New Drag Link Loose

jeeeep

Hooked
heard all the same stuff and they were really nice until I started seeing tire wear.

I spent money on a shop I trusted to determine the issue and they determined it was the drag link.

I also sent them video of the horizontal play and got the same blah blah we are tier one, spring loaded it's what they're supposed to do.

they offered to look at it if I shipped it to them on my dime and they would determine if it was bad.

The cost of shipping and replacement if they decided it was bad but wouldn't warranty, I chose not to take that chance - I went with Currie.

Just keep an eye on it and good luck!

Turbo21

Wow. Did you reach out to the company about it? If so did they say anything?

I didn’t reach out to them. I kept thinking it was my fault maybe I didn’t torque it down enough. But the end result was that 110 ft lbs isn’t enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Benito

Caught the Bug
heard all the same stuff and they were really nice until I started seeing tire wear.

I spent money on a shop I trusted to determine the issue and they determined it was the drag link.

I also sent them video of the horizontal play and got the same blah blah we are tier one, spring loaded it's what they're supposed to do.

they offered to look at it if I shipped it to them on my dime and they would determine if it was bad.

The cost of shipping and replacement if they decided it was bad but wouldn't warranty, I chose not to take that chance - I went with Currie.

Just keep an eye on it and good luck!

You had a tire wear issue caused by a draglink? Please explain.

jeeeep

Hooked
You had a tire wear issue caused by a draglink? Please explain.

Had been feeling an odd shimmy and occasional wandering and initially thought it was tire balance. I have to hand it to Discount Tire, they must have rebalanced those tires every week for a couple of months. Because they balanced them so often, they were the ones that pointed out driver side tire was wearing pretty quick and suggested I look into it.

Took it to an alignment shop, the 1st time I had it in they told me the drag link was bad but aligned it anyway and it changed nothing.

Ball joints, tie rod and track bar all checked out fine.

When I contacted SS each time they would tell me the drag link movement was by design spring loaded and the alignment guys must not be familiar with them. They were very convincing that it wasn't the drag link so I kept looking for other issues.

Finally gave up and took it to a local shop and had them check everything. They concluded it was the drag link.

By this time (4months) the driver side outer was worn quite a bit and not smooth like you would see with alignment issues.

Until the shimmy started, all tires were wearing evenly with regular 5 tire rotation.

Replaced the drag link with Currie, shimmy and wander went away. Had to buy new tires but they were getting close anyway.

Benito

Caught the Bug
Had been feeling an odd shimmy and occasional wandering and initially thought it was tire balance. I have to hand it to Discount Tire, they must have rebalanced those tires every week for a couple of months. Because they balanced them so often, they were the ones that pointed out driver side tire was wearing pretty quick and suggested I look into it.

Took it to an alignment shop, the 1st time I had it in they told me the drag link was bad but aligned it anyway and it changed nothing.

Ball joints, tie rod and track bar all checked out fine.

When I contacted SS each time they would tell me the drag link movement was by design spring loaded and the alignment guys must not be familiar with them. They were very convincing that it wasn't the drag link so I kept looking for other issues.

Finally gave up and took it to a local shop and had them check everything. They concluded it was the drag link.

By this time (4months) the driver side outer was worn quite a bit and not smooth like you would see with alignment issues.

Until the shimmy started, all tires were wearing evenly with regular 5 tire rotation.

Replaced the drag link with Currie, shimmy and wander went away. Had to buy new tires but they were getting close anyway.

But the passenger tire wasn’t worn? The draglink attaches to the passenger side and the drivers side is connected to the passenger with the tie rod. I would think you would see the same wear on the passenger side as well. Interesting.

jeeeep

Hooked
But the passenger tire wasn’t worn? The draglink attaches to the passenger side and the drivers side is connected to the passenger with the tie rod. I would think you would see the same wear on the passenger side as well. Interesting.

yeah, it baffled the crap out of me as well which led to my thinking that no way the drag link was causing this.

but as I think back on it, I was correcting to the right and if I braked hard it would push driver

go figure ...

Last edited:
Top Bottom