My Dynomax Quiet Crawler Modified Install

NickarendPDX

Pulling this thread deep from the grave again...

I've just ordered most the parts to piece this together. I've got a couple questions that I'm hoping someone can help answer.

I'm going with the DM Quiet Crawler because it appears to have the best sound, from what I can tell from all the Youtube videos I've watched. The Wayalife video is what confirmed my thoughts (Thank you for all the videos!). What I'm wanting out of this exhaust is to get a good deep and throaty growl without it sounding like a Baja stuck in the sand. So many exhausts on the Jeep seem to sound way too raspy, way to "Ricey", or both. I want to hear it rumble a bit at idle, growl a bit when when taking off and perhaps hum just a little when cruising. Just enough to know that it's there.

I've got a Banks CAI on and I love the sound, but sometimes find myself getting on the throttle a bit more than I really need, simply because I want to hear that "gargle". So my hopes is that this exhaust will give me a good amount of low end growl and just enough tone while cruising where I don't have to go hunting for the sound. That make sense?

The Dynomax bullet #24246 is what comes with the kit. If after the install, I was looking to make it just a hair louder, could I go with a smaller resonator or would that only effect the tone?

I was talking to an exhaust shop and they said going with a tip that went from a 2.5" to a 3" drop down would also help give it a deeper and more "echo'd" rumble. Would that be true?

aermotor

Honestly, it's a 3.6 so you're really not going to get much out of it. I find the sound with my setup works well and has some nice tones in different ranges.

No clue re: smaller resonator or a bigger tip, but I don't think they will change it very much.

Ddays

Hooked
I was talking to an exhaust shop and they said going with a tip that went from a 2.5" to a 3" drop down would also help give it a deeper and more "echo'd" rumble. Would that be true?

I used a larger dia drop and I believe it was the same as you wrote.

I made it about 100 yards and turned right back around to my garage. IMO it sounded retarded - like an elephant leaving the longest fart you ever heard. Hey, you may like it, but with the muffler, resonater & cat hooked together, the system sounds perfect.

NickarendPDX

I used a larger dia drop and I believe it was the same as you wrote.

I made it about 100 yards and turned right back around to my garage. IMO it sounded retarded - like an elephant leaving the longest fart you ever heard. Hey, you may like it, but with the muffler, resonater & cat hooked together, the system sounds perfect.
Hahaha! Ok, I appreciate the audio imagery! I'll stay away from doing that then. Obviously when you say perfect, another may say its lacking. But that being said, would you say this system can definitely be heard and known that its got a bit of a growl? I'd assume it has more tone in specific ranges of the RPM's. but taking off from a stop light for example, there is a growl, and then levels out till you put your foot into it?

Honestly, it's a 3.6 so you're really not going to get much out of it. I find the sound with my setup works well and has some nice tones in different ranges.

No clue re: smaller resonator or a bigger tip, but I don't think they will change it very much.
I'm very new to the Jeep/truck world, so forgive my lack of knowledge. It's comments like this that made things difficult for me to get a grasp of tone/volume. I get that a V6 will never sound like a V8. Those that I've seen try to make it sound like such, sound horrible. BUT, to say a V6 isn't going to get much sound out of it, confuses me a little. I know it won't get that muscle car type of deep rumble that a V8 would produce, but I feel that getting a descent rumble (without sounding super raspy) is still possible. Maybe that's where this style of exhaust comes into play?

When picking an exhaust I was trying to avoid the mistake of staying on the more mild side of things, only to be disappointed when starting it because it didn't sound much different than stock. Last week I was really set on the Magnaflow Overland, but couldn't help but think it was just too mild for what I was after. It's so difficult to only go off of Youtube videos because you are relying on how the camera/microphone is picking up the sound. The Wayalife videos gave several situations and angles to get a good idea of what I should expect.

Perfect example is the Banks CAI I ended up getting. Watching Youtube videos, half the owners said they took it off because they thought it was just too loud. I wanted a good throaty gargle, but again not wanting it to be obnoxious. One persons opinion of loud is another persons idea of quiet. After installing, I drove out of my driveway bracing myself. I was honestly expecting it to be louder, and wish it was. It's loud and sounds great, but I wish it was even louder. None of the Youtube videos gave a true idea of what it really sounds like. I'm hoping that's not the case with the exhaust. Obviously, as mentioned, I've already ordered most of the parts, so I will soon find out for myself.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Hahaha! Ok, I appreciate the audio imagery! I'll stay away from doing that then. Obviously when you say perfect, another may say its lacking. But that being said, would you say this system can definitely be heard and known that its got a bit of a growl? I'd assume it has more tone in specific ranges of the RPM's. but taking off from a stop light for example, there is a growl, and then levels out till you put your foot into it?

It's way trickier trying to get a V6 to sound good vs a V8. At low rpm's the V6's can be made to sound decent with a low growl/rumble, but once rpm's increase into the mid-range & above is when they start sounding crappy. Those extra 2 cylinders really do matter. Seems to me that the best systems that produce the best sound include the resonator and the muffler like the Quiet Crawler do. Again, IMHO, the axle back systems seem to sound the worst to my ears.

I'd suggest throwing the Quietcrawler on with the same size downturn (I just made mine out of a 90 & cut the tip myself) & see how it sounds.

NickarendPDX

It's way trickier trying to get a V6 to sound good vs a V8. At low rpm's the V6's can be made to sound decent with a low growl/rumble, but once rpm's increase into the mid-range & above is when they start sounding crappy. Those extra 2 cylinders really do matter. Seems to me that the best systems that produce the best sound include the resonator and the muffler like the Quiet Crawler do. Again, IMHO, the axle back systems seem to sound the worst to my ears.

I'd suggest throwing the Quietcrawler on with the same size downturn (I just made mine out of a 90 & cut the tip myself) & see how it sounds.
Gotcha, that makes sense and aligns with what I was expecting. Cheers!

Top Bottom