Noob locker questions

brooklyn4x4

Edit: called up northridge and sales rep Tim answered all my questions and the true trac does not sound like something I would want.

Thank you north ridge for your help.

So my jeep was recently involved in an accident, and my front wheel took a direct hit and bent my front axel. Due to that I am now up grading to a pr 44 from my d30. Now both my diffs have be open and I never had a locker before. But I figure while I have the opportunity to build an axel from scratch might as well do it right.

So here is where I am confused. I have the package option to get either a Detroit true trac, Detroit locker, arb air locker, or Eaton e-locker. Now I understand the arb air or the Eaton e locker involve wiring or a compressor and some kind of switch to turn the locker on or off. But I was reading about the Detroit true trac and I seems like it doesn't need any kind of switch. Am I wroung and it does or is it just always locked or does it some how know when it needs to lock and when it doesn't.

The true trac is the cheapest and I'm kind of leading towards it. So also oppions on it would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Last edited:
If you drive on Snow or Ice or Slick roads for that matter I would stay away from the Detroit locker - It decides when to lock.

10frank9

Web Wheeler
If you drive on Snow or Ice or Slick roads for that matter I would stay away from the Detroit locker - It decides when to lock.

This.

Lockers are expensive and definitely not worth the extra savings by going with the Detroit. But that's just my opinion.

huskerfan406

If you are driving daily then selectable lockers are your best bet! If not driven daily I would put the Detroit locker in the rear not the true trac, and ARB in the front to make it easier to steer offroad!

mudmobeeler

Caught the Bug
I believe the True Trac acts more like a limited slip or is more like a limited slip than an actual Detroit locker. Correct? I'm asking, I've never had any experience with one.

Also I believe even a Detroit locker is tolerable in the front axle on ice or slight snow providing your not in 4x4. Again I'm asking because I don't have any experience with them.

I was looking at the True Trac when I had my 08 X model JKU but traded in for the rubicon before I bought one.

huskerfan406

Yes the true Trac is a worm gear posi not a locker! And a Detroit will only work in the front while under pressure!

brooklyn4x4

I believe the True Trac acts more like a limited slip or is more like a limited slip than an actual Detroit locker. Correct? I'm asking, I've never had any experience with one.

Also I believe even a Detroit locker is tolerable in the front axle on ice or slight snow providing your not in 4x4. Again I'm asking because I don't have any experience with them.

I was looking at the True Trac when I had my 08 X model JKU but traded in for the rubicon before I bought one.

Thank you every one for your input mudmobeeler from what Tim at northridge explain to me if you have the Detroit true trac or Detroit locker it works like a limited slip diff and there is a clucht and springs in it that respond to pressure and it will still be active even if you aren't in 4 wheel drive and will increases your tire wear. He also said he wouldn't recommend it if it is your DD for that particular reason.

So I'm gonna look in to something that is selectable most likely the arb air locker.

USMCvet

Banned
I'm in the process of upgrading my front and rear assemblies in my JKUR. At first is was going to go with a detroit rear and truetrac front, which I ran in my Scout II for years. But after some research and realizing this was going to be my daily driver too, I opted for ARB air lockers front and rear. I'm mounting the compressor with a bracket that bolts to the brake booster then the comp bolts to it. The locker and comp switches are mounted to a Daystar panel below the radio - they are easily accessible. Running the harnesses were a bit tight but not that bad. The solenoids can be mounted to the comp or the fender well. Then run the airlines. It's working out pretty well and beer helps a great deal.

Top Bottom