Need Purchase Advice: 2009/10 Rubicon or 2012/13 Sport?

DWiggles

Caught the Bug
Crazy talk! Much better at the end of the day to add lockers and maby a diff upgrade if required to a physically newer sport than live with a dinosaur 3.8 and prehistoric interior you can’t do anything about without spending big dollars.

IDK, I kind of prefer the "prehistoric interior" of the early JK over the '11+ :thinking: it has a much more... idk... fitting appearance... I just like it better. :twocents:

Last edited:

sm31

Just my 2 cents when I was shopping for my second JK I was set on the 3.6 and the price difference between the sport and Rubicon was anywhere from 5-10G depending on mileage and equipment most of what I was looking for was about 10G more. I bought a sport bought the dynatrac trail leader package, swapped motec for a rubi transfer case and 1350 drive shafts, all in all I'm in the drive train for about 11G so for not much more money than a Rubicon I have a way beefier drive train same transfer case, stronger lockers, stronger driveshafts, and 4.88s. All for only maybe at most 3G more than a Rubicon.

Very good points! I need to do some more number crunching around this... I was worried about the axles but it looks like a Prorock 44 may only cost about $225 to ship so this option is looking a lot more viable than I thought.

There is still the re-gear and the lockers though. At the price point I'm researching, there may not be enough difference to justify the switch... but it would make for a better vehicle in the end if I do it correctly. Decisions!!

Zstairlessone

If you have a price range set and both will be in there you will end up paying more for the newer one to add the items the Rubicon has. The numbers don’t work like buying either new or the same year range because in those cases the Rubi costs more than the non-Rubi where in your case they are the same.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom