Mysterious puddle of oil under jeep

Cbking

Justin,by looking at the picture it looks like it might be coming from the engine rear main seal.
So would agree with this. My Tj leaks like 1 drop a night. If it is just a small drip just keep checking levels and keep it topped off.

mkjeep

Junkyard Dog
I hate to break the bubble but to replace the rear main seal on an engine the transmission needs to come off or slid back enough to get at it :grayno:

Incorrect. TJ 's have a 2 piece rear main seal, pretty common leak. You don't have to move the tranny on a TJ. My LJ leaks there but not enough to worry about. I won't replace mine unless it gets worse. Seen too many replace theirs and 6mos later it's leaking again.

Last edited:

jkmadness

Incorrect. TJ 's have a 2 piece rear main seal, pretty common leak. You don't have to move the tranny on a TJ. My LJ leaks there but not enough to worry about. I won't replace mine unless it gets worse. Seen too many replace theirs and 6mos later it's leaking again.

Wow, last time I saw a two piece rear main seal was on the Chrysler marine inboard engines from the late 80's

wilkinsglock5

Justin,by looking at the picture it looks like it might be coming from the engine rear main seal.

I agree it definitely looks as though the issue is the rear main seal. Mine is also leaking and I found out by brake cleaning the area and waiting to see if it was leaking from where I thought. this is very helpful as I did not know that it was a 2 part deal as said by mkjeep. I will wait until it is an absolute problem before I replace mine.

Top Bottom