like the Adkins.
My point:
The Bible says Vegans are weak. - Romans 14:1-2

That's enough for me.

The word of God is definitely a good guide. Just like this scripture states I try not to judge either way. As long as we strive to treat our body like the temple that it is.

David1tontj

So that everyone is clear, vegan is much more than just eating vegetarian......oh, it goes way beyond that. In fact it is so looney tunes, I will not even bother to go into any more detail than this cut and paste from The American Vegan Society:

Vegans drive me nuts too.

There are many meals I have eaten that I first had to stalk, then shoot (mostly with my bow), then thoroughly bond with as I was elbows deep removing their guts, then wash their blood from my arms in a creek, and drag them back to my truck by myself..
That to me is the most natural feeling form of food, and certainly the most satisfying meal.

And there's not a thing that a vegan could say to me that would make me change my view on that.

Top Bottom