Need a new tire carrier, want to keep my 10a bumper

Slavens

Caught the Bug
I've seen this carrier, again, too soon to tell. Hit that on a ledge and your gate is bent, possibly hinges too. Then I look at the tiny piece of metal holding the tire and I'm not sure that's enough beef there to hold up a 35" tire or a 37". Cute carrier though.

Got that carrier- Been running a 37" on it for over a year. 2 Rubicon trips, Desert Runs, Big Bear Trips X10 still solid HOWEVER i have not dropped off a ledge or rock that has landed under the tire and i do try and be careful to make sure that doesn't happen because i am not wanting to find out if it can or cannot deal with that kind of hit. :crazyeyes:

MR.Ty

Token East Coast Guy
Got that carrier- Been running a 37" on it for over a year. 2 Rubicon trips, Desert Runs, Big Bear Trips X10 still solid HOWEVER i have not dropped off a ledge or rock that has landed under the tire and i do try and be careful to make sure that doesn't happen because i am not wanting to find out if it can or cannot deal with that kind of hit. :crazyeyes:

This is a screen shot from a video on IG shows the CC carrier taking what looks like a good hit. I'm guessing that it could take a few hits before it broke.

Edit: To be fair, I'm only biasing this off of the owner not reporting a break in said hit.

1468968248655.jpg

dillard09

Billy, you were the first one I seen running the CC body mount or any CC parts at all. They have some nice stuff. I have since put the CC body mount on my jeep. I have 37s, slabs, and the hi lift on it. I feel that it is pretty stout setup.
There is a install video by CC and in it he talks about the tire mount and the design behind it, with 3 points of contact to distribute the weight of the tire. Also how it it designed to take a hit on the tire and transfer to the carrier.
Tommy from CC runs the carrier with a 40 and slabs.
There is also a video of a guy dropping off a ledge and hanging the whole rear jeep on the rear tire and carrier. I pretty sure I don't wanna try it but looks like it held up.
Time will tell but Billys has held up to quite a bit of wheeling.

tgoss

Just installed a CC carrier myself and I'm very impressed. No tire movement at all and compared to my previous poison spyder set up I gained a ridiculous amount of clearance (went to an evo fascia fwiw) and no more rattles or movement. Have a 37" STT Pro and for the money I couldn't be happier.

COLOJK

I also just installed the CC carrier. I also have the hi lift mounted and it is VERY sturdy. I was going to post that pic of the blue jeep with the whole weight of the jeep on it but it looks like it's already been posted

clos0791

Wheeling is the main use of the Jeep. Some Highway use, but for the most part driving to/from trails. I don't trust the stock at all to hold the 37s

Yep, 37s are way to heavy for the stock plastic carrier. I have a 33 on the stock carrier and it still makes me a bit nervous.

8POUND

I went with the AEV. It looks good and is functional. It has a plate for mounting lights and a good base for the antenna, on my signal booster. I also added a EVO vent delete plate for more structural rigidity and to clean up the rear, after removing the stock carrier.

Attachments

• 1469043408193.jpg
    1469043408193.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 144
  • 1469043422357.jpg
    1469043422357.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 136

Andy5160

Hooked
I went with the AEV. It looks good and is functional. It has a plate for mounting lights and a good base for the antenna, on my signal booster. I also added a EVO vent delete plate for more structural rigidity and to clean up the rear, after removing the stock carrier.[/QUOTE

How is the tire carrier attached to the gate ? Is there any noise or vibration. Can you post picture with an open gate

ty

8POUND

How is the tire carrier attached to the gate ? Is there any noise or vibration. Can you post picture with an open gate

ty

It comes with a bracket that attaches to the gate, so it swings away when you open the tailgate. Here is a picture with the tire off. Also a picture with the gate open.

Attachments

• 1469048231281.jpg
    1469048231281.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 134
  • 1469048240471.jpg
    1469048240471.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 136

Andy5160

Hooked

ty

It comes with a bracket that attaches to the gate, so it swings away when you open the tailgate. Here is a picture with the tire off. Also a picture with the gate open.

Got it!
Thank you it helps

H8ROADS

Caught the Bug
Yep, 37s are way to heavy for the stock plastic carrier. I have a 33 on the stock carrier and it still makes me a bit nervous.

We're talking about a stock 10a/HR/X bumper, not a normal stock bumper. Mine has already taken a few good hits and its held up as well as my Rock Hard carrier did on my last JK

Speedy_RCW

Hooked
I also vote for the AEV carrier. I got over the tire not being centered in about two days. The frame supports the whole weight, it's greasable and retains ease of using the gate.

JoeB-JKURX

Maximus-3

I've only had experience with the stock and the Maximus-3 carriers but would say that the Maximus unit is as stout as anything I've seen on the trails. Its hinges do attach to the same subframe structure as the stock hinges (which are retained) but the tire mounts to a heavy gauge tubular assembly that holds the wheel/tire away from the tailgate and the whole thing opens with the tailgate. As mentioned previously in this thread, you can add modules for mounting rotopax, antennas, shovels, hi-lift, etc. It will hold up to a 40" tire. If the backspacing of your wheel is 4.5 or less, let them know when you order as they will send you a tire mount bracket with the correct range for such a wheel (at least that's what I did a couple years ago when I ordered mine).

As a demonstration of the strength of the carrier, I was rear-ended by a car a couple of months ago. The car hood ornament area hit the sidewall of my tire and the hood was pushed back to the point that the other driver could not see over it to drive. I had a scuff mark on the tire and no damage at all to the carrier or tailgate.

For us 10A/X/HR folks, it is kind of neat to deal with Maximus-3 because they specialize in making tire carriers and winch plates/front bumper accessories for these vehicles. Their winch plate is somewhat less expensive than the Mopar unit and can be used with either the off-center (Warn 9.5 CtI-S) or centered (8-12 K Zeon Platinum) winches.

JagJeeper

I posed the same question over a year ago for my 37s. Went AEV. More secure with frame mount. Plus fabricated this flag mount. Very happy with it.

Attachments

• 1469088187524.jpg
    1469088187524.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 118
  • 1469088410998.jpg
    1469088410998.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 116
I have the Maximus-3 tire carrier and absolutely love it. Retains stock mounting location so you do not have to drill new holes, rivet, etc. Its strong as hell too. Plus, being modular, you can really customize it to your liking. I added the hi-lift mount, axe mount (for my flag) and the raised taillight.

Andy5160

Hooked
I have the Maximus-3 tire carrier and absolutely love it. Retains stock mounting location so you do not have to drill new holes, rivet, etc. Its strong as hell too. Plus, being modular, you can really customize it to your liking. I added the hi-lift mount, axe mount (for my flag) and the raised taillight.

Do you experience any vibration or rattling with your carrier?

Top Bottom