Mounting CB + GMRS radios on CBBAR

jwolfejt

Caught the Bug
I am looking for ideas on getting both radio setups installed. The GMRS i picked up (will probably draw a good deal of power - Midland MXT575) - I am installing the Factory Aux switches myself and was wondering if it would be better to just wire straight to the battery or if I should use one of the higher 30 amp wires provided by the aux switches. In terms of a CB i haven't picked one out yet - but I was also looking at scanners as well. My rationale is - when I am out on the road most of the folks are using CB - however out on the trails most people are using GMRS (and and some remote areas - HAM - which I am not going to get into right now).

Do the smart alternators we have get in the way of keeping the battery charged - Anything that can be done via a Tazer to let that alternator do its job and not prioritize fuel economy? Would now be a good time to look into dual battery setups ?

I was also wanting to mount the antennas towards the backend side of the bed as per

I did order some higher gain Antennas and installing them (CB and GMRS antenna) on opposite on opposite ends of each other, however I am thinking that having it installed up front i.e. using a cowl mount or a bumper mount would probably net better signal strength.

I really doubt a hard mounted CB or GMRS unit would draw “a good deal of power.”

Have had mine wired straight to the battery for a couple years now, no issues.

Edit: Just get a Baofeng BF-F8HP for $80 and call it a day, GMRS & HAM and doesn’t wire up to the Jeep at all.

Last edited:

jeeeep

Hooked
I am looking for ideas on getting both radio setups installed. The GMRS i picked up (will probably draw a good deal of power - Midland MXT575) - I am installing the Factory Aux switches myself and was wondering if it would be better to just wire straight to the battery or if I should use one of the higher 30 amp wires provided by the aux switches. In terms of a CB i haven't picked one out yet - but I was also looking at scanners as well. My rationale is - when I am out on the road most of the folks are using CB - however out on the trails most people are using GMRS (and and some remote areas - HAM - which I am not going to get into right now).

Do the smart alternators we have get in the way of keeping the battery charged - Anything that can be done via a Tazer to let that alternator do its job and not prioritize fuel economy? Would now be a good time to look into dual battery setups ?

I was also wanting to mount the antennas towards the backend side of the bed as per

I did order some higher gain Antennas and installing them (CB and GMRS antenna) on opposite on opposite ends of each other, however I am thinking that having it installed up front i.e. using a cowl mount or a bumper mount would probably net better signal strength.
wired direct, just remember to turn it off.
Turning it off is something I as bad about; I used the Quadratec 12v power adapter in my JKU to wire it to a switched power supply and not use up a switch panel switch.

Lately I've been using handheld, and they seem to be working out well enough.

You got a higher gain antenna for a 50w GMRS? The transmission power would be technically illegal and possibly not good for your health.

GP NOIR

Hooked
It is 50w with the provided antenna.
Source?

The transmission power is increased by a higher gain antenna.
A better antenna does not increase transmission power. A 50 watt station does not become a 75 watt station, for example. A better antenna simply improves station efficiency.

Midland provides a variety of antennas with different “db gains” for the 575 and other models. You could even make your own, if you wanted. Make a full wave antenna and tune it for best performance. Make a directional beam to focus the signal in a single direction. All of it legal for GMRS.

To the best of my knowledge, the FCC has no regulation limiting GMRS output to 50 watts with “provided antenna”.

Top Bottom