My own JK 'Big Brake' research:

Ddays

Hooked
Furthermore, i even re-torqued after the bedding procedure.

If you didn't set your torque wrench BELOW what these bolts were originally torqued to, you most likely broke the loctite free, hence why your calipers fell off.

PabloK

If you didn't set your torque wrench BELOW what these bolts were originally torqued to, you most likely broke the loctite free, hence why your calipers fell off.

I was set to 70, 5 less to avoid breaking the bond. And she clicked on all 8 bolts without budging.

thardy

Banned
2015 Willy with about 15,000 miles. Mostly highway.

The supervisor at Wilwood told me "red loctite doesn't fail"

I can't find any information from willwood saying these particular bolts need to be removed, degreased, have loctite reapplied on any sort of annual biased.

To my understanding, when the truck goes in for a brake fluid change or some sort of brake job I would have this service performed... but at 15,000 miles of light use?

Am I really in the wrong here guys? If so, fine. I've just never had something like this happen and I've had many aftermarket brake kits. I'm mostly upset how Wilwood told me that basically I'm on my road. I thought there would be a higher level of customer service and interest in the failure.. I just don't think they care and are more worried about selling as many brakes as possible. I also just found out they have zero warrant on any of their products. Not sure if that is the norm for brake companies?

Look at it this way, you said these are not JK specific, correct? So that means the mounting hardware is not there's, which is why they are tell you that you're on your own. I realize that the situation sucks man, but I can't think of any situation where Wilwood would be at fault here.

Side note: Based on the picture you posted showing the Loctite, it personally doesn't look like much was used.

PabloK

And you're kidding yourself if you think spacers or even wheels that are backspaced more than factory aren't going to have an affect on wear and tear of the vehicle.

Marginal wear for sure, however there is definitely not any additional stress or wear to the caliper that is directly bolted the ear. Let's stick to the issue... we could go back and fourth on this all day. I'm looking for help here man.

Why even be on the forums then? Is this not a place to share and learn? I've just been attacked from my first post... sorry don't know everything!

Your first post was a rant about how this awesome overpriced brake kit that you never looked at (preventive maintenance) after having it installed by Bubba & Son fell off your rig (15,000 miles later after never inspecting it after install) and how shitty you thought their product was and how you were here to save us from making the same mistake you did.

How is that sharing? What knowledge did you hope to pass on to us with this useless drivel?

You've successfully passed to me that you are a moron wrapped in an asshat.

Ddays

Hooked
I dunno. If these calipers and rotors generate as much stopping power as claimed then they very well could be causing more stresses on the mounting hardware and could have caused the bolts to break loose. I agree with thardy - there was some loctite on that bolt but not much. I tend to err to using too damn much of the stuff & bitch like hell when i have to take the bolt off. But I haven't ever had a red-loctited bolt come loose.

PabloK

Look at it this way, you said these are not JK specific, correct? So that means the mounting hardware is not there's, which is why they are tell you that you're on your own. I realize that the situation sucks man, but I can't think of any situation where Wilwood would be at fault here.

Side note: Based on the picture you posted showing the Loctite, it personally doesn't look like much was used.

I would agree, who knows how much loctite was on the inside thread, I didn't look.

Then let me shitty experience help you guys out.. steer clear of Wilwood.

-2 wheels ruined
-2 calipers ruined
-Don't really feel safe driving around with my son anymore

I know a lot of you guys are into big suspensions and tires, it sucks when you spend hard earned money for something and then you get kicked in the nuts. I waited for months for this kit, i loved the idea having some ultimate setup. Ultimately it blew up in my face. At least nobody was hurt, just want to share what happened to me. It's a BBK thread.

In my town we all wave at each other and share opinions on mods... no jeep is alike... we all have different taste and aspirations on how to spend our hard earned cash. Obviously for me to drop that coin I had high expectations and I have a lot of respect for stopping ability, it's something I'm into.

To each their own.

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Your first post was a rant about how this awesome overpriced brake kit that you never looked at (preventive maintenance) after having it installed by Bubba & Son fell off your rig (15,000 miles later after never inspecting it after install) and how shitty you thought their product was and how you were here to save us from making the same mistake you did.

How is that sharing? What knowledge did you hope to pass on to us with this useless drivel?

:cheesy: I think you need to be a little less ambiguous with your feelings....

thardy

Banned
I would agree, who knows how much loctite was on the inside thread, I didn't look.

Then let me shitty experience help you guys out.. steer clear of Wilwood.

-2 wheels ruined
-2 calipers ruined
-Don't really feel safe driving around with my son anymore

I know a lot of you guys are into big suspensions and tires, it sucks when you spend hard earned money for something and then you get kicked in the nuts. I waited for months for this kit, i loved the idea having some ultimate setup. Ultimately it blew up in my face. At least nobody was hurt, just want to share what happened to me. It's a BBK thread.

In my town we all wave at each other and share opinions on mods... no jeep is alike... we all have different taste and aspirations on how to spend our hard earned cash. Obviously for me to drop that coin I had high expectations and I have a lot of respect for stopping ability, it's something I'm into.

To each their own.

I loved the Wilwoods I had on my 240sx....

PabloK

I dunno. If these calipers and rotors generate as much stopping power as claimed then they very well could be causing more stresses on the mounting hardware and could have caused the bolts to break loose. I agree with thardy - there was some loctite on that bolt but not much. I tend to err to using too damn much of the stuff & bitch like hell when i have to take the bolt off. But I haven't ever had a red-loctited bolt come loose.

Will excessive heat cause loctite to fail or is it more vibration? Or something else?

My thought is that this is a relatively small BBK package for a heavy jeep, probably generating a lot of heat, particularly when towing. Calipers could be getting super hot and wear down that strength of the locktite?

WJCO

Meme King
Post some pics of the thread bores in those black brackets. I assume that's where the threads fasten into? The new caliper bracket? And I assume it's steel not aluminum?

PabloK

You must have severe little man syndrome. Big tough dude on here. Maybe it's the paper mills in Green Bay affecting your overall mental health? Probably time to turn the compaq off and head in for your night shift at the mill.

Ddays

Hooked
Will excessive heat cause loctite to fail or is it more vibration? Or something else?

My thought is that this is a relatively small BBK package for a heavy jeep, probably generating a lot of heat, particularly when towing. Calipers could be getting super hot and wear down that strength of the locktite?

I dunno. Like I said - I've never had a red loctite failure on anything. Motorcycles, farm tractors & implements, trucks, you name it. I'm not a failure anaylst by any means, but it doesn't look like enough loctite was applied. If those brakes generate enough forces when braking as claimed then maybe the mounting bracket flexed enough that they worked loose.

PabloK

Post some pics of the thread bores in those black brackets. I assume that's where the threads fasten into? The new caliper bracket? And I assume it's steel not aluminum?

Correct. The caliper itself has no threads, just the mounting ear. Silly design, maybe a cost saving move, not sure.

I'll try to get something this weekend for you, I'm also interested to see how much loctite is inside. Not 100% sure how the paste works but if the caliper is getting that hot, the loctite could be dripping into the base of the bore and off of the screw. This why the rear screws had such a small amount (they were also loose by the way but not like the fronts.

Is there a temp range for loctite effectiveness? I would assume it's pretty high.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
The bolt that was in my picture was from the rear kit.

We ripped it out to prove to Wilwood that the mechanic used loctite on the brake kit.

The bolts from the front of the caliper completely fell out while I was driving the jeep thus the grinding of the caliper on the wheel. The front two calipers were hanging by 1 bolt each. Each caliper is held on by 2 oem bolts.

First off you are retarded. Secondly you're retarded and C, you are speaking lies.

I have had a front caliper bracket lose a bolt and absolutely NO damage happened to the caliper, caliper bracket, pads, wheel or top bolt.

Next I have had a rear caliper bracket come completely off at highway speeds and was able to stop and remove the caliper and bracket. The wheel was not ruined, the bracket was not ruined and the caliper was not ruined. I replaced the pads.

Before you come spitting lies and try to extort a company (who for the record I give zero fucks about), get your shit together.

PabloK

I dunno. Like I said - I've never had a red loctite failure on anything. Motorcycles, farm tractors & implements, trucks, you name it. I'm not a failure anaylst by any means, but it doesn't look like enough loctite was applied. If those brakes generate enough forces when braking as claimed then maybe the mounting bracket flexed enough that they worked loose.

Same boat we you, I've never had a failure.

That's why I was very curious as to why Wilwood decided to use the oem bolts and not have something specifically picked out for this kit. I also want to mention i was the very first batch of folks to get these back in sept or October is last year. I pre-ordered them a good 2 months in advance. They told me there were no other reported failures but the kit is still very fresh to the market.

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass

If your caliper bracket is getting hot your shot is fucked up. You are an idiot.

PabloK

First off you are retarded. Secondly you're retarded and C, you are speaking lies.

I have had a front caliper bracket lose a bolt and absolutely NO damage happened to the caliper, caliper bracket, pads, wheel or top bolt.

Next I have had a rear caliper bracket come completely off at highway speeds and was able to stop and remove the caliper and bracket. The wheel was not ruined, the bracket was not ruined and the caliper was not ruined. I replaced the pads.

Before you come spitting lies and try to extort a company (who for the record I give zero fucks about), get your shit together.

Relax,
I shared pictures of my damaged calipers and wheels. Not even sure what you are talking about.

I could care less about your brake failure, we don't even have the same brakes so your argument has absolutely no merit. Move along, you are not helping.

Can the moderator please clean some of this up? Why do we tolerate this? Do you talk to people in public like this?

Yikes

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
Relax,
I shared pictures of my damaged calipers and wheels. Not even sure what you are talking about.

I could care less about your brake failure, we don't even have the same brakes so your argument has absolutely no merit. Move along, you are not helping.

Can the moderator please clean some of this up? Why do we tolerate this? Do you talk to people in public like this?

Yikes

Actually it does have merit. It shows you have no clue what you are talking about and are spitting lies.

No this will not be "cleaned up" but if you would like your own thread I can make you one. And who is the "we" you are referring to?

Yes I talk to people like this in person. If you are an idiot, I will tell you.

Relax,

Yikes

You obviously have no clue who you're talking to. And no clue in general.

Top Bottom