Odd sound at start up

Jackal01

Off and on the engine (3.8) makes this sound that I can only describe as scraping or grinding. It happens only at a cold start but not every time...maybe half the time. It has taken me two weeks (going on longer than that, though) to get it on video since there is no other pattern to it. Anyone have an idea what it is? Video taken this morning.

Last edited:

BumblebeeZA

I get the same sound, I dont always get it with a cold start though. Seldom in the mornings, but when Im done at work and start my Jeep up to go home, it makes that sound or when I start it up when I go out for lunch.

I think its got to do with the starter not releasing or something and the gears get caught up, well thats what it sounds like.
I hope you "and I" can get some light shed here :yup:

jeeeep

Hooked
when did it start? Did you have the oil changed recently? It may be the starter but it also sounds like a dry start, caused by a filter that's allowing drain off.

Jackal01

when did it start? Did you have the oil changed recently? It may be the starter but it also sounds like a dry start, caused by a filter that's allowing drain off.

Synthetic oil change about 2000 miles ago, day after Thanksgiving. Checked oil level a couple days ago and it is good.

I wanna say it started after the oil change but only within the past month. Like I said it is difficult to really even figure that out because it would it then not do it for a week or more then just starts back up. But it has surely become regular here in the past month albeit no real pattern I can tell.

I posted this recently. Not sure if related or not. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?24311-Is-my-tranny-leaking

jeeeep

Hooked
what brand oil filter did you use?I found the Fram tough guard , the Mopar or Wix work best to avoid drain-back

Jay_r24

This makes total sense now...The reason I say this is because the last week maybe two I had the same sound. And just yesterday I smelt burning oil as I was driving. pulled over opened up the hood and oil all over!! It was dripping from underneath as well. I cleaned all the oil off of everything, inspected and found there was a crack/hole in my filter.

Jackal01

what brand oil filter did you use?I found the Fram tough guard , the Mopar or Wix work best to avoid drain-back

I am using Purolator Pure One ( yellow, Pep Boys). First time I have used that brand filter. Perhaps the drain back (I assume like a backlog prevente) valve isn't good or has failed? I guess a cheap test would be to buy a new filter? If so, why would it fail so quickl? Just bad quality?

jeeeep

Hooked
I am using Purolator Pure One ( yellow, Pep Boys). First time I have used that brand filter. Perhaps the drain back (I assume like a backlog prevente) valve isn't good or has failed? I guess a cheap test would be to buy a new filter? If so, why would it fail so quickl? Just bad quality?

never understood why some fail, if they have the anti-drainback valve they all claim to be made of silicone.

If you think you're having dry starts, I'd try another filter.

I was getting dry start if it sat for more than 2 days, I forget what brand filter I was using at the time but I went back to the Mopar then tested the Fram tough guard (it seems a little bit larger) and Wix, all 3 worked well. IMO the fram worked best after sitting for 2 weeks, fired right up no dry start. Have been using Fram since.

Brankz

I use mobile one full syn
And mopar filter or mobile one....
To prevent dry start something similar happen to my 2 door and with my new JKU when cold start
Changing the oil tomorrow.
I can get the fancy oil and filter for super a cheap almost free 😁 good thing about working at shitty oreilys lol

Jackal01

never understood why some fail, if they have the anti-drainback valve they all claim to be made of silicone.

If you think you're having dry starts, I'd try another filter.

I was getting dry start if it sat for more than 2 days, I forget what brand filter I was using at the time but I went back to the Mopar then tested the Fram tough guard (it seems a little bit larger) and Wix, all 3 worked well. IMO the fram worked best after sitting for 2 weeks, fired right up no dry start. Have been using Fram since.

I'll try a new filter. I have used Fram and liked them so Fram it is.

jgrmstr

Have the same sound on my 2009 w/97K on it, can't recall exactly when it started happening (last 6 months??) but have always run Mobil 1 Synth and filters... Only does it intermittently in the a.m. after sitting all night. Figured it was something to do with the starter hanging as mentioned... hopefully someone has better insight.

Top Bottom