Need recommendations for a new head unit

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
Same here, navi was mostly for the wife but after some thinking thorough it's nice to have when the phone doesn't work. Idata link is also great for pulling up trans temp, intake temp, vacuum etc. I am very pleased with this setup. [emoji108]. I also bought a $20 backup camera form amazon and hooked it right up to the unit. I have one more camera slot available, I was thinking of putting it underneath somewhere on the facing forward to help me with with adjusting for a line. It probably won't last long down there but by for $20 it's worth to mess around it with.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'm also looking at replacing my 2007 head unit and I'm about to pull the trigger on this one.

Did you need an extra cable or module for the iData link?

Does dust get behind the screen?

Any issues with the touch screen's response time or being able to see it during daytime?

Thanks guys!

'07 JKUR ... mod'ing never stops...

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I ended up ordering the Pioneer AVIC-5200NEX last night. I read all 60+ reviews on Crutchfield and decided this unit gave the most for the price and I really want a forward looking camera in addition to the back up camera I installed about a year ago. I let you guys know how I like it once I get the opportunity to install it.

bigmikesndtech

I have an Insane Jeep Audio unit, wanted something that I could use the Navi anywhere in the world. I also very much like the idea of the android radio, plenty of options for apps and customization. From the start the steering wheel controls worked but their function is not something that you can customize, so you are stuck with whatever the system is programmed to do on certain button presses, which was slightly annoying but I learned to live with it. The Navi app iGo worked decently well, and after buying the maps worked well in Europe as well. I also downloaded Google Maps and Here and downloaded offline maps to a USB drive connected to the radio which worked out pretty well. I loaded up the USB drive with a bunch of music and use PowerAmp to play music which works awesomely well. I also connected a backup camera and that has been very useful.

The unit also shipped with android 4.3, which soon became a problem with apps not being supported and not being able to use those apps on the radio. They released an update for the radio not long ago to Android 4.4, so gets a little more comparability back but at the same time the built in Navi app, iGo, broke and to date has not been able to be recovered. The maps I bought aren't showing up in the memory, and re downloading them doesn't help. The microphone for the bluetooth phone connection isn't great either, people are constantly complaining that they can't hear me. The bluetooth audio, like streaming music to the headunit from my phone is terrible. Constant disconnects, and poor audio quality adds up to just terrible overall service. It has never run very quickly and the startup time is frustratingly slow. A friend had the same unit and tried to connect his iPod, which it advertises as being compatible, but it never worked.

For $1000 I wouldn't recommend the head unit, I'm going to swap it for a Joying with a newer version of Android in the near future. When the Insane unit worked right, it was still not as good as other aftermarket head units I have owned.

bahamaguy

I'm an iPhone user who works in ITSec, so an android based unit was never an option.

Went with a Kenwood refurb from Crutchfield with CarPlay. $379 US ($600 by the time I got it here - yay!).

Have my music, GPS, text messages and phone. (My wife is the only person I answer, but trouble if I don't!)

Wife's calls took priority over me getting an actual new front axle assembly so I can have axle shafts, and 4WD, and shit. Go figure.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

MattAlpha

Caught the Bug
I've had the Pioneer AVIC-5200NEX head unit in my '07 JK for about a week now. So far I am very happy with it. The install wasn't exactly difficult but it was very time consuming mainly because I like a clean install. A good part of that time was installing and routing the power & video cables for the forward and rear looking cameras.

Here is what came with the kit I bought off of Crutchfield:
IMG_4770.JPG
I opted for the more expensive/ capable install gear because I wanted the engine diagnostics/display that you get with the datalink Maestro compatibility kit (which you have to configure for your vehicle on their website via an USB cable - you need a computer for this).

Here are all of the wiring harnesses that came with the kit (not all were used because I did not have the factory Uconnect module and wiring harnesses) and my front and rear cameras:
IMG_4775.JPG

Removing the OEM head unit:
IMG_4777.JPG

View of the back of the head unit and wiring harnesses. I did not have Uconnect or it's module:
IMG_4781.JPG

Head unit removed, notice the metal support bracket in the back of the cavity (ignore the wire hanger I'm using at this moment to route my back-up/rear camera video cable):
IMG_4786.JPG

It took me a while to figure out what to do with the metal support that needs to be modified or removed to allow a double DIN head unit to be installed. The Crutchfield directions simply say to remove it. Several forums and YouTube videos say to cut the top cross member out with a an angle grinder or some type of circular saw. I finally decided to "simply" remove the bracket.

This was not simple and was much more time consuming then I expected, taking more than an hour. I thought it would take me about 15 minutes. I used a box cutter to remove the upper trim plastic that also needs to removed to install the head unit and also gain the required clearance (barely) to remove the bracket. I then removed the 8mm bolts the bracket to the firewall / structure of the Jeep. I then removed the 7mm bolts that supported the trim that I had already cut off. I removed the "Christmas tree" wire tie supports that are affixed to the bracket which held the main wiring harness that runs between the center ventilation vents. Now I had a ton of fun maneuvering the bracket to finally get it out of the head unit area without damaging any wiring harnesses or frankly anything else. I had to carefully force it out until it was in this position:
IMG_4798.JPG

Here is why a double-DIN head unit won't fit into this OEM support bracket:
IMG_4799.JPG

Now the rest of the install (of the head unit) went easily. I did have to open up a few of the mounting bracket holes so that the bracket would mount flush without straining the plastic. It took me a few test fits before I got it right. Here is a picture of me test fitting the head unit and brackets:
IMG_4801.JPG

You can see in this posture that the support bracket on the left side is not lined up flush:
IMG_4800.JPG

Here is the completed install:
IMG_4847.JPG

A few pictures of a couple menus:
IMG_4848.JPG

IMG_4851.JPG

IMG_4852.JPG

I don't have a picture of the Apple CarPlay menus because I used my iPhone to take these pictures.

My experience over the last week has been great. The Blue Tooth works very well as does Apple CarPlay and the hands free features. My wife can hear me while I'm driving on the highway through the microphone that came with the head unit. The camera displays are clear. I still have a lot of learning to do with this head unit because the menus and features are configurable.

One final note, I did have to update the firmware for the head unit after installing it. It was pretty easy to install as long as you have a spare empty USB thumb drive (2GB or larger). You do have to download the firmware from Pioneer's website so again you need a computer. The latest firmware came out in February 2017. You have to plug the USB drive into the USB1 port which just happens to be the same USB Input port that your Apple Lightning connector needs to be plugged into for Apple CarPlay. That was annoying because I had to open the dash back up and slide the head unit forward. Not a big deal but frustrating that you can't use either port...I have an USB extender cable installed in the USB input port 2 so that would have made the update easy.

gregolso

I saw this one as well, was very interesting to say the least, and comes with a complete dash kit as well. Though Im worried it will boot up a bit slow, and the backup camera wont turn on fast enough for most uses, as I don't want to wait 15 seconds every time I want to reverse.
But still very tempting vs the 4100 I have now, which is in Android Auto mode, which I don't quite care for as its overly locked down and I like I could run apps on this and with the odbc remote could be interesting if a tuning app is released for android

kawimoto

I run an alpine single din with adapter that gives a shelf for my phone. also did Rockford fosgate p3 10 inch subs with 1000w on them and type s alpine speakers with new Rockford punch tweets, the damn thing will blow ears away, or just sound super crisp and clean. I built it as a system for camping and river days to play for a crowd. works awsome

I run an alpine single din with adapter that gives a shelf for my phone. also did Rockford fosgate p3 10 inch subs with 1000w on them and type s alpine speakers with new Rockford punch tweets, the damn thing will blow ears away, or just sound super crisp and clean. I built it as a system for camping and river days to play for a crowd. works awsome

i like sound of the system you are running...do you have any links to the head unit and shelf?

Thanks for the links and pictures... has anyone installed a single DIN head unit with a HAM radio below the head unit? wonder if that can be done without modifying the opening.

Top Bottom