Need tire advice

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Ok I just wanna clear a few things up.

1. You can run 35's on a d30. Will it bend? Yes. When will it bend? Who the hell knows! I run some of the harder rated trails with NOROAD at Rausch creek. Me on 35's and him on 37's. Our axles will bend eventually but till then we are doing just fine for over a year.

2. You can absolutely stick with stick gears and 35's!! I did for about 6 months before I regeared. Was it bad? Ehhh no but it was doable.

3. Depending on what motor you have will determine what gears to go with when your ready. The lowest I would SAFELY go is 4.88. You can go to 5.13's in the 30 BUT you run the risk carnage due to the smaller r&p. I am doing the later solely based off of wanting 37's at some point, getting a prorock, and not wanting to pay for a regear twice.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
4. As far as beefing up the d30 goes......... Don't. Most I would do is C gussets. Sleeves aren't worth it because you will still bend your axle at the pumpkin. Shafts are nice but not worth it either.

cozdude

Guy with a Red 2-Door
Last thing I want to say to the OP is just get the 35's. Once you get 33's you will hate yourself for not getting 35's. Also I just saw you hve 4.10's as stock. That means you will be fine and not have to regear till later or at all.

metalic

I already sleeved, Gussets, and ball joints a couple years ago.

The JK won't see much wheeling since I have the XJ but might see some mild trails.

I like the look of bigger tires, little lift, and flats but I want to be happy towing a small camper and that is the only thing holding me back on the 35's. I'm thinking 285/75/17 Toyo 34/11.5

I appreciate everyones opinions

jeeeep

Hooked
I ran 315's on stock 4.10's for about a year before re-gearing, I tow a 5x8 trailer usually loaded and I just kept OD locked out when towing

once I geared to 4.88 it was a lot better and mileage improved - I still lock out OD when towing but I have a 2010 JKU auto with it's sad 3.8, the 3.6 seems to do much better and I've seriously considered trading up but at this point an LS is in the plans.

also budget in a tuner so you get your shift points and speedo correct - this make a big difference when you change tire size.

one more thing, you'll need spacers or new wheels if you go towards a 315 or 35 - not sure about a 33

Top Bottom