New Wheels and Tires and sticking out of the fenders

Flynlo

If it were me, I wouldn't obsess over 1" bigger tires and I would just pick up a set of 35x12.50's. Hell, at least they say 35 on the sidewalls and your friends won't have to do the math in their heads to know how big your tires are. Again, EVEN AT THAT, you will feel power loss, just not as much as you would with a bigger set of tires. But hey, that's just me.

Ha, fair enough. I appreciate your input. In your experiences would you say that the 315/75r16 is the closest thing to a 34" tall tire?

jeeeep

Hooked
IMO I think too many people get hung up on stated versus actual size.

my 315's were technically 35's but mounted they measured out at about 32-33 can't remember exactly - they had a great stance and provided much better clearance over stock or my buddy's 33's

I now have 37's which measure out at 34.5 on the edge of the tread or 35 on the top.

With the 315's and 4.88 I regained power and mileage on my 3.8, with the 37's there was a drop in power and I'd say pretty considerable drop in gas mileage, it's not much height difference but the overall size makes a difference.

OP you keep saying you don't want to lose mileage but the actual tire size you are wanting contradicts your mileage needs. Also, with 37's you'll need to make sure you have gussets and some power assist, especially if your wife is the primary driver.

I still have the 315's and put them on my 2015 with 3.21 gears. I was surprised how well it still felt, the power drop wasn't too bad and the 5speed makes a big difference as well. I'll do a gear change when I put them on for permanent use but all is back to stock for now.

:twocents:

Flynlo

IMO I think too many people get hung up on stated versus actual size.

my 315's were technically 35's but mounted they measured out at about 32-33 can't remember exactly - they had a great stance and provided much better clearance over stock or my buddy's 33's

I now have 37's which measure out at 34.5 on the edge of the tread or 35 on the top.

With the 315's and 4.88 I regained power and mileage on my 3.8, with the 37's there was a drop in power and I'd say pretty considerable drop in gas mileage, it's not much height difference but the overall size makes a difference.

OP you keep saying you don't want to lose mileage but the actual tire size you are wanting contradicts your mileage needs. Also, with 37's you'll need to make sure you have gussets and some power assist, especially if your wife is the primary driver.

I still have the 315's and put them on my 2015 with 3.21 gears. I was surprised how well it still felt, the power drop wasn't too bad and the 5speed makes a big difference as well. I'll do a gear change when I put them on for permanent use but all is back to stock for now.

:twocents:

I'm not going to get a set of 37's, Doesn't makes sense with how I drive or off-road and my Jeep just isn't ready for it, also my wife is only driving it until I get back from overseas. My current 33's measure out to 32's and I was okay with that. Moving up in sizes I'm happy with the way 35's sit under the JK's that I've seen and I think that will be plenty for me. Even if they don't measure up to 35", just as long as their bigger than what I have now, I'll be happy. Besides only my speedo and I will know exactly how tall they are anyway. :bleh:

Flynlo

JEEEP, if I'm not mistaken a 17x9 wheel with 4.5" BS will cause it's tire to stick out the same distance as a 17x8 wheel with 4" BS. They both have the same -12mm offset. Does that sound correct? BTW the wife has always wanted her own wrangler, so it might be time to trade in her Escape. Happy wife right?

jeeeep

Hooked
JEEEP, if I'm not mistaken a 17x9 wheel with 4.5" BS will cause it's tire to stick out the same distance as a 17x8 wheel with 4" BS. They both have the same -12mm offset. Does that sound correct? BTW the wife has always wanted her own wrangler, so it might be time to trade in her Escape. Happy wife right?

should be close, but it depends on the tire you choose as to how the sidewall will bulge making it look more or less squatty. Check the tire manufacturer wheel width recommendations.

you may also get a little more rubbing when turning, I removed the plastic air dam and also used longer brake lines so I could zip them clear of the tire when turning. The tire edges were rubbing the brake lines when backing up while turning, took me a while to figure it out so just FYI on things to check, don't want the tire to snag the brake line.

Top Bottom