New pentastar motor, re-gearing with 35's?

StrizzyChris

X3...I used to have 35's with 4.10s and I didn't have a lot of performance loss, but the mileage went to shit instantly.

The ONLY way I can even remotely believe that this could possibly be close to true is if the 35 you are running is a thin(close to stock width), street/performance tire, and you are running a stock suspension with the air dam in place to maintain stock aerodynamics. :thinking:

Shit...just the stock size MTs that come on a Rubicon will drop your MPGs from what the Sahara tires get!

jesse3638

Hooked
X3...I used to have 35's with 4.10s and I didn't have a lot of performance loss, but the mileage went to shit instantly.

The ONLY way I can even remotely believe that this could possibly be close to true is if the 35 you are running is a thin(close to stock width), street/performance tire, and you are running a stock suspension with the air dam in place to maintain stock aerodynamics. :thinking:

Shit...just the stock size MTs that come on a Rubicon will drop your MPGs from what the Sahara tires get!

Yeah that stock air dam seems to really have a purpose. I took mine off while stock because I didn't like the way it looked and I swear I lost 2 mpg's

sgregg108

I have a 2013 JKU auto with 35's and 3.21 and was filling up with gas every 2 day driving around SF bayarea at 12.5 mpg, I re-geared two weeks ago to 4.88 and I'm averaging 17/18 mpg now. I like how the RPM's are back up in the power band.

Did you use a procal or other programmer? I'm going to go to 315/70/17s soon w/3.21 gears in my 2013. Thinking I'll eventually regear but want to build up some cash after the cost from a lift, wheels and tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buster3479

We have a 12', 3.6L Auto with 315/70/17 (35's). I couldn't stand driving it with the 3.73, it was a dog in town and while getting on the highway. I re-geared to 4.56, and it has all of it's performance back and a little more. You're not going to get the fuel mileage back though, I went from ~21.8 highway with 33's to ~15 highway with 35's same model tire. It's the weight of the tires as well as the increased width. You won't see the fuel mileage come back.

LVJeepney

I'm torn between 4.56 and 4.88. How are you liking your 4.88s? Does it feel wound up on I5 at 70?

Driving from Vegas to SF sucked on 3.21, the first hill out of Vegas, a semi passed me up. I was in 3rd gear going 70 mph trying to chase it at 3.5-4 rpm if i recall. Driving on the I5 north I was mostly in 4th gear, and driving around the bay area in 4th gear as well. After the re-gear, it finally goes to 5th gear and eco comes on. I like the 4.88, cruising at 70 in at 2800 RPM. I have no experience with 4.56. I think you'll be happy with 4.88

LVJeepney

Did you use a procal or other programmer? I'm going to go to 315/70/17s soon w/3.21 gears in my 2013. Thinking I'll eventually regear but want to build up some cash after the cost from a lift, wheels and tires.

I have the superchip flashcal. I re-calibrated when I put on the 35's, and re-calibrated again with the gear change.

sgregg108

I have the superchip flashcal. I re-calibrated when I put on the 35's, and re-calibrated again with the gear change.

Sounds good, I'm going to get the gears done before I install the new wheels / tires.

Brankz

Put 35s on my Rubicon and didn't notice any power drop for mpg drop at all. Would change to 4.88 if ever go with 37s though

Sent from my SM-G900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Man...... Don't lie! You know you drop your mpg and power.

StrizzyChris

I got 20MPG from Tahoe back to my house!

That's impressive because you're Filipino and i assumed that you built some nonaerodynamic nose piece to bolt on the front, painted the whole Jeep chrome, and went crazy on lights. ;)

Jeepney+ed.jpg

jkjurny

That's impressive because you're Filipino and i assumed that you built some nonaerodynamic nose piece to bolt on the front, painted the whole Jeep chrome, and went crazy on lights. ;)

Jeepney+ed.jpg

LOL! Filipino's needed to do something to all the Jeeps that were left there from WWII. I guess this was the flare they added haha.

StrizzyChris

My favorite part, from my visit last year, was when they added Bentley grills, Jaguar hood ornaments, and Mercedes emblems all over them! The back can get VERY cramped and all 5'10" of me felt like a giant in them! :cheesy:

jkjurny

My favorite part, from my visit last year, was when they added Bentley grills, Jaguar hood ornaments, and Mercedes emblems all over them! The back can get VERY cramped and all 5'10" of me felt like a giant in them! :cheesy:

There was a Jeepney documentary on either Discovery or National Geographic channel. There are 2 or 3 fab shops who specialize in building them today. I'll Google it when I'm home and post it up if I can find it.

Top Bottom