Need a new battery at 18 months old?

Andy5160

Hooked
Have you checked out Northstar?
They're a branch-off of Odyssey, same type of situation as CC & PS.
NSB-AGM48 is what I'm running. Nice specs for the price.

No i did not. I did biff research and it seems Northstar is not that popular here is the US. Thank you dough.

Electric8Willy

If the battery was a Lead Acid Battery and you were off road alot going up and down hills, the Electrolyte most likely leaked from the top going up and down hills and washboard road vibration also caused leakage. And if the electrolyete was low and the plates were most likely exposed to oxygen usually kills a battery cell. Killing a cell will cause excessive charging and also acts like a short to ground killing the generator diodes.

Ddays

Hooked
Thank's Jerry. I did some research here on the forum and Odyssey 34R pc1500t got my attention. So lets see how it serves me.

Have you checked out Northstar?
They're a branch-off of Odyssey, same type of situation as CC & PS.
NSB-AGM48 is what I'm running. Nice specs for the price.

If the battery was a Lead Acid Battery and you were off road alot going up and down hills, the Electrolyte most likely leaked from the top going up and down hills and washboard road vibration also caused leakage. And if the electrolyete was low and the plates were most likely exposed to oxygen usually kills a battery cell. Killing a cell will cause excessive charging and also acts like a short to ground killing the generator diodes.

Hmmmm, makes sense. Mine died a couple days after our trip Rausch Creek. Not a ton of climbing but there was some. The AGM style batteries take care of the situations you described above, no?

jeeeep

Hooked
Northstar makes excellent AGM batteries, I have an odyssey pc1500 because it came with the dual terminals on top

Last edited:

Ddays

Hooked
Thank's Jerry. I did some research here on the forum and Odyssey 34R pc1500t got my attention. So lets see how it serves me.

I just ordered this one from Amazon. Wasn't confident I was getting the correct Deka model with the posts reversed for our layout. Thanks for the tip Andy!

Texas Nick

Caught the Bug
Wow, i guess i got lucky with mine lasting almost 3 years.
And yes, the Odyssey 34R- 1500 fits perfectly. I havent had a chance to use it with my winch, but heard it works flawlessly.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

WJCO

Meme King
I've found most batteries usually last about 3 years. And in extreme cold or heat, they last around 2.

USMMA11NC

Caught the Bug
If you have a user-serviceable battery then please take the time and check the water level and electrolyte level. Bad things can happen if a lead acid battery runs dry.

IMG_1477667174.660861.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ddays

Hooked
View attachment 228833

Here is the Odyssey installed i love it it cranks the motor in a heart beat had it for over 24 hours and no regrets. Jerry i hope you will have the same feeling :)

Thanks for the photo Andy. Looking at your setup if you ever get the Christmas Tree effect with all of your warning lights while you're driving down the road, take that accessory wires off of the nuts that tighten the terminals to the post. Those nuts have a cone shape to the underside and actually force the terminal to tighten as you tighten them. I had a winch wire under that nut & couldn't figure out why all my lights were going off occasionally....

Andy5160

Hooked
Thanks for the photo Andy. Looking at your setup if you ever get the Christmas Tree effect with all of your warning lights while you're driving down the road, take that accessory wires off of the nuts that tighten the terminals to the post. Those nuts have a cone shape to the underside and actually force the terminal to tighten as you tighten them. I had a winch wire under that nut & couldn't figure out why all my lights were going off occasionally....

Got it will do.TY for an advise.

catahoula

Caught the Bug
Well curses me! My battery took a shit on way to COS yesterday and had to jump it. I knew it was either Autozone or O'Reilly's. When we entered COS I went to OReilly's had them check and said bad battery. Would cost around $150. They did not have Duralast. So I called Autozone and asked the warranty on theirs. They said 3 to 5 years. So for giggles I went there had them test it and said same thing. I told them I bought it in NC. They had record of it through phone number. It is an 800 cranking one. The price would have been $128 for battery and $18 for core charge. Records show I bought on 07/14. Still under warranty! They replaced it free of charge and I still have 3 years for the pro rated warranty. The other one had the pop off tops and the new one looks to be sealed. Totally stoked!!! It's a good thing to purchase certain things at stores like those ESPECIALLY when on a trip. They are everywhere and if you run into a situation like mine it really paid for it.

Andy5160

Hooked
Well curses me! My battery took a shit on way to COS yesterday and had to jump it. I knew it was either Autozone or O'Reilly's. When we entered COS I went to OReilly's had them check and said bad battery. Would cost around $150. They did not have Duralast. So I called Autozone and asked the warranty on theirs. They said 3 to 5 years. So for giggles I went there had them test it and said same thing. I told them I bought it in NC. They had record of it through phone number. It is an 800 cranking one. The price would have been $128 for battery and $18 for core charge. Records show I bought on 07/14. Still under warranty! They replaced it free of charge and I still have 3 years for the pro rated warranty. The other one had the pop off tops and the new one looks to be sealed. Totally stoked!!! It's a good thing to purchase certain things at stores like those ESPECIALLY when on a trip. They are everywhere and if you run into a situation like mine it really paid for it.[/QUOT

As you said, good to have warranty on certain things. Which brand you were running?

Top Bottom