Nitto Ridge Grappler issues?

TrailHunter

Hooked
Dam... this tire is on my build list.. This thread is making me second guess a bit... Do you guys think mounting a 35x12.5 on the stock rubi wheel (thinner wheel) would enhance the problems talked about here?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

jonathanbottoms

I have had a vibration issue at around 65 with my Ridge Grapplers, I have a 2016 Ram Power Wagon, but saw this thread. I finally jacked up my front end the other weekend and spun my front tires with a 2 x 4 under the front wheel, about 1/4 " away to watch run out. I was totally shocked by the amount or run out on the tires... anyone who is having an issue should do this, it will brobably open your eyes. Once this happened I did as below

I took the Truck to Discount Tire here by me In Mesa AZ since Nitto wrote me back and said to take the truck to a n approved dealer in the area. Discount did a Road Force test on them, wound up dismounting and re-balanced all the tires. They said the worst one was 19 Lbs of Road force the rest were around 17. They are telling me these are within the Manufacturers acceptable range?? I have driven the truck for few days, though it rides a better it still a vibration around 65, road force numbers or not, there is a noticeable vibration. At this point I am done with NItto. I have balanced these tires 5 times now, and aligned the truck 3 times, not cheap at all to do. I have to contact Nitto again, as the vibration is back just as bad.

When the tires were new they rode pretty well, I only have 6500 miles on them, 8300 on the truck alltogether. My next Tires will be Toyo, I thought since Nitto was the sister company and the Ridge Grappler was a whole new mold, that they would be the same as what I have heard about the toyo M/T and R/T .... not so much ...

anyway, just wanted to post up my experience so far.

Anyway, just wanted to update.....
Ironically enough, I visited my local Discount Tire here in central Virginia yesterday afternoon. My intent was to have all 5 of my Ridge Grapplers completely dismounted, remounted, & re road force balanced. I described my ongoing issues with the tires to the technician, and they got to work. After about 10 minutes, I was told that they had found the problem. All of my tires were "balanced", however, my current front driver's side tire was showing 32 pounds of road force! They repositioned the tire on the wheel, and achieved 16 pounds. The speed based shimmy is probably 85% gone, for now.. I still have my reservations about these tires though. They're a great concept, but I'm not sold on Nitto's execution.

On another note, I asked one of the sales guys at DT about the much anticipated BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM3. He said "soon". He mentioned attending some kind of convention/demonstrations he had recently attended & had very high praises for them. I think set will be in my future to replace these Nittos..

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

jonathanbottoms

Dam... this tire is on my build list.. This thread is making me second guess a bit... Do you guys think mounting a 35x12.5 on the stock rubi wheel (thinner wheel) would enhance the problems talked about here?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
I'm honestly not sure. For every one of us experiencing problems with these tires, for whatever reason, there seem to be ten guys who absolutely love them and aren't having any issues at all. As with any tire, just make sure you get them all properly balanced the first time!

Sent from my Pixel XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Arrcherr

Caught the Bug
2012 JKS, I've had the Ridge Grapplers installed for about a year now 33 x 12.5/18 . I've got about 14k miles on them with multiple trips from Chicago to State College, PA. The tires have been great on and off road. Most of the off road use is work related accessing remote communication huts, no hardcore wheeling. Lots of snow and mud but no real rocks to speak of. I'm really happy with them overall, I feel for those that have not had the same type of experience I've had. Hopefully I didn't just get lucky with the set I got, and there was a bad batch or two.

Top Bottom