New rear end or new 4 link suspension

BEE'S TWIN

I've only had experience with RE and FT and both were really nice kits. I would recommend either. RK probably makes a good kit too but, I have no personal experience with it.

Fox will be more expensive. Bilstein 5100's will get the job done. I might even look at the new Rancho 7000MT as they are similar and cheaper.

Thanks Eddie...

sm31

I like it.. For that price, why not just do a LA?

1) I have no intention of exceeding 4" of suspension lift. Additional clearance I might need will be attained via a tummy tuck (soon) & fender modifications. At 4", no LA kit that I know of will reasonably exceed the performance of the SA kit from Savvy, on-road or off. And even if there is one, I'll never have the bank or time to build my rig beyond the capability of that Savvy kit.

2) A SA kit is much easier to install (no welding, cutting, painting, etc.). I can easily do it myself over the weekend.

3) A quality LA kit with all the components like this one from Clayton: http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/17_40/products_id/135
... is much more expensive, even before the significant "hidden" cost of a much more complex install.

4) I'm about to bite into a JKU project soon because the monkeys AND my newfie pup just don't fit in the TJ anymore. :D

BEE'S TWIN

1) I have no intention of exceeding 4" of suspension lift. Additional clearance I might need will be attained via a tummy tuck (soon) & fender modifications. At 4", no LA kit that I know of will reasonably exceed the performance of the SA kit from Savvy, on-road or off. And even if there is one, I'll never have the bank or time to build my rig beyond the capability of that Savvy kit.

2) A SA kit is much easier to install (no welding, cutting, painting, etc.). I can easily do it myself over the weekend.

3) A quality LA kit with all the components like this one from Clayton: http://claytonoffroad.com/product_info.php/cPath/17_40/products_id/135
... is much more expensive, even before the significant "hidden" cost of a much more complex install.

4) I'm about to bite into a JKU project soon because the monkeys AND my newfie pup just don't fit in the TJ anymore. :D

I got ya.. Sounds like a good way to go.. I think I am going to take your idea.. What size tires you running?

sm31

I got ya.. Sounds like a good way to go.. I think I am going to take your idea.. What size tires you running?

Currently 33" MTR-K's. They are a bit on the large side compared to many 33's out there. Even with 3.75" of total lift (2.5 suspension & 1.25 body), I had to trim an inch off the stock flares to keep from rubbing. And BTW, even though my current setup might be more mild than you are interested in, the OME shocks & springs provide fantastic ride quality all by itself. With my attention turning to a JKU project, I might just leave it at that... I dunno yet.

I learned most of what I know about jeep suspensions from someone named Imped over on Jeepforum. If you want an incredibly detailed (and long), but interesting read, check out his build thread here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/rock-crawling-go-cart-something-698250/

He is obviously a Savvy fan, but provides compelling reasons why. There are also lengthy discussions about the merits of SA and LA. Over time, he has virtually rebuilt his entire suspension in an extremely well thought out manner. If I had the time & money, I'd probably follow his build almost to the letter. What I like most about the project is that he was/is unwilling to compromise on-road performance.

BEE'S TWIN

Currently 33" MTR-K's. They are a bit on the large side compared to many 33's out there. Even with 3.75" of total lift (2.5 suspension & 1.25 body), I had to trim an inch off the stock flares to keep from rubbing. And BTW, even though my current setup might be more mild than you are interested in, the OME shocks & springs provide fantastic ride quality all by itself. With my attention turning to a JKU project, I might just leave it at that... I dunno yet.

I learned most of what I know about jeep suspensions from someone named Imped over on Jeepforum. If you want an incredibly detailed (and long), but interesting read, check out his build thread here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/rock-crawling-go-cart-something-698250/

He is obviously a Savvy fan, but provides compelling reasons why. There are also lengthy discussions about the merits of SA and LA. Over time, he has virtually rebuilt his entire suspension in an extremely well thought out manner. If I had the time & money, I'd probably follow his build almost to the letter. What I like most about the project is that he was/is unwilling to compromise on-road performance.

I was actually looking at doing a LA from RK or RE or FT.. So your way is not to mild at all.. Sounds like the SA is the way to go.. I rode in a buddy's rig that had that Rough Country lid on that was an LA and it rode nice. I have heard quite a bit about Savy so might go that direction.. Just want something with some flex to it..

mikefishes

Can I jump in??

I noticed either Eddie or SM31 mentioned different springs and lower pressures. I found that the lower pressures helped a bunch. I am still running stock springs on a 2.5 spacer lift. How would I choose new springs?

sm31

I was actually looking at doing a LA from RK or RE or FT.. So your way is not to mild at all..

Well since you're in Utah... Y'all have different standards for "mild" jeep builds compared to the rest of us. ;) We do OK in Wyoming, but you guys set the standard IMO. If your end goal is a full on build ready to take on Upper Helldorado then mine is mild alright!

As for stock TJ spring rates, I don't recall the exact rate (135-ish?), but I don't think they're all that different from many aftermarket springs. Shocks is where you get bang for your buck in ride quality. You will get some benefit from the extra travel (up front mainly), etc. of a full spring instead of a spacer. There are some great spring/shock combo's out there. I couldn't be happier with my OME lift, and there are others that consistently rate well. Bilstein seems to get really high marks these days... Then there are some that consistently rate poorly like Pro Comp and Skyjacker.

BEE'S TWIN

Well since you're in Utah... Y'all have different standards for "mild" jeep builds compared to the rest of us. ;) We do OK in Wyoming, but you guys set the standard IMO. If your end goal is a full on build ready to take on Upper Helldorado then mine is mild alright!

As for stock TJ spring rates, I don't recall the exact rate (135-ish?), but I don't think they're all that different from many aftermarket springs. Shocks is where you get bang for your buck in ride quality. You will get some benefit from the extra travel (up front mainly), etc. of a full spring instead of a spacer. There are some great spring/shock combo's out there. I couldn't be happier with my OME lift, and there are others that consistently rate well. Bilstein seems to get really high marks these days... Then there are some that consistently rate poorly like Pro Comp and Skyjacker.

Ya Skyjacker is what I have and I am seeing the quality in it.. Not real impressed.. I heard the OME is the best ride quality out there.. I Am just building mine so I can go on most the trails in Moab and around here without having to worry about breaking something and have a good on road handling with comfort.. Picky I guess you could say..

Top Bottom