New JK?

thardy

Banned
The only suspension system that I haven't blown out springs on is rough country and they are 30% cheaper than any of the mentioned companies on here. In addition do the labor yourself and that's an extra 750 to spend on parts

I think this might be the first time I have ever seen someone suggest running Rough Country springs.

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
A 2.5" lift is a lot for 33s. In my opinion 33s would look tiny with that much lift. Here was my old 2 door with 33s and a leveling kit.

View attachment 193745

I am now running 35s on my 4 door with a JKS JSPEC 2" lift.

View attachment 193746

If you plan on doing a 33" tire, you do not need a lift to run them and actually wheel. For a 35" tire, which I personally think looks and performs great on a 2 door, then I would look into a 2.5" lift. I am guessing that your AEV lift kits yielded much more than their advertised lift height. Also, if you are running the correct bumpstops and the correct BS on your wheels, you should not rub with 35s and a 2.5" lift.

I second that. I have a leveling kit & 33's. Looks a lot like that 2 door. A 2.5 lift on a 2 door will give you an extra inch on most lifts, anyway ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1458435123.014237.jpg
Mine on a leveling kit and 285/75 R16

Samlautranger

^ Nice looking Anvil, with the red wrangler decal. I really wish that color was still available. Saw a Rhino on the lot few days ago, though was the replacement for the Anvil, as looks similar on the Jeep web page. But it is a really dark, blackish blue. On the lot were a Granite, Rhino, another Granite and a Black. I just have to ask Jeep, regarding the Rhino, "Why?". Keeping the Anvil, or having a Green/OD variation in the standard line up would have been nice.

Last edited:

notnalc68

That dude from Mississippi
^ Nice looking Anvil, with the red wrangler decal. I really wish that color was still available. Saw a Rhino on the lot few days ago, though was the replacement for the Anvil, as looks similar on the Jeep web page. But it is a really dark, blackish blue. On the lot were a Granite, Rhino, another Granite and a Black. I just have to ask Jeep, regarding the Rhino, "Why?". Keeping the Anvil, or having a Green/OD variation in the standard line up would have been nice.

Thanks. I like, "rhino," which looks close. I like the color, "tank," too.

Samlautranger

Thanks. I like, "rhino," which looks close. I like the color, "tank," too.

Have you seen Rhino in person? Looks nothing close to Anvil at all. Tank is good, like the older Forest Metalic I think it was Jeep had. The old Forest Green Jeeps with the Tan tops, those where sharp looking.

Samlautranger

Talked to a shop that pretty much only does Jeeps, about 2 hour drive away from me, in Ft Wayne, IN. Quoted me good price on parts and labors to do a gear upgrade to 4.56. About $1200. So going to save the $695 up grade to 3.73 option, and instead put it towards the 4.56 gears. And just do that. Sounds like the 4.56 gear is the sweet spot for 35" tires.

Decided on 35" BF Goodrich All Terrain Tires.

JKS 3.5" lift kit. JKS programmer, and JKS Lower control arms.

Still deciding on the wheels. Really like a set from Rugged Ridge, but they are a little high in price. Wanting all Black Wheels.

Think I have decided on the White 2 door. Then having everything blacked out (Wheels, hinges, etc.). Gives a nice contrast for a 2 door. Now just have to continue playing the game with the dealer. Looks like will have to custom order. There was a dealer that had exactly what I was looking for in my area, but sold yesterday morning. Looking for a white 2 Door, with only options being Auto tran. and Air cond.

Probably add a cat back exhaust system, grab handles, and a couple of Tuffy lock boxes. Real tempting to get leather done as well. Custom shop here does it for around $1000. I have had two Chrysler dealers actually tell me, they do a better job than Jeep/Chrysler - they use a bit thicker leather and much cheaper than factory (though not even an option with Sport trim).

Hoping, if have to order the JK , will have in 3-6 weeks (What dealer is telling me current wait times are running). So if all goes well should have it all built by middle of May just in time for the top to be off for several months.

JKbrick

Talked to a shop that pretty much only does Jeeps, about 2 hour drive away from me, in Ft Wayne, IN. Quoted me good price on parts and labors to do a gear upgrade to 4.56. About $1200. So going to save the $695 up grade to 3.73 option, and instead put it towards the 4.56 gears. And just do that. Sounds like the 4.56 gear is the sweet spot for 35" tires.

Decided on 35" BF Goodrich All Terrain Tires.

JKS 3.5" lift kit. JKS programmer, and JKS Lower control arms.

Still deciding on the wheels. Really like a set from Rugged Ridge, but they are a little high in price. Wanting all Black Wheels.

Think I have decided on the White 2 door. Then having everything blacked out (Wheels, hinges, etc.). Gives a nice contrast for a 2 door. Now just have to continue playing the game with the dealer. Looks like will have to custom order. There was a dealer that had exactly what I was looking for in my area, but sold yesterday morning. Looking for a white 2 Door, with only options being Auto tran. and Air cond.

Probably add a cat back exhaust system, grab handles, and a couple of Tuffy lock boxes. Real tempting to get leather done as well. Custom shop here does it for around $1000. I have had two Chrysler dealers actually tell me, they do a better job than Jeep/Chrysler - they use a bit thicker leather and much cheaper than factory (though not even an option with Sport trim).

Hoping, if have to order the JK , will have in 3-6 weeks (What dealer is telling me current wait times are running). So if all goes well should have it all built by middle of May just in time for the top to be off for several months.

Did you talk to Matt Tofflemeyer? You will be very happy with him, he is a great guy, others from here have used him as well as myself.

Samlautranger

Did you talk to Matt Tofflemeyer? You will be very happy with him, he is a great guy, others from here have used him as well as myself.

Yes. :clap2: Contacted him due to reading on various Jeep forums a lot of positive feedback, good to hear from you also.

He seems to know what he is doing, and seems to specialize in Jeeps. Probably just going to have him order all my parts and do the labor. With the new Hoosier Heartland HWY, he is only a 2 hour drive away.

Could not believe how much the Dealerships want to install a lift kit. :shock: Called up a local mechanic our family uses, and to do a re-gear, also sounded like he really did not want the hassle, but the cost was pretty excessive as well.

I would do the work myself, but I would like to make it from point A to point B. :eek:

Amazingly I had a whole regear done in Cambodia last year, on a Toyota Hilux, parts and labor was $200. :bleh:

Mango-Willy

Hey there, my first reply on this forum!!
Anyhow, i was a little shocked to hear that it would cost $1200 just for a regear. It might be that there are more folks doing regears here in the Denver area, but i have been quoted $800-$900 from a few places.

Samlautranger

Hey there, my first reply on this forum!!
Anyhow, i was a little shocked to hear that it would cost $1200 just for a regear. It might be that there are more folks doing regears here in the Denver area, but i have been quoted $800-$900 from a few places.

Labor and parts? Anyway, the price seems fair, considering it is a $700 upgrade option from the factory.

The other thing, I know this from being in Colorado Springs, is that you have a lot more 4x4 shops in Colorado than you do in Indiana. Way more.

Clutch

Caught the Bug
A regear here in st. Louis area is around $2600. Luckily, I already have a 4.10, so I really won't need a regear anytime soon.

Samlautranger

A regear here in st. Louis area is around $2600. Luckily, I already have a 4.10, so I really won't need a regear anytime soon.

That is insane. :eek:

You would be better off to take a road trip to Colorado, and rent a nice hotel to stay in and chill while your work is being done, or go on a nice backpacking trip.

AllAmericanInfidel

Caught the Bug
Very nice looking rigs. Ver nice. Love the 2 door Navy blue. How you liking the Granite color? Holding up well? Appreciate your Build Thread for showing the close ups of the interior of the half doors - best have seen (you would think Jeep would show better pics...sigh). So how have yo lied the half doors? unzipping and zipping up when needed? in the heavy rain held up? Seriously considering that option, since last 2 Jeeps I had, had the full size. Also, just a little minor nuisance, is I found the window knob on the full doors to rub against my knee when rolled up. the half doors of course eliminate the window manual knob. (and cannot stand the power convenience group personally).

Yeah, I know I can run 35s with a 2.5...but just aesthetically I think the 3.5 looks better. :D Recently saw a white JK, at the Jeep Dealership, with 35s and AEV 3.5" and that thing looked sweet. With the older 2.5" AEV kit I had, I thought sometimes the tires just looked to fill up the wheel well a little too much. That is just me.

I love the Granite Crystal color personally. It looks great dirty and it looks spectacular when its all cleaned up IMO. As far as the half doors go, I absolutely love having half doors. They take a bit of getting used to, zipping the windows up and down, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I love rolling around with the half doors off. Probably the single most thing I get comments/compliments on. With that said, the half doors are the reason Chrysler is doing a buy back on my Jeep and I am starting over with a 2016. They started out with no leaks at all, but got to the point where you get soaked with any amount of rain when inside of it now. Front, rear, driver or passenger side, it leaks terribly. I know several people who have factory half doors and have no issues with leaking, but I was unfortunate enough to have lots of problems with mine. I will end up getting more half doors or some sort of enclosed tube door/trail door once I get to Hawaii. I cannot live without them lol!

Samlautranger

I love the Granite Crystal color personally. It looks great dirty and it looks spectacular when its all cleaned up IMO. As far as the half doors go, I absolutely love having half doors. They take a bit of getting used to, zipping the windows up and down, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. I love rolling around with the half doors off. Probably the single most thing I get comments/compliments on. With that said, the half doors are the reason Chrysler is doing a buy back on my Jeep and I am starting over with a 2016. They started out with no leaks at all, but got to the point where you get soaked with any amount of rain when inside of it now. Front, rear, driver or passenger side, it leaks terribly. I know several people who have factory half doors and have no issues with leaking, but I was unfortunate enough to have lots of problems with mine. I will end up getting more half doors or some sort of enclosed tube door/trail door once I get to Hawaii. I cannot live without them lol!

Thanks. This is of course all subjective, but stopped by the Stealership lot today, to look. I have to say I think the 4 door looks better in Granite, and the 2 Door looks better in White. Of course, seen the granite 2 door with lift kit and that looks good. I think maybe the darker colored 2 doors, with no lift kit give a visual of being a little "bunched" if that makes any sense. Where as with the 4 doors, if a lighter color, looks too long. Again, just being a bit OCD and subjective.

Looked at the silver billet. Seen several over the last couple of days looking. Definitely has more metallic flakes in it that my old Bright silver 2012 or my current Toyota Silver. Seems to me, the several times I have seen Billet, it has almost a light blue tint to it? So now it is between the Granite and White. Leaning towards white. Had a white willy's 2 door on the lot, have to admit that looked pretty good.

Top Bottom