MPG... I know, I know

daveroberts

I'm happy when I'm getting 12MPG! Generally a mix of highway and city and on 40" tires. I'm going to have to go with GCM2 on the wind drag too. Jeeps are not the most aerodynamic vehicle being produced and all the mods we do are not in an effort to help MPG.

The Wandering Jeeper

Caught the Bug
I'm running 37's and 5:13's with an auto. In town my average is 13.9 mpg. If I baby it and not use the skinny peddle a lot I'll get 15 mpg. On the highway, if I set the cruse I can get 20 on flat ground. Now that being said, if I try to drive 85 in the mountains it drops down to 11-13 mpg. I also manually up shift the transmission at 3000 RPM's to increase MPG.

This picture is from a trip 5 months ago from Colorado Springs to Albuquerque. It was the best I have gotten so far.

IMG_0716.jpg

A friend is getting 18 hwy average

Cold air intake
37 falkens
6 speed
4 inch lift
hard top
no aftermarket bumpers yet. or added weight.
He does still have the air dam on the front bumper.

my_jk

I have a 2012 Unlimited Rubicon with a 4.5 inch lift running 37's with running factory 4:10 and I am averaging 11.5 mpg according to the uncelebrated readout.

gtony12

Caught the Bug
If you have your tire size at 35" I would bet that is your issue. I find it hard to believe that the tire size is 2" difference from what it should be. Do the chalk test to make sure your accurate.

I would also do it by hand and see where you are at. I am getting 19-20 mixed and can get 23 if I go 65 mostly highway.

My 2012 likes to cruises at 62 mph, I avg. 18 to 20 on freeway, I get about 270 miles per a tank with about 2 gals left at fill up.
gears= 3:21 :grayno:
Trans= Auto
Tires= 32" on 18's Factory rims
Hard top
no lift

uhporkchop

Just wanted to get some input, since I think my mpg is far below where it should be for a 2013 JKUR automatic with a 3.6 Pentastar. I average about 11.5 mpg, mixed highway and city driving, according to the dash readout. The potential mods affecting this are:
37" Nitto Trail Grapplers
17" Spyderlock beadlocks
EVO 1/4 Pounder w/ stinger
EVO rock skins and rear tire carrier
LoD sliders
4.10 gears
ProCal
EVO Double D long arm kit
JE Reel 1350 front drive shaft

Those are the only mods I can think of that add significant extra weight or would change driving dynamics. I know that's a lot of weight, but I was running 35" GY kevlars on my 2010 with similar mods (minus the bumpers) and getting 13.5 average mpg!

Any ideas...?

I have a friend here in town that told me he would average 11-13 MPG in his 2012 JKUR during his in town driving.
2012 JKUR automatic 4.10
37 Cooper Discovery SST tires
After market alloy wheels 17" (don't remember the specifics)
Tera Flex 3" LA lift
CBI offroad fab bumpers front and rear and sliders
AEV procal

Anyway I am assuming his JK had just about the same amount weight on it as yours, so your MPG doesn't sound abnormal to me with your setup. Weight and driving style (skinny pedal) has a huge effect on MPGs especially with stop and go driving. Your setup all be it probably some of the strongest, well designed, durable equipment for a JK rock crawler build, IHMO, cost a premium and I am not referring only to your initial investment but forever at the gas pump too. Oh yeah dont forget we are driving mini school buses as far as the frontal drag is concerned which really effects the MPGs at highway speeds.

I think you mentioned something about MPG on another of your jeeps with 37" Goodyears that got better MPG. I know pretty much any Goodyear tire wheel combo is going to weigh probably 10 plus pounds less than your current combo. Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it probably one of the heaviest combos around......Again some of the cost for durability.

Prime8

Well thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like my mpg is typical then. Especially for a lot of stop and go city driving.

Top Bottom