Muffler or no muffler....that is the question

jkwebbie

Well guys, after some serious thinking, I believe I'm going to take Devallee advice and go with the Dynomax race bullet since I do love the sound of a V8 and would love the extra clearance

ArmyofMike

Serious question: has anyone ever installed a straight muffler like a Thrush Cherry Bomb? Seems it would tuck nice next to driver frame rail and you could add a downturn thus eliminating all exhaust system from there back. Would that be lamesauce or sound bad? Any experience here?

pedroj14

Like the title says, I'm trying to decide whether or not I should just take my muffler off. I go off roading at least 2 times a month and I've already got a few dents and scrapes in the muffler. I want something that sounds more aggressive because my 2012 2 door is just too quiet for my taste. I don't really want to spend any money on a new muffler if it's just going to get beat up too lol. So what do you guys think? :eek:

I've ran my 2 door (3.6L) without an exhaust for a few months now and will not go back. I may upgrade in the future to an actual exhaust, but for the time being, it sounds great and it is not too loud around town or in the highway.

We say for off-road use only because some states require your exhaust exiting all the way out back of the vehicle.

That Dynomax does look nice. My only concern is that it says on their website "for offroad use only." Is it still legal and smogable? I live in Calif and they have a lot of emissions restrictions here. Would hate to not pass the smog test.

Here is a shot of a Race Bullet in the pre-dump location.
P/N 24246 is a 2.5" stainless version in an overall of 16.5"

RaceBullet_JK_zps9f213e25.jpg

Well guys, after some serious thinking, I believe I'm going to take Devallee advice and go with the Dynomax race bullet since I do love the sound of a V8 and would love the extra clearance

Most of the DynoMax are a straight through design. Thrush is another division for us too. It will tend to be loud, but not as loud as a Race Bullet honestly.

Serious question: has anyone ever installed a straight muffler like a Thrush Cherry Bomb? Seems it would tuck nice next to driver frame rail and you could add a downturn thus eliminating all exhaust system from there back. Would that be lamesauce or sound bad? Any experience here?

Rebate too on systems!! :)
http://www.dynomax.com/promotions/

Last edited:

ArmyofMike

We say for off-road use only because some states require your exhaust exiting all the way out back of the vehicle.

Most of the DynoMax are a straight through design. Thrush is another division for us too. It will tend to be loud, but not as loud as a Race Bullet honestly.

Yes, That is what I want! So you are saying the "Thrush" would be quieter than the race bullet?

Yes. On a scale of 1-10. A Bullet is a 9 or so. I would say a Thrush is a 7-8.
The muffler we use in our rock crawler and Evolution competition system is a 5-6, the Ultra Flo Welded P/N 17263.

Yes, That is what I want! So you are saying the "Thrush" would be quieter than the race bullet?

whispike

Hey Dynomax, are there any CAI's that you would recommend to use with your exhausts?

We have a relationship with K&N so seem to run that on a lot of our vehicles.
That being said, I have had people ask what engine is in my JK because of the combo.
On my personal JK I just run a K&N air filter ( no enclosed box) because that is where my PSC reservoir is located.

Hey Dynomax, are there any CAI's that you would recommend to use with your exhausts?

whispike

We have a relationship with K&N so seem to run that on a lot of our vehicles.
That being said, I have had people ask what engine is in my JK because of the combo.
On my personal JK I just run a K&N air filter ( no enclosed box) because that is where my PSC reservoir is located.

Ok thanks, good to know! Do you find it helps with performance much? Any increase in mpg?

Stegertime

Caught the Bug
Anyone have any experience with the Banks system?

I have the Banks with the exhaust and CAI. I got swayed into getting it at a 4WP show :doh: The exhaust is catback and the muffler is small and tucks under nicely. The CAI is def larger than the stock box, not convinced i got the HP i was promised out of it all. It's not loud unless you pound on it and at freeway you can hear it a little. Constant struggle between keeping it or picking up a used stock filter box and going back. All in all, the exhaust part is great, not really sure on the CAI :twocents:

I had the dynomax and the internals of the muffler came apart twice (the original and the replacement from dynomax both failed around 15k miles) and the tone was a little too rice rocket for my taste. (3.8L) The people at dynomax were great to me though when they replaced the first one, seriously top notch customer service.

I ended up replacing it with a MagnaFlow and have been very satisfied. I have roughly 18k on it.

jkwebbie

So I think I've settled on the Race Bullet from Dynomax. I'll be ordering it this weekend and will do a write up on the install on my build thread if any of you are interested. I'll probably do a video or two of the new muffler vs. the stock and no muffler

Top Bottom