NorCal/CenCal Snow Day - The info

Rccrwlr

THIS RUN HAS BEEN CANCELLED

Ok so to put the information in a clear and easy way to view. I created this thread. Lets keep it for the information only.

The Plan
Lets try this and see what happens
Jan 25th at 9:00 at the meeting location
Meeting location - Looks to be a big parking lot with plenty of space to play and air down while we wait for all to arrive:grouphug:
Gas - looking at Google Earth (imagery date 2007) gas station is not completed but hoping it is by now - bathroom and fill up?:thumb:
View attachment 61662

Still looking at Corral Meadows trail unless there is additional input. Reading up a bit on it it seems to be pretty mild so it should be food for all.

Meeting location to trail head
View attachment 61663

Corral Meadows Trail info from Bear Valley Website
Ride Stats:

length: 25 miles
time: 1:45:00
avg speed: 15 mph

This is a 25 mile loop, which starts at the Corral Meadow trailhead. The trailhead can be found about half a mile west of the Bear Valley town entrance. You'll know the trailhead by peeking off of Hwy 4 towards the north and you will see one of those National Forest trailhead signs. Actually you can also get there by turning into the "old subdivision", and take a left towards the west right away which turns into a dirt road and takes you to the trailhead. This latter method is only for motorcycles or mountain bikes... some boulders prevent 4 wheeled vehicles, including ATVs. Trucks and ATV's, please use the trailhead off of Hwy 4.

The trail takes you first to a peak at 7874 ft, Waypoint 1 on the map below. This spot gives you a nice view of the ski run Tigger, a black diamond run on the backside of Bear Valley Mountain Resort. You can continue on foot or mountain bike EAST from here, to Bear Valley Mountain Resort. This loop instead veers off to the east, to Waypoint 2, which provides a spectacular view at 8038 feet of the mountain ranges to the east and north. BTW, I passed a more or less stock jeep on the way to waypoint 1, so it's doable for a basic 4x4.

From here, you continue on to Corral Meadow area, though I didn't see any meadow at all. The trail all along has been a mixture of easy climbs to tricky segments with lots of basketball to larger sized rock in your way.

By the way, this trail is not marked well on the Garmin Topo West map. It does exist on the USGS Tamarack Quadrangle (purchased at nearby ranger stations). As I watched my handlebar mounted GPS, I was certain that this trail would take me to Salt Springs Reservoir, but the closest I got was 1.5 miles, on this trail.

As you continue on the way to Waypoint 3, you join USFS trail system 1A. This trail is actually a wide, flat fireroad, all the way back to Hwy 4. Some logging clearing/operations will mark your progress. Waypoint 3 is a red hunting cabin. Looks to me like it's open to the visitor who would come out this far. Very rough accommodations, not at all windproof, probably leaks alot. A wood stove inside, lots of firewood, and some supplies inside, cooking oil, small amount of water, pots/pans, matches will help you survive the night. There is an upstairs, so to speak, where the heat probably concentrates, and you could set up your sleeping bag there.
Two logs books, one full, the other half full, tell tales of visitors who stayed. Fire ring nearby, out house for when nature calls. If you come with food, there is a log strung up to hang your food out of bear reach.

Continuing on from here you join USFS road 7N09, which is even wider and flatter fire road. You'll probably start to see other off roaders, ATV'ers, etc. at this point. Eventually you exit the trail on Hwy 4, at the Cabbage Patch area. From here up to Bear Valley for a beer, it's about a 15min ride at speed.

Topo for reference
View attachment 61664

Garmin GPS GPX file from OurBV Website - LINK - Sorry for the redirect - not sure how else to do this

Last edited:
The Attendees

WOL reps

Going (NorCal)
1) Rccrwlr
2) Crippledpetey
3) MagellanJenn
4) 2013rubirick
5) ??mysteryguest??
6) Panda w/CrawlerKitty (90%)
7)

Maybe
1) Fitzblsy
2) Tazman904
3) Turbostevey
4) MTG
5) Tdijet
6)

Going (CenCal)
1) pastorwug
2) Conman
3) JK's JK
4)

Maybe
1) OverlanderJK
2) rubicrawl
3)

Last edited:
Now - the Issues

Looks like we may have put the cart before the horse. We got so excited that when we were looking at locations we never didn't consider that the Forest Service may have the trails closed - Thanks to BlackDiamondBound for giving us a heads up. He provided quite a bit of useful information as to who to contact etc for the trail we are looking at running. This is something that we should have done up front and a good lesson if this all falls through.

Looking at the map found by BDB - it looks like the trail we are running is 17EV485 (Google maps shows this as 7N35). This trail traverses in to several other trails but really it doesn't matter as they are all highlighted in gray. In fact all of the trails in the area are highlighted in gray. The gray highlighted trails are seasonal and per the map are only open form April 15 to Dec 15. As we are looking at going Jan 25th we may have a problem.

JK JK's talked about calling in the morning to see if we are trying to use a closed trail. No one wants a ticket let alone rep WOL while not "treading Lightly"!!

I will also call and see if there are issues. I am hoping that due to the lack of weather we may get a brake.

Stay tuned.....

Ok.......I just talked with the ranger station and the only road that's open is 7N01H. That is a small little blip on the map. Now she said we could possible get a pass to drive on 17EV485 and the other roads associated with that but I have to talk with another ranger (she's assuming). She also said roads can also be traveled with 12" of snow and greater but only for ATV's. So I was transferred over to extension 309, guy named Jeff. I left him a message to contact me for information on possible roads that can be traveled or permit. I'll post once I've received information about this.

Contact information to the ranger station is:

Calaveras District
5519 Highway 4
PO Box 500
Hathaway Pines, CA 95233
(209) 795-1381

***************EDIT*********************

I did not receive a call from Jeff. If I have not heard from him by Thursday, I'll call him Friday mid day.

Last edited:
Ok.......I just talked with the ranger station and the only road that's open is 7N01H. That is a small little blip on the map. Now she said we could possible get a pass to drive on 17EV485 and the other roads assocaited with that but I have to talk with another ranger (she's assuming). She also said roads can also be traveled with 12" of snow and greater but only for ATV's. So I was transfered over to extention 309, guy named Jeff. I left him a message to contact me for information on possible roads that can be traveled or permit. I'll post once I've received information about this.

Contact information to the ranger station is:

Calaveras District
5519 Highway 4
PO Box 500
Hathaway Pines, CA 95233
(209) 795-1381

Thanks for working on this!

what is the ride date and time

Now - the Issues

Looks like we may have put the cart before the horse. We got so excited that when we were looking at locations we never didn't consider that the Forest Service may have the trails closed - Thanks to BlackDiamondBound for giving us a heads up. He provided quite a bit of useful information as to who to contact etc for the trail we are looking at running. This is something that we should have done up front and a good lesson if this all falls through.

Looking at the map found by BDB - it looks like the trail we are running is 17EV485 (Google maps shows this as 7N35). This trail traverses in to several other trails but really it doesn't matter as they are all highlighted in gray. In fact all of the trails in the area are highlighted in gray. The gray highlighted trails are seasonal and per the map are only open form April 15 to Dec 15. As we are looking at going Jan 25th we may have a problem.

JK JK's talked about calling in the morning to see if we are trying to use a closed trail. No one wants a ticket let alone rep WOL while not "treading Lightly"!!

I will also call and see if there are issues. I am hoping that due to the lack of weather we may get a brake.

Stay tuned.....

The date is the 25th of January but the issue is the trails maybe closed completely until the mid of next year. I'm currently waiting on a reply from the forest department guy that handles off road trails. I'll post once I've heard from Jeff from the Forest service.

Thank you for the interest and hope for the best. I am however thinking of a back up plan if it does not go though and I'll post that once I've received that information.

bad news!

I was just able to talk to the forest service at Calaveras District. They are not sure how much snow is on the roads right now, said to check back a week or so before the trip. The hitch is, if there is snow on any of the trails they are closed. They will not do permits for a ride across due to erosion prevention. If we want a snow run we need to look at areas that allow it :( Not looking good at this point to do those runs. Plan C???

What about trying a diferent district? There's a 4wd club near me that does a snow run every year (big event) up in seqoiua or Kings Canyon National parks. Even Shaver district is more relaxed about it since Bald Mountain trail is usually open year around.

We are Jeep..Resistance is futile..

I went to Bald yesterday with a pretty good sized group, the trail was fun but if your looking for snow you won't find it here...sorry I don't have a great picture of the terrain...

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1388707872.189939.jpg

Lucy told me I have family coming from Thailand (Missionaries) that weekend, so I guess I'm out now. Guess it was a surprise visit!
Yup - surprise - we're not home!

Just kidding.

I was just able to talk to the forest service at Calaveras District. They are not sure how much snow is on the roads right now, said to check back a week or so before the trip. The hitch is, if there is snow on any of the trails they are closed. They will not do permits for a ride across due to erosion prevention. If we want a snow run we need to look at areas that allow it :( Not looking good at this point to do those runs. Plan C???

I guess there is no need to call anymore. Canceling the hotel stay.

Well unless someone has a better plan then this is turning into a bust. Not to be the downer but not sure about a last min "call and see" idea of a run with this many people. So at this point I'm going to call it and say run CANCELLED. Anyone want to start a new thread with a drought/weather resistant trail?

Disappointing to be honest. Well if anyone can find a good location generally in the middle, I'd be down.

Hope to wheel with you all. :rock:

I am however thinking of doing a Bold Mountain run. I'm confident that there will be snow fall by then.

Top Bottom