My mouse hunt

Hi all. Wanted to share my recent rodent experience here on the forum. Hoping it will help out others who might experience something similar.

About two months ago I discovered some shredded up napkins in the glove box of my JT. I did not think too much of it, cleaned it up and carried on. Fast forward to a little over two weeks ago. Hopped in the truck to go into town and noticed a slight dead mouse smell. When I got back home I began checking throughout the cabin and found no trace of mice. Popped the hood and noticed some hair and bird feed accumulated on top of the battery cover. Again, cleaned it up and carried on. But the smell didn't stop and only kept getting worse as the weather warmed up.

Next I checked the engine air intake, and low and behold, large mouse nest had been built up inside. Cleaned that out and disinfected it, crossing my fingers that all would be okay now. Nope. The smell of death persisted.

I had a feeing the other place it could be would be in the HAVC system or dash. Being that I am not super savvy with disassembling any of that, I took it to the dealership in hopes that they would solve the problem once and for all. I had them check the HAVC system and vents. Of course, they found nothing but some mouse hair. They disinfected the HVAC system, for an additional charge of course.

I drove the truck home, and sure enough I could still smell dead mouse. At this point I thought I might be going crazy but after having members of my family go out and smell the Jeep, they too confirmed that something was definitely dead inside it somewhere. It seemed to smell the strongest behind the infotainment system. I wasn't super confident in taking it apart myself so again I called the dealership service department where they quoted my an 8 to 9 hour job at $150 per hour. Being that I was already $200 deep in this, I really wasn't into giving the dealership anymore money to try again. And it was then that I gained the confidence to do the job myself.

After a little studying at YouTube university I found a video by that would get me home. After taking out the infotainment screen I found the nest that was the culprit of the smell. More napkins all stuffed up between the infotainment screen and the right driver side air vent. Pulled the nest out with 3 deceased mice inside. I let the compartment air out for awhile before putting it all back together. I am pretty certain that this will finally take care of the smell.

Wish I had done this sooner, but happy that I finally found the main source of the stink. Hopefully the problem is resolved now. My garage is now littered with mouse traps, I've caught 4 mice so far. I have put some scent packs throughout the Jeep that are supposed to help repel mice. Fingers crossed, no more unwanted mice taking up residents in the JT.

black pearl

Hooked
Hi all. Wanted to share my recent rodent experience here on the forum. Hoping it will help out others who might experience something similar.

About two months ago I discovered some shredded up napkins in the glove box of my JT. I did not think too much of it, cleaned it up and carried on. Fast forward to a little over two weeks ago. Hopped in the truck to go into town and noticed a slight dead mouse smell. When I got back home I began checking throughout the cabin and found no trace of mice. Popped the hood and noticed some hair and bird feed accumulated on top of the battery cover. Again, cleaned it up and carried on. But the smell didn't stop and only kept getting worse as the weather warmed up.

Next I checked the engine air intake, and low and behold, large mouse nest had been built up inside. Cleaned that out and disinfected it, crossing my fingers that all would be okay now. Nope. The smell of death persisted.

I had a feeing the other place it could be would be in the HAVC system or dash. Being that I am not super savvy with disassembling any of that, I took it to the dealership in hopes that they would solve the problem once and for all. I had them check the HAVC system and vents. Of course, they found nothing but some mouse hair. They disinfected the HVAC system, for an additional charge of course.

I drove the truck home, and sure enough I could still smell dead mouse. At this point I thought I might be going crazy but after having members of my family go out and smell the Jeep, they too confirmed that something was definitely dead inside it somewhere. It seemed to smell the strongest behind the infotainment system. I wasn't super confident in taking it apart myself so again I called the dealership service department where they quoted my an 8 to 9 hour job at $150 per hour. Being that I was already $200 deep in this, I really wasn't into giving the dealership anymore money to try again. And it was then that I gained the confidence to do the job myself.

After a little studying at YouTube university I found a video by that would get me home. After taking out the infotainment screen I found the nest that was the culprit of the smell. More napkins all stuffed up between the infotainment screen and the right driver side air vent. Pulled the nest out with 3 deceased mice inside. I let the compartment air out for awhile before putting it all back together. I am pretty certain that this will finally take care of the smell.

Wish I had done this sooner, but happy that I finally found the main source of the stink. Hopefully the problem is resolved now. My garage is now littered with mouse traps, I've caught 4 mice so far. I have put some scent packs throughout the Jeep that are supposed to help repel mice. Fingers crossed, no more unwanted mice taking up residents in the JT.
I went through this with my compass. I ended up pulling all the rear interior panels and the back seat. At least I found them. Fortunately I haven’t had it happen in the wrangler.

Top Bottom