No more powder coating from Evo on sliders

so very worth it to file a claim so that they at least have documentation. now whether or they do anything, well that is different... i agree just a bit of rattlecan will fix it, but OP also mentioned his hardware fell out, if missing, will rustoleum handle that too?

and a bit of fyi, EVERYTHING that EVO has ever shipped me has been EXTREMELY well packed. Are companies supposed to pack things twice, just in case UPS decides to rip their original packaging apart?

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:

Marauder

Comedically enough UPS does want you to pack it twice; a container inside a container with a minimum 2 inch foam cushion. It's a fricken joke. I have have so much good stuff show up in busted containers and they told me to pound sand and too refer my shipper to their guidelines. I agree wholeheartedly UPS should pick up the tab but they made me so frustrated I just threw my hands up. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Rusty

I put on my Evo rocker panel armour around the 20th of december 2012... and by the end of January it was already rusted... through the paper like powder coat.. So I temporarily just through on some tremclad semi-gloss black till march, where I removed them from the jeep and shipped them to a local powder coater along with my evo front bumper and sliders. When it got there.. my sales rep told me it rusted for two reasons, Cheap powder coat and they didn't sandblast the piece before powder coating. So I got them the everything sandblasted than finished with a 2 stage system, first being a zinc primer, than the actually powder coat and I've scatched it on rocks and the powder coat still holds.
Ok so it costs roughly 100$ per piece.. versus 75$ that evo would charge...but for the climate where I live... it's worth every dollar if you want to keep your jeep looking good for a while.

I would never pay 75.00 to have someone paint something for me that I'm planning on using. :thinking:

I bought all my stuff from EVO bare metal, cleaned it up with paint prep, self etching primer, then a couple coats of rattle can. Was a but load less than 75.00 and I have had to touch it up about 100 times since then and you can't tell with flat blk. :rock:

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I would never pay 75.00 to have someone paint something for me that I'm planning on using. :thinking:

I bought all my stuff from EVO bare metal, cleaned it up with paint prep, self etching primer, then a couple coats of rattle can. Was a but load less than 75.00 and I have had to touch it up about 100 times since then and you can't tell with flat blk. :rock:

What paint prep did you use? And did you go with a smooth or textured finish?

biggy

X2 I end up spraying the sliders after almost every wheeling trip so powder coating is a waste of money for me. I used bedliner in a can which holds up great and is easy to touch up.

suicideking

I received mine about a month ago. So far very happy with the powder coat.

I would have saved the money and rattle canned them, but I was having them shipped to my mod shop so they can be installed. Otherwise, I would've had to go to the shop and paint myself. So figured I'd save the trouble and just spring for the powdercoat.

I did figure that they will be touched often from scratches. If you already have the powdercoat, I've heard Rustoleum gloss black (not flat) matches the finish well.

StrizzyChris

So I love the bumper, but this thread is about powdercoating...and here is mine

P6260303.jpg

I would recommend just going over it with a rattle can of flat black when its brand new. You cant even tell you did it, and itll save you some heartache in the end. I'm gonna touch this up with rustoleum rust converter since there's really not much to sand. This is a Cali jeep, and the bumper has never seen snow or salted roads.

Jerms

X2, or 3 or 4 on Evo's powder coating. Definitely not a pure powder coat, more like 2 layers of spray on rattle can. And like others, it's going to get scratched anyways. I've had mine for about 2 months now, and have some nice gouges in them. A little semi gloss later and it looks decent again. The main thing is, they're built right. If your going to wheel it hard, don't sweat the coat. Get em home, etch them, bedline em and beat em up!

OverlanderJK

Resident Smartass
I've had my EVO bumper on since April and there is no rusting at all and all the powder coating has held up strong.

I know for a fact if there is an issue EVO would take care of you. I have seen it first hand on a few rigs with some hiccups.

StrizzyChris

I've had my EVO bumper on since April and there is no rusting at all and all the powder coating has held up strong.

I know for a fact if there is an issue EVO would take care of you. I have seen it first hand on a few rigs with some hiccups.

While I don't disagree with you that they are a great company and would resolve any major defect, but its more hassle to get the part to them for repair than to touchup and paint it ourselves. Just sounds like its not an isolated occurrence and can easily be remedied ahead of time before it becomes a problem. And if it were an option to save money and order it raw, knowing what I know now, I would have done that :twocents:

jeeeep

Hooked
I would say if EVO is no longer offering powder coating as a default, they are resolving the issue with it. Another company I bought my bumper from put in perspective when I asked why they didn't powder coat...if the powder coat company would stand behind their work like they (bumper co.) do it wouldn't be a problem, but every powder coat company they approached either would not stand behind their work or the cost would be so much more they couldn't justify that much increase. So bare bumper, prepped properly and bedlined - looks great!

10frank9

Web Wheeler
I would say if EVO is no longer offering powder coating as a default, they are resolving the issue with it. Another company I bought my bumper from put in perspective when I asked why they didn't powder coat...if the powder coat company would stand behind their work like they (bumper co.) do it wouldn't be a problem, but every powder coat company they approached either would not stand behind their work or the cost would be so much more they couldn't justify that much increase. So bare bumper, prepped properly and bedlined - looks great!

I wholeheartedly agree. As I understand it, this is exactly the case with EVO. Rather than charge the customer what it would cost for a good, durable powdercoat, they just discontinued the option. Makes sense to me and I will not only enjoy finishing my sliders, I will probably save some decent $$ too.

13JKUR

I'm happy to hear the feedback and that I ordered them in bare steel. I went out and bought some bedliner in a spray can and will give that a shot.

TheDuff

spray on bed liner is awesome, its like duct tape in a can:beer:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

jeeeep

Hooked
I'm happy to hear the feedback and that I ordered them in bare steel. I went out and bought some bedliner in a spray can and will give that a shot.

be sure to do the prep work to the bare steel- it'll make a huge difference in how it turns out

Did this for my EVO sliders, front bumper and body armor!!! Works great, easy to do, and easy to fix after a tough day wheeling!!! All my husbands stuff was powder coated from EVO and yes some chipping already ;(.

Top Bottom